The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
Got August's ride done yesterday, Saturday 3rd.

For several years now there has been an annual ride from Cambridge to Hunstanton and back organised by at first one of the Cambridge clubs and now by two clubs combined. I last did it in 2019, but joined it again for this year's edition, and can report that it unfolds pretty much the same as ever, albeit with a few minor route variations this time.
I left home at 6.15 am, and the group ride set off from town at 7. We flew northwards with a tailwind, had a café break in Swaffham, and got to Hunstanton just after midday. There was a lot of rain passing while we were in Norfolk, and Hunstanton today was anything but 'sunny Hunny', but the showers were never too long nor cold.
12 of us set out in the morning. Back at King's Lynn at around 100 miles several people opted for the train home, but a few of us rode back, in the now brighter weather. Released from the big group, we now split up by speed, and I brought up the rear with another guy riding at our own steady but not racing speed.
I had a great day despite the weather, and got home at 8pm, after 14 hours on the road, and feeling surprisingly un-tired.

Distance 171.1 miles / 275.4 km. My 149th century ever, and the 68th consecutive month of doing one.
Also, this ride saw my Eddington number go up from 106 to 107.

IMG-20240803-WA0034.jpg

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Got my August one done today, wind assisted ride up to Market Rasen and then the train back. I had planned to get there about 14:15ish to give me an hour spare just in case I had any issues before the train was due. Got there at 12:30, did I mention I had the wind on my back all the way?If not then I was just really fast :laugh:

Ended up on the 13:15 train so got off at Sileby and did another 12 miles, to bag a future Eddington (5 now needed for 111)

footloose crow

Über Member
August century - finally and just in time

I was beginning to think I might have to drop out of this challenge. Either the weather wasn't right or there was something I had to do (according to my wife) and the days were slipping away. Decided to go out today despite a forecast of rain and fresh winds. Sometimes, especially in the last twenty kilometres with wet feet, mud all over me and the constant wet tyre swish and drench of passing cars, I did wonder whether cycling this far on your own is any fun at all.

Now I have a glass of Portuguese red in front of me and a promise of a steak and chips dinner, I am feeling a lot more positive. Trying to avoid main roads today as holiday traffic is still dense. So that meant two things: firstly a lot more steep, gritty, tree overhung lanes which all seemed to peak at 20% and secondly a lot of lane wide tractors going very fast. The last tractor trailer combination forced me to 'divert' onto a handy verge which unfortunately concealed a large rock. The wheel is making funny noises now - a job for tomorrow.

Across Bodmin Moor I saw one car and one cyclist. I love that emptiness, especially in a Cornish summer. Although this summer has been in name only and we seem to have moved from spring to autumn without passing summer. Lots of wind, lots of drizzle, lots of humidity but it hasn't been either warm or cool for any length of time. Just oscillated between them in a random pattern. It has certainly caused issues for bee and butterfly numbers.

tempImagevsugmb.png

Empty lanes....

tempImageLJHaKe.png

Rough Tor on Bodmin Moor before the rain started.

tempImageCtdvn3.png

Of course I went through the ford - I was going to have wet feet anyway once the rain set in.

robjh

Legendary Member
August century - finally and just in time

I was beginning to think I might have to drop out of this challenge. Either the weather wasn't right or there was something I had to do (according to my wife) and the days were slipping away. Decided to go out today despite a forecast of rain and fresh winds. Sometimes, especially in the last twenty kilometres with wet feet, mud all over me and the constant wet tyre swish and drench of passing cars, I did wonder whether cycling this far on your own is any fun at all.

Now I have a glass of Portuguese red in front of me and a promise of a steak and chips dinner, I am feeling a lot more positive. Trying to avoid main roads today as holiday traffic is still dense. So that meant two things: firstly a lot more steep, gritty, tree overhung lanes which all seemed to peak at 20% and secondly a lot of lane wide tractors going very fast. The last tractor trailer combination forced me to 'divert' onto a handy verge which unfortunately concealed a large rock. The wheel is making funny noises now - a job for tomorrow.

Across Bodmin Moor I saw one car and one cyclist. I love that emptiness, especially in a Cornish summer. Although this summer has been in name only and we seem to have moved from spring to autumn without passing summer. Lots of wind, lots of drizzle, lots of humidity but it hasn't been either warm or cool for any length of time. Just oscillated between them in a random pattern. It has certainly caused issues for bee and butterfly numbers.

