The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
"Hush Hush"?

Being LNER, it visited Leeds?? I'm too tired for all of this silliness now!!

Anyway, tell me, what was the last loco to have a 'boiler explosion' (the crown sheet actually) on BR?

And where?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
1962 according to Wiki (although I thought it was '61). Not '63 anyway.

Duchess 46238 City Of Carlisle. It was in Bletchley yard, so at least it wasn't actually working a train at speed at the time (can you imagine!!??).

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Seemingly, although it hasn't happened in this county since, it has happened in the U.S. and France in recent years.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hmmmm, this isn't what I heard before, but never mind:

The third mishap to a Duchess occurred on 24 January 1962, and was
the last boiler accident on BR. 46238 was hauling a Holyhead to
Euston express when, approaching Bletchley, part of the roof of the
inner firebox tore away from the stays and released the contents of
the boiler. One water gauge glass was so dirty that it was impossible
to see the water level and the other one showed what the fireman
believed to be a full glass, the water level not being visible. In
fact it was an empty glass (this mistake could not have been made
with an LNER water gauge). The enginemen survived.

Dark46

Veteran
image.jpg
I'll raise your Coronation Class with a 2-10-0 9F Black Prince 92203, built in Swindon 1959

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
View attachment 46081 I'll raise your Coronation Class with a 2-10-0 9F Black Prince 92203, built in Swindon 1959
Pah! The wheels are sized for hauling iron ore, rather than passenger expresses. Certainly they were capable of high speeds, but I've heard that the small wheels meant that the sliding components took a thrashing, thereby putting an end to the fun being had by enginemen.

Nice engines though, and some would say the pinnacle of BR Standard Class design. Evening Star was the first 9F I ever saw. It was in steam on the North York Moors railway when I visited sometime around 1985.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I must admit that I have never seen 'City Of Birmingham'. I'll have to rectify that some time!
It's worth a look, but rather akin to a caged bird, as the museum isn't much wider than the engine length, so much so that I struggled to get a picture. Might have a rummage on my old DVDs and see if I can upload something from around year 2005. The rest of the museum also has a few nice non-railway exhibits.

Top Bottom