The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Got to nip in to Helston this morning to stock up on supplies, then off to look at a couple of Bronze Age hill forts.
There's a vague possibility that I might be dragged into a local hostelry for a spot of lunch later.

Now theres a surprise :laugh:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I got dragged in to the Halzephron Inn at Gunwalloe. Nice sarnie and chips.:okay:
Beer's not too bad either....

View attachment 460747
Sorry to disagree, but Doombar is like the modern version of Watneys Red Barrel. It is ubiquitous, and you can get it anywhere in the country. A bit like London Pride, but not as nice. I much prefer the St Austell beers, Proper Job in particular

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Sorry to disagree, but Doombar is like the modern version of Watneys Red Barrel. It is ubiquitous, and you can get it anywhere in the country. A bit like London Pride, but not as nice. I much prefer the St Austell beers, Proper Job in particular
I agree, however this Doom Bar was very good and brewed in Cornwall.
Most of it, drunk in other parts of the country, is brewed in Burton on Trent.
It's a bit like having a Guiness in Dublin compared to anywhere else.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had a Doombar in Manchester 2 weeks ago.
I assumed I couldnt go wrong with it. I assumed wrong :sad:. It looked good but tasted like the pipes needed cleaning

Dave7

Legendary Member
Played golf today. It was COOOOLLD and windy.....not nice. Fortunate to finish just as the heavy rain started.
Now sat in conservatory with a nice cognac while chicken kievs and potatoes are in the oven.

D

Deleted member 1258

We drove over to the cafe this morning, took my Good Lady with me, the group of ladies who come over by car were there but none of the group that cycle over, we got a call from my mate to say they had turned back just outside Coventry and he was now home and looking like a drowned rat.

Proto

Legendary Member
891C612E-3615-4AFA-90B5-326A50D645ED.jpeg
Walking the coastal path just north of Tintagel with Lexitron the lurcher.

Now heading for Polzeath which I’ve just found out is pronounced ‘Pol zeth’

Proto

Legendary Member
I agree, however this Doom Bar was very good and brewed in Cornwall.
Most of it, drunk in other parts of the country, is brewed in Burton on Trent.
It's a bit like having a Guiness in Dublin compared to anywhere else.

Funnily enough, when travelling from Waterford and Dublin with some Irish mates, up to Portstewart for the NW200, they used to tell me the Guinness was better up there.

More a case of how it’s looked after and how it is poured?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Funnily enough, when travelling from Waterford and Dublin with some Irish mates, up to Portstewart for the NW200, they used to tell me the Guinness was better up there.

More a case of how it’s looked after and how it is poured?
Some years ago we did the Guiness factory tour and were, of course, forced to have a pint.
No matter what they say it was FAR FAR nicer than what we get here. I know we had the atmosphere etc but it was so much smoother and more creamy.

Top Bottom