The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
Here's today's tomatoes to be picked. Also have carrots and a bunch of zucchini and yellow summer squash. I need a bunch of manure to till in this fall when the gardens done for next spring. I've found shallots do very well next to tomatoes and they do much better here than onions for some reason.

Attachments

• IMG_20200831_071641.jpg
    IMG_20200831_071641.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200831_071825.jpg
    IMG_20200831_071825.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200831_071831.jpg
    IMG_20200831_071831.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200831_071709.jpg
    IMG_20200831_071709.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200831_071800.jpg
    IMG_20200831_071800.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 3

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I won’t show this to Mrs Kog , she has spent long time nurturing tomatoes which were in tubs on our patio now all in the compost bins . Long story short , in our village we are on a low part of the drainage system ,so if there is a blockage somewhere in the area it flows down our driveway and onto the patio. We both lost our appetite for home grown tomatoes after the tubs had stood In effluent over night . View attachment 544556
Shame you binned the plants. Many a good tomato was grown at sewage plants.

D

Deleted member 1258

I got back about half one having ridden 56 miles, Earlswood and back, it was more like a winter ride than an end of summer ride, I was wearing a winter jacket and gloves on the way out and only put my gloves in my back pocket when I came out the cafe to ride home, and I had cold arms for most of the ride. It was a deceptive ride, it appeared to be calm but it was a slow hard ride so I recon there was a bit of a breeze about, it was also grey and cloudy for most of the ride. I did the shorter route out and the longer route back, I rode out through Balsall Common, past Badesley Clinton, Packwood House and Henley In Arden. I rode back through Henley In Arden, past Danzey Green, up Pig Trot lane, through Lowsenford, Hatton and on to Balsall Common and home. It turned out to be a good morning on the bike, but a bit more warmth and a bit more pace would have been nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulSB

Squire
Have to tell you this looks like a watering issue. Tomatoes respond well to a regular amount of water. Mine get two litres per day, four in hot weather.

If the watering is erratic, flood followed by drought, varying amounts every day, overwatering will all give a variety of leaf symptoms.

Shouldn't stop them ripening though.

D

Deleted member 1258

Shame you binned the plants. Many a good tomato was grown at sewage plants.

In the days before mains water and sewage systems a lot of people had a toilet down the bottom of the garden consisting of a bucket and a plank of wood with a hole in it, it was common practice for the contents of the bucket to be dug into the veg patch.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Just been reminded { thank you mo } about the Tour of France so turned the telly on. I am not particularly interested in the racing but mainly watch the background scenery. Never been in the area where they are currently racing but last years's tour covered some areas we cycled in many years ago and nothing much seems to have changed. Very nostalgic.

Top Bottom