The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Mission accomplished.
Almost turned around in Witherslack. The Wahoo was showing -7°C. I was struggling to change gear so stopped in a lay-by removed my cold gloves shoved them inside my jacket and ate a bar and waved my hands to get the blood back into them. The pain was awful. The pain slowly eased and I decided to press on. The right decision as I soon felt OK. Coffee and toast in Arnside with fabulous views back to Grange. The ride back was much more enjoyable. My feet and core were cosy all day, the search for the cold fingers remedy continues.
Wow, I’m impressed you got out today. That’s on my patch and round here the minor roads are dreadful with black ice. Maybe better by the coast.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Loads of ice of assorted types up here too, and hour or so on the bike feels like plenty.
May try to do my 50 tomorrow if I can find warm havens to head too. Might actually take a flask of hot tea or soup too!!
Might see if I can find my camping stove & billy. Be nice to have a tin of Irish stew in the hills.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Annnnnd back in the game! (Cannot believe I've done eight years of this glorious nonsense! Well done to everyone who participates.)
Looking at the forecast, I was awfully tempted not to try for it today, but I'm glad I did. Though I experimented with some of my usual country lanes, I kept mainly to clearer roads. Four more months to complete a 100 and kudus to those who have do so already.
And a pic that I believe sums up the conditions.
View attachment 715062

And that's why I didn't go out until later in the day and stuck to the main roads. You must have had fun with all the traffic in town due to the Orwell Bridge being closed.

I'll fill in the details on the ride thread later, but the Suffolk contingent of this challenge has a 100% finish rate.

Domus

Guru
Wow, I’m impressed you got out today. That’s on my patch and round here the minor roads are dreadful with black ice. Maybe better by the coast.

I waited ‘till almost 10.00 then set out with a little trepidation but the only dodgy part was the short section of bike path before Gilpin Bridge. No slips or slides, took a bit longer than usual that’s all.

Where are you based?

Reactions: C R

Willd

Guru
:cold: is all I can say today, -1 is cold enough for me. At least it was dry and not very windy :smile:

Frosty fingers, no pictures of my icy helmet fortunately :whistle:

I thought I was going to do a whole ride without seeing another cyclist, but there was one other daft brave individual :hello:

2023-05-04 19.57.49.jpg

Last edited:

Osprey

Guru
Well done @Osprey ,finisher no5 .I take it you had no snow your way today

8 deg and showers here on the South West Wales coast. Much more civilised climate for winter cycling. Take care all if you have ice or snow. 👍

Reactions: C R

geocycle

Legendary Member
Done it! Very cold but ice free so did a pancake flat 101 km across the flatlands of north Lancashire. Really only set out to do a 50 km but felt ok so kept going. Pleased to have achieved the challenge again this year and my own unofficial target of at least one 100 km a month. Still want to reach 5000 miles for the year so not feet up time yet!

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
No7 over the line that will be me , weather finally broke so after a morning zwift racing I got out , roads were filthy and bike was at the end all washed sitting with coffee happy that for 9 years in a row Ive stayed healthy and injury free to complete again

Last edited:
Top Bottom