View attachment 742987
Empty lanes....

View attachment 742986
Rough Tor on Bodmin Moor before the rain started.

View attachment 742990
Of course I went through the ford - I was going to have wet feet anyway once the rain set in.

Well done for getting out there and doing it, and defying the elements!
The scenery in Cornwall always looks fantastic, although we all know about the hills. I guess though that after a while the choice of routes must seem a bit repetitive, as it is such a long, thin place with sea on three sides.

footloose crow

Über Member
Well done for getting out there and doing it, and defying the elements!
The scenery in Cornwall always looks fantastic, although we all know about the hills. I guess though that after a while the choice of routes must seem a bit repetitive, as it is such a long, thin place with sea on three sides.

You are very perceptive about the choice of routes - west to Lands End, east to the Devon border. A strip between 20 and 40 miles wide.

13 rider

Guru
Well done @footloose crow

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
September done today, 113 miles, so I've bagged a future Eddington. (four more for 111)

My Roubaix is poorly, bottom bracket is making an awful noise, so went out on the Diverge, I'm never defending Marathon Plus tyres again, the last 40 miles was a right slog, though I did set some PBs on Strava during those miles :laugh:

robjh

Legendary Member
September done this weekend, on a ride starting at 10pm on Friday night (Friday the 13th but not that unlucky as it turned out) and finishing at 5pm on Saturday 14th.
The main event was the 'Rutland Midnight Express' 300km audax starting from Baldock. I left home at 10pm and rode the 21 miles to the start at Baldock, and after only a small gap while cards were handed out I was off again at 11.40pm. The first control/coffee stop was at a 24-hour garage at St Ives, and the next at similar on the edge of Oakham. It was a cold night but luckily I had full winter gear with me, and needed it. With no clouds we were treated to wonderful stars, then a clear red dawn after Oakham.
The turnaround point, with breakfast, was at Bottesford (near Grantham), then we were back again across the lumpy landscape around Belvoir and thence to Rutland Water, and back to Oundle, where I arrived at midday. Up till then I'd been seeing a lot of other riders but I must have stopped too long here for some lunch, and saw fewer people after that. I also started feeling the lack of sleep at this point and slowed down, but later got second wind that saw me through to the end with 3 hours to spare before the cutoff. If I'm honest I could have done without that last 50 miles, but it was a lovely afternoon for riding.
I stopped for a chat and quick pint at the end, but opted for a train for my journey home.

Total distance 214 miles / 344.4km; audax part was 192.3 miles/309.5 km.
My 151st century ever, and the 69th consecutive month of doing one.

Living the high life at 1.30 am. Anyone who's done night riding will know the look.
IMG_20240914_014643.jpg

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
September done this weekend, on a ride starting at 10pm on Friday night (Friday the 13th but not that unlucky as it turned out) and finishing at 5pm on Saturday 14th.
The main event was the 'Rutland Midnight Express' 300km audax starting from Baldock. I left home at 10pm and rode the 21 miles to the start at Baldock, and after only a small gap while cards were handed out I was off again at 11.40pm. The first control/coffee stop was at a 24-hour garage at St Ives, and the next at similar on the edge of Oakham. It was a cold night but luckily I had full winter gear with me, and needed it. With no clouds we were treated to wonderful stars, then a clear red dawn after Oakham.
The turnaround point, with breakfast, was at Bottesford (near Grantham), then we were back again across the lumpy landscape around Belvoir and thence to Rutland Water, and back to Oundle, where I arrived at midday. Up till then I'd been seeing a lot of other riders but I must have stopped too long here for some lunch, and saw fewer people after that. I also started feeling the lack of sleep at this point and slowed down, but later got second wind that saw me through to the end with 3 hours to spare before the cutoff. If I'm honest I could have done without that last 50 miles, but it was a lovely afternoon for riding.
I stopped for a chat and quick pint at the end, but opted for a train for my journey home.

Total distance 214 miles / 344.4km; audax part was 192.3 miles/309.5 km.
My 151st century ever, and the 69th consecutive month of doing one.

Living the high life at 1.30 am. Anyone who's done night riding will know the look.
View attachment 745650

Yup, had that look many times :smile: Nice one Rob.

Top Bottom