The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Colin, remember you can join the MCaM any time you like. Only Jan-Dec gets these newfangled stars, but I wouldn't like the thought of you taking things easy for the rest of the year.

You can check in any time you like ...

Sorry to hear that, Colin.Good call though, in today's weather. In fact, good call in the whole of January's weather :-\

This morning I saw trees swayed by 45 mph winds, and I watched sun turn to rain, turn to sleet, turn to hail, turn to snow, and a heavy mist descend over the hilltops. The thermometer reading dropped, as did my motivation ... I decided to live and fight another day and for that reason - I'm out!

I will try to ride an extra metric century in February to partially make up for the missing century but I can't now complete the challenge this year. I will carry on reporting my metric century rides though, with a notice admitting my January failure! :blush:

Try not to be too downhearted about it, Colin. I've come to the conclusion that getting a regular long ride (i.e. 40 + miles) in between the end of November and end of February is virtually impossible due to the weather (well up north anyway). If it's freakishly mild like this winter it's relentless rain. If it's cold it's too dodgy due to ice and snow. I'll ride in almost anything (apart from snow and ice) for the 20 mile round trip to work but have a totally different attitude to long leisure rides. If the weather is poor it is simply too unpleasant. I love living up north with the Pennine hills and great scenery and wouldn't move back south for anything but the weather contrast is amazing. Today, for example, when it has been grey and pouring down all day my youngest son texted me some photos of himself enjoying a totally dry morning with his partner and son in some woods near St Albans.

Definitely requires an indoor cycling plan methinks.

That was one of my more - in fact easily the most - eventful metric century outings. Lovely day, no ice remaining after midday, sunshine and only mid-teens wind speed, albeit it was about 3-4C all day. Despite all that good stuff, I arrived home smeared with blood and pretty much covered in manure slurry, which really wasn't part of the plan or desire :-\

Blood acquisition: there's a flood-damaged bridge I had to cross which currently has a temporary, metal bridge on top of it, pending repair. It has a steep (20% or so) ramp, a flat bit and then a down ramp. It's composed of jagged slats about 100mm wide and about a wheel-width apart and the only thing which could readily add to the hazard would be embedded, vertical spears poking through. It does have a 'Cyclists dismount' warning but this had blown over. I chose to walk over it - the chap I'd just passed didn't. I've actually never seen facial injuries that bad before and am still moderately shaken up by the experience. Helping the injured man and picking up his bike resulted in the 'covered in blood' aspect of my return home. (It was serious, he was taken to A&E.) The farmer nearby said that this was the fourth fall in three weeks and the second today. So, in the unlikely event that anyone reading this is cycling along the A683 from Sedbergh to Kirkby Lonsdale don't even think about cycling over this temporary bridge. (I nearly did - it's not obvious how hazardous it is until quite close as it looks like solid metal).

Slurry acquisition: 'fortunately' for my state of being rather bloody, I passed a tractor jetting manure slurry (basically fermented, liquid manure) into a field. The wind picked up as I passed and I essentially cycled through a localised, 30 metres or so long, shower of slurry, which nicely hid the blood stains. Genuinely fortunately, I had my scarf fully covering my face and it was only another hour to home at that point. (And clearly, this was a mere nothing compared to the injured man; it was almost funny in comparison.)

Cleaning up post-ride took considerably longer than usual this afternoon!

That's far more 'interest' than I think is good for a 100km.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That was one of my more - in fact easily the most - eventful metric century outings. Lovely day, no ice remaining after midday, sunshine and only mid-teens wind speed, albeit it was about 3-4C all day. Despite all that good stuff, I arrived home smeared with blood and pretty much covered in manure slurry, which really wasn't part of the plan or desire :-\

Blood acquisition: there's a flood-damaged bridge I had to cross which currently has a temporary, metal bridge on top of it, pending repair. It has a steep (20% or so) ramp, a flat bit and then a down ramp. It's composed of jagged slats about 100mm wide and about a wheel-width apart and the only thing which could readily add to the hazard would be embedded, vertical spears poking through. It does have a 'Cyclists dismount' warning but this had blown over. I chose to walk over it - the chap I'd just passed didn't. I've actually never seen facial injuries that bad before and am still moderately shaken up by the experience. Helping the injured man and picking up his bike resulted in the 'covered in blood' aspect of my return home. (It was serious, he was taken to A&E.) The farmer nearby said that this was the fourth fall in three weeks and the second today. So, in the unlikely event that anyone reading this is cycling along the A683 from Sedbergh to Kirkby Lonsdale don't even think about cycling over this temporary bridge. (I nearly did - it's not obvious how hazardous it is until quite close as it looks like solid metal).

