The Fridays London Ride - Windows and Death - 29th December

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I'm a maybe for this one Simon.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
A PA system is your friend.....
I have the offer of a megaphone, but I'm a wee bit reluctant - many Londoners will be relishing the peace and quiet. A milk crate on the back of the Brommie might be more help
Slide1-7.jpg

Slide2-7.jpg

Slide3-6.jpg

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
2186762 said:
I've got a Grolsh crate somewhere. That would be more appropriate.
sounds good! I think the road bike might not be appropriate. I intend to carry my copy of Steen Eiler Rasmussen with me, and quote from it at full volume when we reach the excrescence, the MK Dons of architecture that has the gall to call itself the Adelphi.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
So it looks as though we'll be passing the heavy-handed fake Queen Anne Lutyens facade behind which I pretend to work, but that we will not pause to admire it. I am not offended.

subaqua

What’s the point
as we turn in to Tooley Street if everybody looks left they will see where I work, and I can point out the position of the original London bridge, which was replaced by Mcintoshes in 1823ish. If there were not 70 odd of us i would try and get us onto site to look at the 1820 granite piers that support the bridge constructed between 1967-1970.

John Bonnington partnership designed the building .

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
So it looks as though we'll be passing the heavy-handed fake Queen Anne Lutyens facade behind which I pretend to work, but that we will not pause to admire it. I am not offended.
ah - let's get our definitions right. There's Queen Anne (and we go to Queen Anne's Gate) and Queen Anne 2 (the revival, which we will see at the Norman Shaw Building). Now......I think Lutyen's building is, strictly speaking, neither. The geometry is too centralised to be proper QA, and the articulation and absence of quirky offsets means it's not really QA2. Personally I stick QA2 in to the English Free Style category along with Romano-Romanesque........

Lutyens was a stylist, a bit of a flibbertygibbet. We'll pass his Page Street estate which is like nothing else on earth. For my money he was best where he had the space for a bit of whimsy - the doorway at Campion Hall, or the house in Sonning now owned by Jimmy Page. 65 Lincoln's Inn is just a bit big for him.

U

User10571

ah - let's get our definitions right. There's Queen Anne (and we go to Queen Anne's Gate) and Queen Anne 2 (the revival, which we will see at the Norman Shaw Building). Now......I think Lutyen's building is, strictly speaking, neither. The geometry is too centralised to be proper QA, and the articulation and absence of quirky offsets means it's not really QA2. Personally I stick QA2 in to the English Free Style category along with Romano-Romanesque........

Lutyens was a stylist, a bit of a flibbertygibbet. We'll pass his Page Street estate which is like nothing else on earth. For my money he was best where he had the space for a bit of whimsy - the doorway at Campion Hall, or the house in Sonning now owned by Jimmy Page. 65 Lincoln's Inn is just a bit big for him.

This is just a warm up.
Isn't it?
By the 29th the architectural bon mots will be issuing forth like a runaway train.
Those of a fragile disposition should be warned.

Come to think of it, what you could really do with is an elevated lectern (in classic style, of course).
Or a small balcony.

On wheels.

The only trouble with balconies is that they have a bit of an image issue.
With dictators and their like.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Lutyens was a stylist, a bit of a flibbertygibbet.
A will'o the wisp? A clown?

I haven't the foggiest who designed my workplace (which I think you will also go past) - it's vacuous from the outside but rather nice to work in. It's above Boots on the corner of Gracechurch and Fenchurch.

Top Bottom