Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I just did the first stage. Seemed familiar. Is it one we’ve used in handicap races? My result was surprisingly good. I took out a massive lead at the start and just about held on at the end. My weight was still set at 87kg which no doubt helped! Although strangely I made all my time going up the first hill and lost it going down.

My watts seemed about standard for BKOOL. I did alp d’huez just before and the resistance seemed fine too. Just the result vs the field was well, surprising... bleh...BKOOL gonna BKOOL.... if someone with more of a handle on the techy stuff wants to check out the stats you might find some anomalies :smile:
No help on that one for me with bkool watts unlike a few of the stories I've heard... :sweat:

Also I found that going over the last bit of a rise before a drop, my watts will be say 320 but then immediately over the rise they'll drop to 230, even though I'm pushing at the same intensity. It just kills any forward momentum I might get.

Not sure if this was the bkool update that's buggered it up?

Anyway, glad I could get the ride in as I'm looking after the baby for a few hours... she started to wake up with 10km left but the sound of the turbo helped her drift off to sleep!

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
I just did the first stage. Seemed familiar. Is it one we’ve used in handicap races? My result was surprisingly good. I took out a massive lead at the start and just about held on at the end. My weight was still set at 87kg which no doubt helped! Although strangely I made all my time going up the first hill and lost it going down.

My watts seemed about standard for BKOOL. I did alp d’huez just before and the resistance seemed fine too. Just the result vs the field was well, surprising... bleh...BKOOL gonna BKOOL.... if someone with more of a handle on the techy stuff wants to check out the stats you might find some anomalies :smile:
Great ride Tommy - and preceeded by an hour of climbing up Alpe d'Huez - :notworthy:

Not taking anything away from your efforts but a quick look on strava at yours, mine and Bill's ride up that initial hill does suggest you got a bit of a "Bkool tailwind" up the first part of the initial climb! You went up the first mile or so of the hill - a gradient of between 4 and 6% - at an average of about 28mph, whilst my speed on the same section was around 14mph and Bill's around 12mph. The hill then levels out and goes downhill slightly which shows on mine and Bill's ride as a big jump in speed, but at the same point on yours, the speed just remains about the same with no drop in power, which does suggest something not quite right. After that, the hill goes up again, and at this point your speed drops to around 9-11mph which is very similar to mine, so it seems your trainer sorted itself out at this point! Looks like you gained quite a bit of time on that opening mile or so of climbing though when your resistance probably wasn't applied properly for some reason. Your average speed from the top of the hill to the finish is almost exactly the same as mine.

Great ride all the same - it's clear from your HR that you were going for it!

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Great ride Tommy - and preceeded by an hour of climbing up Alpe d'Huez - :notworthy:

Not taking anything away from your efforts but a quick look on strava at yours, mine and Bill's ride up that initial hill does suggest you got a bit of a "Bkool tailwind" up the first part of the initial climb! You went up the first mile or so of the hill - a gradient of between 4 and 6% - at an average of about 28mph, whilst my speed on the same section was around 14mph and Bill's around 12mph. The hill then levels out and goes downhill slightly which shows on mine and Bill's ride as a big jump in speed, but at the same point on yours, the speed just remains about the same with no drop in power, which does suggest something not quite right. After that, the hill goes up again, and at this point your speed drops to around 9-11mph which is very similar to mine, so it seems your trainer sorted itself out at this point! Looks like you gained quite a bit of time on that opening mile or so of climbing though when your resistance probably wasn't applied properly for some reason. Your average speed from the top of the hill to the finish is almost exactly the same as mine.

Great ride all the same - it's clear from your HR that you were going for it!

Well that all makes perfect sense mate. (Begrudgingly... ^_^)

I shot off the start line. Thinking about it, I grinded up alp d’uez, I have a standard chainset on my Cannondale, so the relative ease of the effort on a flatter stage probably masked the resistance failings of the trainer. The watts didn’t seem outlandish but then I wasn’t really paying attention to the mph. It must of given me 2-3mins at least at a guess, maybe more. Oh well. If I can’t get a benefit from my 60mm rims on the turbo it seems like the least BKOOL can do is push me up the hills! :tongue:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

I shot off the start line. Thinking about it, I grinded up alp d’uez, I have a standard chainset on my Cannondale, so the relative ease of the effort on a flatter stage probably masked the resistance failings of the trainer. The watts didn’t seem outlandish but then I wasn’t really paying attention to the mph. It must of given me 2-3mins at least at a guess, maybe more. Oh well. If I can’t get a benefit from my 60mm rims on the turbo it seems like the least BKOOL can do is push me up the hills! :tongue:
I'd say the advantage you got was more like 8 minutes :tongue:

bridgy

Legendary Member

Haha! It's bkool - we've all been there - I think I had a push all the way up Alpe d'Huez once! I'd bask in the glory of beating AAAC while you can If I were you!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Also I found that going over the last bit of a rise before a drop, my watts will be say 320 but then immediately over the rise they'll drop to 230, even though I'm pushing at the same intensity. It just kills any forward momentum I might get.
I always get this, on both Bkool and Zwift. Then, assuming I get in a high gear, it will start to creep back up again. I still think the watts are calculated based on the speed of the rear wheel, taking into account the resistance in the trainer and the weight of the rider. It then derives watts using a model that then says ..... at that speed, at that resistance, at that weight, you would need to push x watts so we'll return that number. With a tyre pumped right up, it will roll faster than say IRL so Bkool can see the rider going faster and over eggs the watts.

Maybe everyone else already knows this and I'm stating the obvious :dry: but this is why I'm not too fussed by the watts in either Bkool or Zwift. I use it as a guide only and it's the speed that is more important.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
@Jim Brown i take it there is snow up your way now? Must be pretty tricky unless you can get winter road tyres for the bike or do you switch to mountain biking?

Afternoon Mr @Daddy Pig - Yes, very cold with snow on the hills. I was planning on going out today but became very comfortable, watching rugby (league) and reading your scribbling.. if it’s dry, with no threat of ice I’ll venture out when I can - just lots of layers. Other than that - Bkool.

According to my Garmin I’ve completed around 1700 RW miles this year and therefore, approximately 2900 Bkool miles - I should comfortably complete 5000 miles this year which I’m pleased with. 6 Sportive’s and my first century ride inclusive.

:highfive:

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I always get this, on both Bkool and Zwift. Then, assuming I get in a high gear, it will start to creep back up again. I still think the watts are calculated based on the speed of the rear wheel, taking into account the resistance in the trainer and the weight of the rider. It then derives watts using a model that then says ..... at that speed, at that resistance, at that weight, you would need to push x watts so we'll return that number. With a tyre pumped right up, it will roll faster than say IRL so Bkool can see the rider going faster and over eggs the watts.

Maybe everyone else already knows this and I'm stating the obvious :dry: but this is why I'm not too fussed by the watts in either Bkool or Zwift. I use it as a guide only and it's the speed that is more important.
I've never really had this issue before. Maybe it' just that I never really saw it as I was probably pushing 370 plus at the top of most climbs and winding up rather than just hanging in there!

Top Bottom