The Campervan Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
@Drago Very nice! 😎What does the Road Fund & insurance work out at? 🤔

Car tax is zero - it'll wear Mrs D's disability exemption.

Been on the comparison sites and prices at around £360 full comp for insurance.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You aren't going to get the issue of older T6's that get 'dressed up' and sold for a premium, with it being low mileage and quite new.

The diesel heater is a great addition in colder months. We've a friend that uses their T6 as a daily driver (full camper conversion like yours). We've a couple of other friends (all from the Mrs swimming groups) who have T6's in various 'conversion states'. One looks fancy with big off road wheels, roof rack etc, but inside it's just two air beds and nothing else.

It's not a "proper" awning as such,it's a base tent from Decathlon,seems to do the job ok though.We have had it on the side and back,attached with either bungee straps or some magnets.Seen quite a few Berlingo/Peugeot campers with these attached.
Nice on the back with the tailgate open in good weather 😁

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/6-man-camping-living-area-arpenaz-base-m/_/R-p-157674

Cheers. That still looks pretty good to be fair, I need separate sleeping compartments but I'd imagine I'd put 1 person in the van and one person in the awning. :okay:

fossyant

This is what I want, and it has approval of the colour from MrsF
Seats all removeable, or can drop them down and I plan a fold out base at the back, that you can then drop a mattress on. I'm thinking I may do a 1/3 - 2/3 split on the fold out bed do-dah so it can be a single, and store a bike inside. Main use will be a day van, so MrsF can get changed in comfort from wild swimming, or under the huge tailgate. Ideally the VIP model, which has 6 seats rather than 8. Otherwise it's the same spec as the Allure model. They have loads of tech, plus a webasto diesel heater as well, so great for keeping the van warm when parked up.

It will also gobble all our camping gear, SUP and two bikes.

Screenshot 2024-08-17 162653.png

Last edited:

fossyant

Cheers. That still looks pretty good to be fair, I need separate sleeping compartments but I'd imagine I'd put 1 person in the van and one person in the awning. :okay:

Those bases seem very popular from what I've seen on various campsites - great for putting your stuff in whilst you leave the campsite in the van.

Jameshow

Veteran
We took the plunge when the boat had to go. That was just at the end of COVID. Nowhere near as much fun as sailing was. But better than being stuck at home
This is our transport of delight.

Bikes go on the back, two of us can travel in comfort and independence. We can pootle into town or do the odd day trip
Stay on sites or find quiet parking spots.

View attachment 741517

What boat?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
You aren't going to get the issue of older T6's that get 'dressed up' and sold for a premium, with it being low mileage and quite new.

The diesel heater is a great addition in colder months. We've a friend that uses their T6 as a daily driver (full camper conversion like yours). We've a couple of other friends (all from the Mrs swimming groups) who have T6's in various 'conversion states'. One looks fancy with big off road wheels, roof rack etc, but inside it's just two air beds and nothing else.

Aye lad, thie one was converted brand new by the same dealer. They sold two to the same bloke and for some reason this one didn't see much use (probably because he has two?) so the guy sold it back.

The dealer is Redline who do all their conversions in house using only fairly decent quality kit. I did some research on the firm before looking and it can trace its ancestry right back to Fairmile so they have a bit of experience of making things.

Those bases seem very popular from what I've seen on various campsites - great for putting your stuff in whilst you leave the campsite in the van.

I'm thinking I have 1 person sleep in the van, and 1 in the base. Obviously I'll be in the base so my snoring doesn't disturb the person in the van lol.

Gunk

Guru
We owned one of these in the early 1990’s (when you could pick them up for about £1500) and had some great times and adventures. Every trip was nail biting with reliability but it seemed to keep going as long as you didn’t go over 55mph.

Ours was identical to the one in the photo. Nicknamed Celia because the reg number started “CEL”

IMG_1450.jpeg

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
My 1998 Volkswagen T4 California. It's currently got over 410,000 kilometres on the clock and still going great. In just over nine years of ownership, it's transported me and the wife, two kids and a dog all over Europe for some amazing trips.

IMG_20231002_170549033.jpg

It has a pop top roof, sleeping space for four, (though the kids sleep in the driveaway awning) fridge, cooker, diesel night heater and loads of storage.

20150328_164336 (1).jpg

Top Bottom