The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've never said helmets are bad. What I've continually said is that there is no evidence to suggest that current cycling helmets are any use whatsoever. If there was evidence to support the idea that a cycling helmet would considerably reduce my chance of injuring myself in the kind of accident I have I'd consider wearing one.

I'd only get as far as considering it though as experience has taught me that the risk of me suffering a head impact whilst cycling is low (once in 25 years) but then that becomes my personal risk assessment rather than a lack of evidence.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I've never said helmets are bad. What I've continually said is that there is no evidence to suggest that current cycling helmets are any use whatsoever. If there was evidence to support the idea that a cycling helmet would considerably reduce my chance of injuring myself in the kind of accident I have I'd consider wearing one.

I'd only get as far as considering it though as experience has taught me that the risk of me suffering a head impact whilst cycling is low (once in 25 years) but then that becomes my personal risk assessment rather than a lack of evidence.
Are you kidding, not sure who said it but someone was saying they cause more injuries than they save/help? Is that true?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Are you kidding, not sure who said it but someone was saying they cause more injuries than they save/help? Is that true?
Look back and you'll find I've never claimed that.

I just find the complete lack of evidence but the willingness of people to not only follow purely anecdotal information but to then preach at those who don't very depressing

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... I have been told that horse riding helmets are designed to withstand both falling onto a rock and a hoof treading on them, which makes them sound considerably tougher than a cycle crash helmet if that's true.

A horse's back is also a lot higher than a bike seat. If i fell of a standing horse sideways i'd probably be upside down by the time i'd hit the ground... so i'd say horse riding, like downhill MTB is an activity that I'd wear a helmet for (not that i have interest in either)

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
It maybe that they have more benefit in some scenarios than others, and so a judgement could be taken - but even for "more risky" cycling we'd not know if they caused more harm than good in that type of cycling (neck injuries, rotation, bigger head = bigger target etc).

This was the bit I was thinking of.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 3940259, member: 45"]I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Those who think it makes sense to wear a helmet think they make sense and it's you who is being ridiculous. They'll continue to think you're being ridiculous unless someone engages properly, and you've already lost some of them. Far better, in my view, to explain things properly. And in my experience they struggle enough with that.[/QUOTE]
I'm bored of explaining, TBH. It's beyond tedious. If people berate me about this stuff these days, I prefer to give it short shrift. So when people ask me why I haven't got a helmet and hi-viz, I say stuff like 'Don't believe in all that cobblers. What shade of radioactive custard is your car?' or somesuch. The onus is not on me to explain their bizarre preoccupations.

U

User32269

I find myself in agreement with Tory minister...gonna have to go out and petrol bomb a bank now just to redress the balance in the universe.
Good to hear sense from politician who cycles though.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I'm bored of explaining, TBH. It's beyond tedious. If people berate me about this stuff these days, I prefer to give it short shrift. So when people ask me why I haven't got a helmet and hi-viz, I say stuff like 'Don't believe in all that cobblers. What shade of radioactive custard is your car?' or somesuch. The onus is not on me to explain their bizarre preoccupations.
Ok so where are we going with all this? Is it ever going to become mandatory (not saying that it should) or are we all going to be persuaded with scientific evidence that wearing one is a waste of time or are we just going to carry on in the "I wear one", "I don't" camp? And are we going to carry on with these infantile comparisons with everyday life for ever?

Top Bottom