The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Class 50s were awful, unreliable things in comparison, and it's no wonder that BR got rid of them between 1987 - 94 on cost grounds after a total of about 26 years service!!

The Westerns at least were withdrawn early (after 15 years) because they were non standard as a pose to them being a burden. There is no doubt the Westerns along with the other Hydraulics, like the Hymeks, etc, could have continued for many years to come, heck, there might even have been some still in service now (the class 14s (see Mr Paul's picture above) carved out a very successful life in Industrial use after withdrawal for example)!

The '50s, along with the Deltics however just reached a point where they were just too expensive and inefficient to maintain (although that said, the Westerns, and certainly the Warships probably would have succumbed to something sooner or later too, its the curse of the glamourous to die young. There are so many different variables to factor in though.

I do, however reckon the Hymeks would have lasted for sure unless they had some sort if major problem I don't know about. They were mixed traffic and wouldn't have been worn out from excessive high speed running like the Warships and Westerns were).

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Santa Fe 3751 and GE C-408W #844 on the Santa Fe Employee Appreciation Special, September 10, 1992, westbound at Chillicothe, Illinois. As is often the case with these excursions, I believe we were waiting for the volunteer fire department to refill the tenders' water tank.
SF37519-10-92_zpsfda39937.jpg

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Did you work for Santa Fe then??
No, but railfans in the US had a bit of a telegraph among them as to when things were happening, now replaced by the internet. I had a large Yagi antenna made of archery arrow shafts and pvc pipe hooked up to a scanner so I could pick up train conversations and automatic transponders and such from a great distance. Ther were quite a few newsletters and such on the subject as well. I believe this locomotive was restored to running condition after being on display for some time. It was in the movies Boots Malone, Key to the City, and Pearl Harbor. I just worked for a terminal railroad once as a track worker. Many long years ago. (1970's)

Dark46

Veteran
The Westerns and Hymeks were withdrawn early as the other regions were using Desiel-Electrics and the the great locos were Desiel-Hydrolics! No other reason. They were powerfull and reliable .
1062 on Mainline would be fantastic.
When I used to work in Bristol I worked not far from Days Road, where they keep the weekend Specials locos in holding . Saw Bittern, Duke of Gloucester , king Edward I , Nunney Castle there to name a few

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 30

classic33

Leg End Member
The Westerns and Hymeks were withdrawn early as the other regions were using Desiel-Electrics and the the great locos were Desiel-Hydrolics! No other reason. They were powerfull and reliable .
When I used to work in Bristol I worked not far from Days Road, where they keep the weekend Specials locos in holding . Saw Bittern, Duke of Gloucester , king Edward I , Nunney Castle there to name a few
You cut the front off!

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

Yes they are deemed nonstandard in a Diesel Electric world as early as 1967, and were frittered away as a result. In short, it was all one big monumental waste and it might have been better if they had never existed in the first place!

Nowadays I imagine operators would snap them up and no mistake, but at the time, BR didn't want to sell enough of them so that a rival could potentially use them (quite who I don't know as this was a long time before privatisation!! The only exception were the class 14s, but they never ran in competition with BR anyway, working as they did for The Coal Board) a policy that BR kept up into the '80s, meaning that many things were just scrapped despite people offering to buy them (a few 1st generation DMUs went that way for example, and actually, D1015 Western Champion, the Western that is on the mainline now almost suffered the same fate - It was the very last Western to be scrapped in 1979, and it was only saved after the preservation group made a rather impassioned plea to the then Head of BR, Sir Peter Parker..... Outside his office..... As he left for the day..... And even then, D1015 had actually been started to be cut, so the orders to stop came just in time!!). As a result, almost all of the early preserved examples we now have had been given officially by BR to preservation groups, regardless of what people really wanted to preserve (there was even the story of the class 22 that had been bought for preservation in 1970 but was 'accidentally' scrapped, so BR gave a Warship <Greyhound I think>) as compensation!!).

Anyway, yes, they had a criminally short career, but be fair though, both the Warships and Westerns needed a major overhaul as all that high speed running had taken its toll on them, (they were just a bit trashed), so at least they went out after having fulfilled one service cycle as it were, it would have been different if they had still been in reasonably good condition like the <Cough cough!!> The class 14s...... Or probably the Hymeks.

Sounds brilliant!!

By the way @classic33, you need to give the Bittern people some slack - They were fixing the nose back on in readiness for a mainline run!! :laugh:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Santa Fe 3751 and GE C-408W #844 on the Santa Fe Employee Appreciation Special, September 10, 1992, westbound at Chillicothe, Illinois. As is often the case with these excursions, I believe we were waiting for the volunteer fire department to refill the tenders' water tank.
SF37519-10-92_zpsfda39937.jpg
Is that the diesel back up coupled behind?

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
A great many almost-new steam locos were also scrapped after just a few years use!

Indeed, but to withdraw en masse one lot (steam), replace them all at great expense with another lot (the Diesel Hydraulics and various other types, some of which weren't even properly researched and tested, leading to unreliability and a short life too), only to then scrap them all early too was just downright insanity!!

You are right, and BR must have lost an eye watering amount of money with it all, and had they done it properly instead of just rushing to build as many different types as possible, all, or most of what happened could have been avoided!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom