The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The Amtrak F40 ph locomotive in the previous post was one of the first ones they ordered new, having used all hand me down equipment from when the passenger service was nationalized (with the exception of the Rio Grande and Rock Island, who continued to operate passenger service until 1981). Almost ubiquitous for many a year.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Interesting, I think I've read of them before when they painted some into the old liveries for Amtrak's 40th or similar. I think.

Anyway, yes, I need to get to bed here, but what of the loco type names? Where do those come from??

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Model types of General Motors were usually F for freight and E for passenger The E unit above has a steam generator to heat the railroad cars, still common until the 1990's as Amtrak still used passenger cars from pre 1971 until about then. The 2 major makers of diesels were GM Electro Motive and Alco. Alco called their units FA and FB (cabless booster) for freight, and PA and PB for passenger. What is called a B unit has no cab, and is controlled by the lead unit with a cab. The GM second generation of freight diesels were GP( 4 wheel trucks) and SD( 6 wheel trucks) General Electric came into the fray as Alco and a lot of smaller makers were leaving the industry, and GM and GE now battle for supremacy. Most locomotive cabs are now wide cabs here, as we no longer have cabooses since the 1980s, and there are only 2 man crews instead of the 4 man crews of yore.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yeah, now you see, that's why I can't get my head round the names.

A 'DD40AOX?'
Just call it a class 54 or something!! :giggle:
Or 6936!

colly

Re member eR
Last weekend I rode under the Harringworth Viaduct
harringworth viaduct.jpg

harringworth viaduct 2.jpg

not once, but twice, oh yes.

Top Bottom