Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Did they listen?
You can tell them where they are, but can you make them go there.

Nor could I. That's the bit I thought might have been answered last night, but it wasn't.
You that well liked at school by the teachers! Mine were worried in case I opted to stay in the sixth form. Like you, I were out as soon as possible.
Not the same luck in getting a job as you though. Too old for school, too young for the employment exchange to deal with.

Did you see if it were still there, earlier this year when water levels were low.

Jobs were plentiful in those halcyon days..
finish one on the Fri and start another on the Mon..
I had a knack for sales...
plus a train trip up daily to the Glasgow warehouse for mostly specs orders..
I had sold two top cameras in no time at all, no bluff or bluster just point out the good points with advice on lesser points, note the use of the word lesser...
I got strongly disliked by bloke who'd been there five years and had never sold anything but basic ones..
Atmosphere got boring so left for apprenticeship....

I just saw an ad for a kid's bank card, getting paid for housework?
here I could get paid by the hour or the jobs done..
2023 could be profitable
must see Mrs M about this :cuppa:

classic33

Leg End Member
Jobs were plentiful in those halcyon days..
finish one on the Fri and start another on the Mon..
I had a knack for sales...
plus a train trip up daily to the Glasgow warehouse for mostly specs orders..
I had sold two top cameras in no time at all, no bluff or bluster just point out the good points with advice on lesser points, note the use of the word lesser...
I got strongly disliked by bloke who'd been there five years and had never sold anything but basic ones..
Atmosphere got boring so left for apprenticeship....

I just saw an ad for a kid's bank card, getting paid for housework?
here I could get paid by the hour or the jobs done..
2023 could be profitable
must see Mrs M about this :cuppa:
Worse now with all these silly tests they have you doing when you apply for a job. And their interest in what you've done before is amazing. More so if it's not relevant to the job in hand.

Failed the multiple choice test for the Post Office, cycling postie, when I answered with fix or replace the inner tube to the question of what would I do if I had a puncture. My answer wasn't even considered possible, and I was the first to give such an answer. Correct answer was to call someone, office location, and get them to send a van out with another bike.

Did seven years in a toyshop, selling stuff other shops couldn't. Simply by being honest with folk. I'd tell some if what they wanted was cheaper elsewhere. Or if we didn't sell it/have what they wanted, where they could get it. Against company policy, but they always came back.

Suppose she agrees, and pays you the kids rate though. Or maybe even pays you and then uses it when your on shopping duty. What then?
Will you be negotiating for payment by the hour or job completed?

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Worse now with all these silly tests they have you doing when you apply for a job. And their interest in what you've done before is amazing. More so if it's not relevant to the job in hand.

Failed the multiple choice test for the Post Office, cycling postie, when I answered with fix or replace the inner tube to the question of what would I do if I had a puncture. My answer wasn't even considered possible, and I was the first to give such an answer. Correct answer was to call someone, office location, and get them to send a van out with another bike.

Did seven years in a toyshop, selling stuff other shops couldn't. Simply by being honest with folk. I'd tell some if what they wanted was cheaper elsewhere. Or if we didn't sell it/have what they wanted, where they could get it. Against company policy, but they always came back.

Suppose she agrees, and pays you the kids rate though. Or maybe even pays you and then uses it when your on shopping duty. What then?
Will you be negotiating for payment by the hour or job completed?

Hour, minimum rate for over 65s..

I tried to be a fireman, did all the tests, interview when they found out I occasionally wore Gregory Pecks, erse right out the window, I could have been Cridlington ....I don't have the strong chin for Sam, tbh.
I've always said a certificate doesn't mean you have an aptitude more you could have been good at studying and passing exams but don't have the problem solving needed.

Almost the end of '22..
Its not been my fave recent year..
'23 is going to be a bounce back year......

All the very best to everyone who pays this thread a visit,
Hope '23 is good for you...

I may have a celebratory beer now.

May? :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Hour, minimum rate for over 65s..

I tried to be a fireman, did all the tests, interview when they found out I occasionally wore Gregory Pecks, erse right out the window, I could have been Cridlington ....I don't have the strong chin for Sam, tbh.
I've always said a certificate doesn't mean you have an aptitude more you could have been good at studying and passing exams but don't have the problem solving needed.

Almost the end of '22..
Its not been my fave recent year..
'23 is going to be a bounce back year......

All the very best to everyone who pays this thread a visit,
Hope '23 is good for you...

I may have a celebratory beer now.

May? :laugh:
Suppose you could do a number of jobs in under an hour though!
Let us know how the negotiations work out. Maybe we could get someone to fight your corner.

