The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
It was*** like that here too... The 'small' serving looked like that. The 'regular' serving was what your 'snack size' must have been like before you split it. If you actually wanted 'small', the best bet would have been to order a child's portion. I have a big appetite but a regular portion was almost too much for me. No wonder obesity is on the increase!

*** The chip shop is under new management since lockdown. They used to use vegetable oil for frying, but the new owners use lard so I am boycotting them! (It isn't a huge loss since I can't afford to spend £5+ on one meal very often anyway - £5/day is what I budget for food, drink and other household item

I’m old enough to remember going to the local chippy to buy 3D ( old money)with some batter bits thrown
in.Fish and chips were at that time were a cheap meal.Becoming more of a luxury meal these days:stop::stop:
:blush:)

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Barnstaple this evening. :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Barnstaple this evening. :smile:

View attachment 545468
That looks nice.

My sister has just bought a house near Exeter to retire to so I hope to have many post-Covid cycling holidays in Devon. I will be leaving 1 or 2 spare bikes down there so I can travel light.

I will cycle up to Barnstaple to check it out! It should be about a 120 km round trip, so that would be a nice summer day out.

classic33

Leg End Member
That looks nice.

My sister has just bought a house near Exeter to retire to so I hope to have many post-Covid cycling holidays in Devon. I will be leaving 1 or 2 spare bikes down there so I can travel light.

I will cycle up to Barnstaple to check it out! It should be about a 120 km round trip, so that would be a nice summer day out.
He can buy you a pint when you get there.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
D'oh - I've just remembered that I went to Barnstaple on my Devon holiday in 2017! I cycled from Chudleigh to Exeter with my cousin and we caught the train to Barnstaple and then cycled back. We didn't spend more than a few minutes in the town. As soon as we left the station we set off on the Tarka Trail and headed back via Bideford. An enjoyable total of 115 km for the day.

classic33

Leg End Member
D'oh - I've just remembered that I went to Barnstaple on my Devon holiday in 2017! I cycled from Chudleigh to Exeter with my cousin and we caught the train to Barnstaple and then cycled back. We didn't spend more than a few minutes in the town. As soon as we left the station we set off on the Tarka Trail and headed back via Bideford. An enjoyable total of 115 km for the day.
They ran a 00 locomotive along that trail.

12boy

Guru
I do find your discussion of portion size interesting since even now restaurants in this place are judged by how much you can eat and secondly how good it is. There's a place in the booming metropolis of Hudson, pop. 300 that serves a relish tray, dinner rolls, pirogies, cabbage rolls, an iceberg lettuce salad and then a 72 oz steak. I was groaning before the steak and baked potato arrived and mine was a puny 16 oz t-bone. The worst of it was it was all really good so all the preliminary stuff was too good to eschew. Get it, eschew?
Today it was 35C with snow on Monday so Mrs 12 wanted to go to the lake. (Actually a reservoir caused by damning a river....most natural western lakes are tiny). So we did and I took a few pics. This area has yielded a lot of dinosaur fossils, mostly from the layers of red rock. I didn't get a pic but the iridium layer which supposedly was created by the meteor hitting the earth and causing the great extinction is clearly visible. This being the beginning of the Labor Day weekend and every space was filled with giant trailers, each with a noisy generator going full blast. This place is about 30 miles from our front door. And yeah, it took me all afternoon to get that rock on the other one in the first pic .

Attachments

• IMG_20200904_160050.jpg
    IMG_20200904_160050.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200904_154524.jpg
    IMG_20200904_154524.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200904_154204.jpg
    IMG_20200904_154204.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200904_151327.jpg
    IMG_20200904_151327.jpg