Slurry acquisition: 'fortunately' for my state of being rather bloody, I passed a tractor jetting manure slurry (basically fermented, liquid manure) into a field. The wind picked up as I passed and I essentially cycled through a localised, 30 metres or so long, shower of slurry, which nicely hid the blood stains. Genuinely fortunately, I had my scarf fully covering my face and it was only another hour to home at that point. (And clearly, this was a mere nothing compared to the injured man; it was almost funny in comparison.)

Cleaning up post-ride took considerably longer than usual this afternoon!

That's far more 'interest' than I think is good for a 100km.
Yikes - nasty!

I was on the scene when a cyclist face-planted on the road near Pateley Bridge last summer. Yes - it is a traumatic thing to witness, isn't it!

Sounds like they need to put up more permanent signs at that bridge before somebody ends up dead.

I have had the slurry treatment in the past - that isn't nice either! :laugh:

I refrained from describing the injuries, but they were those associated with a front wheel locking solid in the metal and the metal having multiple, narrow ridges. In other words, tarmac would be a fluffy pillow in comparison. I won't be riding over anything like that, that's for sure. I described the injuries to my partner; she's a doctor and she was .... appalled really.

Yep - re the signs - they need to be very prominent, and very fixed. They should say things like 'Seriously, don't ignore this one'!

Slurry: nope it most certainly didn't improve my day. I had to pull my scarf down for the final hour, it being pretty much soaked in liquid manure :-( Took a surprising amount of time to get it off and out of my cycling helmet too (I had an impervious skull cap thingy underneath - phew).

On the upside, that's the February 100km done, and with the current weather patterns I'm pretty pleased about that. Did you get your ride done today, Colin?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On the upside, that's the February 100km done, and with the current weather patterns I'm pretty pleased about that. Did you get your ride done today, Colin?
I did manage to get out today but wasn't feeling very energetic so I settled for a 51 km ride rather than the metric century that I'd hoped to do. TBH, the lack of riding since Christmas has taken its toll so the ride felt more like 75 km!

I have a long ride** planned for Feb 20th so I had better try and get a few decent rides in before then.

** 125-160 km, depending on how I get to and from audax event HQ. I hope to ride there and back, but if the weather is not great I might treat myself to the train to/from Rochdale.

Ho ho ;-) I'm a bit constrained by the notably poor combination of sizable hills, nothing flat, and near-permanent gales so far this year.

Today was moderately sunny and calm though, which was good. Unfortunately that meant about 500m of sheet ice at a gradient of 14-19% on the highest bit of my ride ..... I walked along the fell side, oddly enough.

Edit: but at least I didn't return covered in manure slurry and blood today, so that was a massive improvement on last week :-)

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm a bit constrained by the notably poor combination of sizable hills, nothing flat,

I'm a bit constrained by not being able to cycle south. Fortunately there are lots of lovely hills in East Devon and out towards Dartmoor to keep the climbing ratio(n) up. I'm including the climb in my posted distance detail.
Was below freezing overnight for the third time this year, as measured by ice on the car windscreen. Lack of frost is causing havoc with the Camelias which don't realise they should be flowering - need a hard frost over a few days for the flowering trigger to operate.

Last club run was 93km (CS Dynamo) and I wasn't switched on enough to realise (and do an extra 10-15km).

Those are pretty significant climbing numbers for the area, based on my recollection of how hilly it is around there. The flattest 100km loop I've ever managed here was still considerably more than 1,000m. ascent. South for you would certainly be fairly damp, fairly quickly.

Top Bottom