The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm a bit constrained by not being able to cycle south.
Where there's a will, there's a way! :okay:

water bike.jpg

100km is going to take an awfully long time on that though (I'm just guessing of course). I can't see anything above force 3 winds being entirely pleasant either.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Still going strong ... that's 14 months in a row now. My work colleagues think I'm a nutter. 67 miles yesterday, doing the "Flapjack" audax from Chippenham. I can thoroughly recommend it, by the way. A beautiful circuit through North Wiltshire and the southern Cotswolds. Castle Combe, and a steep little hill soon after that were the highlights, but lovely quiet lanes everywhere.

Just a shame my front shifter was playing up ... it turned it into one big game of Shimano Roulette, with the damn thing either steadfastly refusing to drop into the little ring when I most needed it, or else dropping two rings in one go and forcing me to spin like mad and change back up one ring straight away. I fiddled with the barrel adjuster and temporarily lost the use of the big ring at one point. By the end I had no idea what gear I was going to end up in next time I shifted. I may have taught some of the classier people doing this ride a few new swear words by the time I crossed the finishing line. Still loved it though.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I fiddled with the barrel adjuster and temporarily lost the use of the big ring at one point. By the end I had no idea what gear I was going to end up in next time I shifted.
Nice to see that someone else uses the "random twiddle" method of gear adjustment. I may make a video about it one day. It really works. Sometimes. After a while.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
February done. A 100 miler from SE London up to Marton in Warwickshire in the company of @Eddie_C along a route that I've done quite a few times. Slight overkill for the 100k challenge, but they all count.

I had a bad slump after about 100k, as the wind and the uppy-downy-ness of the terrain (which is actually quite gentle if you're feeling good) got to me. Maybe the lack of pork pies in my sandwiches. Still, I recovered later on.

Next month is a challenge due to diary fullness. I may have to double up one ride as both my imperial and metric centuries :sad:

Ajax Bay

Guru
First ride posted. Feel free to follow me on Strava as well, could do with the encouragement as I've only been cycling since October. But I have managed a 100km every month since November so this challenge will help motivate me.

@Zeffer I expect I speak for all here to wish you as speedy a recovery as is sensible from your 'black ice' fall breaking your hip only 10 miles into your 100km February ride. Must be great to be home from hospital. Stay away from magnets. Posting this in this thread as you are part of this smaller community, a small but perfectly formed subset within CC at large. It's freezing outside down here, but I'm going out first thing and will be thinking of you/black ice - if you know what I mean, at least till it warms up.

Good luck with the rehab and do what the physios ask you to do.

Zeffer

Über Member
Thank you, I am really touched by your kind words.

Maybe in the future I'll manage the challenge. I had the legs for it I'm sure!

Please be careful in the ice. I was amazed how worried I was yesterday with the crutches on a cold pavement. I need to get over this but maintain a respect. I was down before I knew I was falling. So sudden.

And to everyone on the challenge, I'll keep liking you posts! You can do it!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A friend of mine had an icy spill yesterday too.

Heal well @Zeffer and we look forward to welcoming you back to the MCaM challenge.

ChrisEyles

Guru
What with the mud, rain, ice etc I'm lucky to have been able to sneak a qualifying ride in just in time for February today!

Some of the lanes I'd definitely have been happier navigating on my MTB, pot hole dodging was the order of the day and I had a little "moment" when the back end slid out a little on some gravel (still re-gaining my confidence after an off on the ice a few weeks ago, I've been feeling like my back wheel is slipping on an adverse camber all the blinking time ever since - speaking of which, best of luck with the recovery @Zeffer!).

Must say I'm struggling more with this little challenge than I thought I would. 60+ miles is definitely harder in the cold and mud than on lovely Summer roads! Especially the bit where you have to get out of bed and out the door on the bike.....

Hopefully the weather and roads will improve enough to get the nice bike out for the next one :smile:

ChrisEyles

Guru
I'm going to try 1km on crutches challenge in March!

That's the spirit - good on you!

If you're able to over the Summer months (hip allowing!), canoeing/kayaking is also an excellent way to get out in the countryside and get some cardio exercise if you're missing the bike.

fatjel

Veteran
My aim of doing the imperial century challenge came to a bone crunching end on the Romney marsh two weeks ago.
So gonna try the 100k again with my newly purchased recumbent trike

fatjel

Veteran
Wasn't the best day.. Broken collarbone..
Trike is hard work managed 92 km today My legs may never forgive me.
Only had it 3 days tho so will get the hang of it I'm sure

Top Bottom