The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You can hear birds anytime. Napier Deltics, not so often.
Opposed pistons!

the_mikey

Legendary Member
On BBC iPlayer currently there is a programme called 'Bird's Eye View - Beside the Seaside' which is a helicopter view of parts of the UK narrated by John Betjeman( in the late 60's) which features a glimpse of some railway activity, notably a class 52 hauled train a DMU and others.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
If the Napier Deltic was anything like the Fairbanks-Morse locomotives in America, (also having opposed piston design) the repair record was much the same, about 1/3 of units out. Piston wear was a great problem for F-M in their opposed piston engines, and caused them to smoke quite a bit, as oil leaked past piston seals and was burned with fuel.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
And both had about the same down-time. Steam took 5 minutes to find a problem, and 5 days to fix it. Diesels took 5 days to find a problem, and 5 minutes to fix it. Or vice-versa, dependent on the problem. In all honesty, when some of the early diesels were new, they ran quite well, with low emissions, for their time. Then railroads started losing money or funds, and maintenance slid, and these latter day problems, witnessed by later observers, form some basis of that view. Case in point:-I'm in the states, and saw Alco RS-3s belonging to both Penn Central and Gulf-Mobile and Ohio. Penn-Centrals smoked it up quite a bit, GM&O's did not. All in the maintenance.

robjh

Legendary Member
I recently had a day at the Bluebell Railway, with an old friend of mine who now has links with the railway. It was a great day out - my first one at the Bluebell since I was at school - and culminated in a footplate ride from Horsted Keynes to Sheffield Park. I was particularly struck by the large range of really old locomotives and coaching stock, and the careful restoration of old wooden coaches that was going on.
20141228 Bluebell Rly (7) Sheffield Park.JPG
20141228 Bluebell Rly (18) Sheffield Park.JPG
20141228 Bluebell Rly (21) footplate ride.JPG

on the footplate of an ex-Southern Railway S15 class 4-6-0

20141228 Bluebell Rly (28) footplate ride.JPG

the view ahead - running tender-first

20141228 Bluebell Rly (29) Horsted Keynes.JPG

arrival at Sheffield Park

20141228 Bluebell Rly (38A) Horsted Keynes.jpg

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I paid a visit to the Middleton Railway as an excuse to get out on my bike. The railway was closed but I was allowed to explore the maintenance shed by one of the volunteers.

20150104_131121.jpg

20150104_130951.jpg

Kitson 5469 of 1933, essentially a Manning Wardle design.

20150104_130828.jpg

Far locomotive Brush 91 near locomotive Peckett 5003 of 1958

20150104_131847.jpg

Near locomotive, Greenwood and Batley coke oven locomotive. Unusable because of it's unusual dimensions but preserved as an example of a Leeds built locomotive.

20150104_132034.jpg

Hunslett, Picton of 1927 rescued from Trinidad but unlikely to be restored. :sad:

20150104_133300.jpg

Sentinel LNER Yi vertical boilered locomotive.

Nice!

Not been to Middleton Railway for a few years (August 2007, according to dates on pics)

Here's my contribution;

Matthew Murray
Railways. Middleton Railway. Manning-Wardle. 1601. Matthew Murray. 3.JPG

The climb up, under the M1 bridge

Railways. Middleton Railway. Moor Lane. Incline.JPG

'Duchess of Sutherland' restarting at Pontefract Baghill (the Hobbit station??), after watering
A nice tight curve. & a masterly display getting moving
Saturday 29th June 2013

Railways. BR. 46233. Ducherss of Sutherland. 16.JPG

'Tornado' at Burton Salmon, by site of the old station (taken from the 'Tadcaster Turn-Pike'/A162)
Saturday 7th July 2013
Railways. BR. 60163. 5.JPG

Top Bottom