The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I think not, because Springfields' Power Plant operates by coal. Also, Springfield, Illinois has no monorail.

Right enough, you have a point there! :giggle:

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
If I am any indication, I eat about one per year

...... Oh right, yes I get you now, sorry I was looking for pictures of you!

Well, I come from the home of the deep fried Mars Bar, so there will be plenty of my fellow countrymen who could keep you company!

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
And pictures as well. One of the great photographers of the mid 20th Century. His ability to light whole trains bordered on the surreal.

Yes I have a book of them (Steel and Stars..... I think) and I know about how he arranged and managed to get the pictures he did!

Certainly surreal and downright unnatural in some cases, yes, but it doesn't matter because they show an old America that's now gone!

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I don't know why, but I have never really been into American trains (actually I do, I have never been Stateside, and the diesels mostly all looked the same to me for quite a long time) although I can see the appeal of them (freight trains the size of small countries, etc etc) and with things like the Norfolk And Western and other old Railroads with their steam locos, I can appreciate the old designs!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
By the 1930's, many passenger railroads were trying to modernize their look by shrouding steam locomotives. The results were not nearly as fine as those in Britain. Notable exceptions being the Norfolk and Western 611, the Alton Belle, and the New York Central streamlined Hudsons that pulled the 20th Century Limited.

Top Bottom