The 2024 Half Century (50km or 50 mile) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
The following post may contain inaccuracies, as I'm away from my high tech paper tick list
June update and last weekend warning . We have 22 riders fully posted up leaving 6 riders with rides up to May posted yet to declare so a gentle nudge for @Spinney ,@Eribiste ,@slow scot ,@steveindenmark ,@Sbudge and @Gibbo9 . With 1 rider who unfortunately is probably a dropout (wanted to say faller but seemed inappropriate) in @biggs682 for is recovering from a none bike related fall.
Well done everyone who's made it to halfway

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
@13 rider I am now slingless but a couple/three weeks from getting back on the bike at the earliest so I am out for sure 😞

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Rode the 56 km Tintern Express Audax today which included 1000 metres of climbing.

Ride started at Aust services next to the Severn Bridge which we crossed to enter into Wales and the hilly roads of the Forest of Dean.

The stand out climb of the day had to be from the River Wye at Brockweir up to St. Bravials via Sandy Lane.

Screenshot_20240629-202552~2.png

1000000122.jpg

1000000135.jpg

1000000136.jpg

Domus

Guru
My ride to Portsmouth from Southampton with added section to Piccadilly fell a midges short of 50 Kms. My mental arithmetic let me down somewhat. Lovely ride down the estuary from Saint Malo then up the other side to Dinard for lunch by the beach on Sunday. Returned to Saint Malo via the tidal barrage.
Visit to Mont St Michel then on to Averanches for the night. 👍🚴🏻🇫🇷

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Congratulations to @Jon George 1st poster for July he was up early enough to beat me to the post as I got my July banker in nice and early with a tootle around Market Bosworth
June update we have 27 riders fully posted up to date with 1 rider yet to declare but he's a regular late poster so hopefully 28 of us press on

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
After a year of primarily using a Fixed Gear for my daily rides the difference when, as like this morning, I go for a longer ride on one of my geared bikes is quite startling. I've obviously built up my strength, because I found that when I got home today, I was still up for more distance if I had wanted to. :okay:
This out near Hemingstone. (I imagined I was in France for a while. :smile:)

IMG_5142.jpg

Domus

Guru
Exciting day in France, set off in gentle drizzle to ride over Pont de Normandie then on to Le Havre where preparations were being made to welcome the Olympic torch. The sun came out as we climbed out of the port onto quiet lanes between wheat fields with poppies growing around the edges. Down to Étretat for lunch where the roads were closed to cars but not bikes as the Olympic torch was due at any time. School children were out in force as were many Police officers including some CRS. No flame was spotted but a large convoy of police cars and Paris ‘24 cars arrived hooting their horns and sounding their klaxons. Hotter now and another climb before the very fast and windy descent into Fecamp for the night. Last day tomorrow to Dieppe.

Domus

Guru
Up in Grange, certainly different to France, drizzle, pot holes and bad drivers. :cursing:
Rode to Morecambe to visit an old friend waiting for a new hip. Komoot took me down some very quiet lanes to Warton, I then joined the traffic with some dodgy driving 😞. Spent a couple of hours with him before riding back to Carnforth for a cancelled train. 😡

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Spent a couple of hours with him before riding back to Carnforth for a cancelled train. 😡
Did you claim for that?

I was waiting in Clitheroe once when my return Northern train was suddenly cancelled. I cycled home and filed a Delay Repay complaint. I was given a single journey Northern network pass as compensation. I aim to use it to get me and my bike to somewhere like Appleby-in-Westmorland and ride back from there.

Top Bottom