The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
@Dave7 I have to say I think trailing Pansy will be a mistake. If you must have these try to search out Pansy Cool Wave - it comes in a variety of colours but not a huge range. If you planted Viola at the front there is a slight chance they will trail a little over the edges.

If Mrs D is determined to have trailing plants at the front I suggest ivy. A good garden centre will have plants which are already 9**-12" long. You might have to search a bit for these, the sooner the better as current crops will be longer due to summer growth.

** in the industry trailing ivy with a 9" trail is an unofficial standard. Nothing legal just what is expected.

I'll think about something for the back. Are these plants you will pull out and throw away in spring when you do the summer planting?

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Dave7 I have to say I think trailing Pansy will be a mistake. If you must have these try to search out Pansy Cool Wave - it comes in a variety of colours but not a huge range. If you planted Viola at the front there is a slight chance they will trail a little over the edges.

If Mrs D is determined to have trailing plants at the front I suggest ivy. A good garden centre will have plants which are already 9**-12" long. You might have to search a bit for these, the sooner the better as current crops will be longer due to summer growth.

** in the industry trailing ivy with a 9" trail is an unofficial standard. Nothing legal just what is expected.

I'll think about something for the back. Are these plants you will pull out and throw away in spring when you do the summer planting?
Yes.....purely for the winter. Chuck them away come spring.
Cool wave is what she wanted.
Thanks

GM

Legendary Member
Morning all... I was hoping to check in earlier when I went back to bed with my :cuppa: after emptying the dog at 7 o/c, but internet was slow. Managed to get S.O.T.S on my phone and a bluetooth speaker. No internet on my tablet, my little bedroom is the furtherest from router. Martha played some great songs, one of the best era's for music I reckon!
Not cold enough for the central heating yet, but we did have to close a couple of windows.

PaulSB

Squire
Yes.....purely for the winter. Chuck them away come spring.
Cool wave is what she wanted.
Thanks
The best choice for trailing Pansy.

Ok, background plants. If you want height these are almost bound to be evergreen shrubs or conifers. Plants grow slowly in winter so you will need to buy something which has already achieved the height you want.

My first thought is grasses. Wide range of colour and form which could be left in the container in summer and contrast well with bedding plants. Grasses could also be happily dug out of the container and repositioned elsewhere, a lot of the other options won't like this.

Evergreens are generally slow growing and therefore more expensive. There are some which are grown in millions specifically for this purpose and they will be cheaper. There are a few conifers grown this way, for bright gold colour look for Cupressus macrocarpa Goldcrest or similar. There are a number of different varieties or cultivars, by variety/cultivar mean the last name. It's the first two which are more important. You'll find quite a range of blue or green conifers. The Goldcrest and similar will prefer protection from cold wind. It's almost certainly the one you will see in garden centres.

For evergreen shrubs consider Skimmia, winter flowering heather, taller Euonymous, perhaps "evergreen" Euphorbia.

By all means have a look through the shrub area for ideas but you are more likely to find these items in the area dedicated to bedding plant or looking good/impulse plants.

You will find better ranges in a decent garden centre than B&Q etc. but "might" strike lucky at Aldi.

Sorry to use botanical names, there either aren't any or I don't know them.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Squire
How do some of you, OAPs, managed to do that sort of mileage so early in the morning, ( 36 and 51 miles) ? Are you sure you are not lying about your age and more like in your 30's really ? I am green with envy because when I do 30 miles plus, I think I have done well. :rolleyes:
Chapeau to you and may it last. :notworthy:
I think @screenman went by car which is of course cheating :laugh:

My buddies and I always ride in the morning as it leaves the afternoon free for doing stuff. If I ride in the afternoon I tend to do nothing for the rest of the day as I'm beginning to feel tired.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
How do some of you, OAPs, managed to do that sort of mileage so early in the morning, ( 36 and 51 miles) ? Are you sure you are not lying about your age and more like in your 30's really ? I am green with envy because when I do 30 miles plus, I think I have done well. :rolleyes:
Think it's the thought of my breakfast that keeps me going! :laugh:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Two or three magnets on their wheels ;)

Top Bottom