The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Here you go train nobbers. These just arrived at the station while I was waiting for a real train. The announcer said, very dryly, for all you so called train enthusiasts, what you're waiting for is just arriving at platform 1.

View attachment 74071

View attachment 74072

They looked pretty good actually, smell nice too, loads of fancy coaches too!
Both of those are owned by the same person, Ian Riley, so no surprise they were seen together.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Stanier_Class_5_4-6-0#Preservation

Agreed, nice pic!!

I've got a few B&W prints somewhere, that I took on Leeds Station about 20-25 years ago, I'll have to try & find them/scan them

Here's a slow-shutter speed scanned image of a HST, leaving Wakefield WestGate (southbound), probably about 1985??

Railways. HST. Wakefield Westgate (1985).jpg

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Little grumble. Why do East Coast run their HSTs with the cycle spaces at the north end, but their electric Class 91s with the guards van at the south end? It would be a lot easier for me if they were all the same way round. :huh:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
The advantage of IC225s running with the 91 at the North end (and hence the DVT with guards van at the south end) is two-fold:
1) First class passengers (who are always at the south end so that they are nearer the exit/entrance at Kings Cross ) are furthest away from the noisy business end.
2) In summer the 91s are outside when arriving at Kings Cross, allowing them to cool down better than if they were inside. Electrics were known to get so hot they set off the fire extinguishers, although there has now been a mod to ensure that fans continue to run after the train has stopped.

Dunno about the IC125's, though.

I love that, great photo. HST's were something altogether different, like the Talgo a generation before.
Thankyou!
My Secondary School (High School, to you?) was at the top of a cutting on the Leeds-London line (a few miles north of Wakefield), & when I was there, was common to hear the Deltics as they started to pick up speed, if the signals were with them
A glorious noise!!!

Thankyou!
My Secondary School (High School, to you?) was at the top of a cutting on the Leeds-London line (a few miles north of Wakefield), & when I was there, was common to hear the Deltics as they started to pick up speed, if the signals were with them
A glorious noise!!!
Ahh yes Deltics, I spent many school holidays chasing them with an East Midlands Rover between Doncaster and Peterborough. Wonderful sounding machines.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O4IdRWnL1k

Top Bottom