The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
I was on an early morning walk at that time.

It's all I can do to stagger down to the kitchen for a brew!!

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Nice walk up to the Cheese Wring this morning. F&C in St. Cleer then back to the van for for an afternoon executive power nap. ^_^

IMG_20190412_114156453.jpg

IMG_20190412_114156453.jpg

IMG_20190412_114011156_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190412_113249782.jpg

PaulSB

Squire
@Dave7 I fully agree with @Paulus . My working life was spent in horticulture, much of it working with garden centres. A couple of other comments.

Pansy can get frosted and the leaves turn black. This would happen at around -6/7C. Thinking about Geranium the traditional date for planting more tender plants is May 15th onwards. This is a median date and can vary by 2-3 weeks either way depending on location.

If by adding compost you mean something you buy in a garden centre my personal view is this has little impact. A peat based compost can/will dry out and won't aid moisture. If you use a non peat based compost water retention is better. If using peat a cheap tomato growbag will do and is probably better for this job.

Regarding garden centres not covering geraniums. It's possible the construction of the canopy stops frost coming through. It's quite likely the centre will cover with fleece at closing time.

On the question of frost. I had 22 years in bedding plants. If the forecast was +4/5C we would protect against frost. It's easy for temperatures to hit 0C and lower around 5/6.00am. We grew millions of plants and were rarely caught out using this rule.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I was on an early morning walk at that time.

See anything sinister?

classic33

Leg End Member
Morning all.

Another gorgeous day in Wensleydale.

Did an amazing walk yesterday where the lambs were plopping out of the ewes as we strolled through the meadows. Surprising how long some of them took to get to their feet after being born. Mutt was on a short lead but didn't seem in the least bit interested.

Walked around the top of Whether Fell where you can see the North Sea & the Irish Sea at the same time. Bit too hazy yesterday though.

Another walk this morning, a short ride this afternoon then pack the van & head for home.

Have a good day everyone.
Did the earth move for you this morning?

Top Bottom