Fireman Bob, non of these Fireman Sam videos. You could have regaled the Young Un with your own tales.
Never placed a lot of faith in paper qualifications myself. You knew on the day, can you still remember it though.
That post office one was a surprise for them as much as me. Them, someone able to fix a puncture, and carry the means to do so. Pump, tube and repair kit. Me, don't any of the others carry a bike pump with them?

Just under ninety minutes left now.
The same to thee and thine. Go and get that beer, if you haven't already done so.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Happy New Year to you both
Suppose you could do a number of jobs in under an hour though!
Let us know how the negotiations work out. Maybe we could get someone to fight your corner.

Fireman Bob, non of these Fireman Sam videos. You could have regaled the Young Un with your own tales.
Never placed a lot of faith in paper qualifications myself. You knew on the day, can you still remember it though.
That post office one was a surprise for them as much as me. Them, someone able to fix a puncture, and carry the means to do so. Pump, tube and repair kit. Me, don't any of the others carry a bike pump with them?

Just under ninety minutes left now.
The same to thee and thine. Go and get that beer, if you haven't already done so.
Nah, hourly rate minimum..
I worked in a builders in the early '70s, once a week / fortnight I got job sheets for washers (tap), and i walked the streets of the now stuck in its past glories seaside town. Each house was charged minimum of one hour. Embarrassing as i dragged the job out.
I'd stick yon Norman in List D school along with those others who whisper 'Sorry, Fireman Sam'....tp get away with arson and other stoopidity.

classic33

Leg End Member
Happy New Year to you both

Nah, hourly rate minimum..
I worked in a builders in the early '70s, once a week / fortnight I got job sheets for washers (tap), and i walked the streets of the now stuck in its past glories seaside town. Each house was charged minimum of one hour. Embarrassing as i dragged the job out.
I'd stick yon Norman in List D school along with those others who whisper 'Sorry, Fireman Sam'....tp get away with arson and other stoopidity.
Dragging the job out is why I wondered if hourly rate were best. "Da Boss" might think you're stringing her along, forcing a renegotiation of terms & less favourable (to you) payment.
You have talked this through now, negotiated the hourly rate. Filled the application form in, and now await the bank reopening on Tuesday.

This Norman, I take it if there's trouble he's never far from it, or always involved in some way.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Dragging the job out is why I wondered if hourly rate were best. "Da Boss" might think you're stringing her along, forcing a renegotiation of terms & less favourable (to you) payment.
You have talked this through now, negotiated the hourly rate. Filled the application form in, and now await the bank reopening on Tuesday.

This Norman, I take it if there's trouble he's never far from it, or always involved in some way.

As you would guess, cuppas were offered in most houses.
the Boss had said if you get offered say a cuppa, esp if it was an older person to accept as you may be the only person they talk to that day (got the same advice when we started cutting pensioners gardens with cooncil)..
Sitting in someone's kitchen with lady of the house chatting, when front door bursts open and a red faced (her husband) started throwing all sorts of adultery accusations about..
It was who is this, who is he etc etc.

he's the f'in plumber who has come to fix the dripping tap..
it wasn't wearing,
excuse me I'm off says I..
he said No, you stay there...
Pulls big shifting spanner out and shows him it...
calms down,
it all gets sorted out..
apologies, a fiver shoved in my hand and told to buy a beer or too.

LOL..that was fun.

classic33

Leg End Member
As you would guess, cuppas were offered in most houses.
the Boss had said if you get offered say a cuppa, esp if it was an older person to accept as you may be the only person they talk to that day (got the same advice when we started cutting pensioners gardens with cooncil)..
Sitting in someone's kitchen with lady of the house chatting, when front door bursts open and a red faced (her husband) started throwing all sorts of adultery accusations about..
It was who is this, who is he etc etc.

he's the f'in plumber who has come to fix the dripping tap..
it wasn't wearing,
excuse me I'm off says I..
he said No, you stay there...
Pulls big shifting spanner out and shows him it...
calms down,
it all gets sorted out..
apologies, a fiver shoved in my hand and told to buy a beer or too.

LOL..that was fun.
Sadly that second piece will be truer these days than then. Very few see their neighbours, even in a block of flats.

Were you often in that position of having to explain who you were, what you were there for to the other half?
Suppose if you'd pulled yer spanner out, and they refused to accept yer explanation, you could have always fought yer way out. Don't know what you'd have used as a shield though.
A fiver buying a beer or two. Them were days.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Sadly that second piece will be truer these days than then. Very few see their neighbours, even in a block of flats.

Were you often in that position of having to explain who you were, what you were there for to the other half?
Suppose if you'd pulled yer spanner out, and they refused to accept yer explanation, you could have always fought yer way out. Don't know what you'd have used as a shield though.
A fiver buying a beer or two. Them were days.

It bought plenty 1974ish....
a marriage that wouldn't last I think.

Busy day, youngest of the clan down (with their mum and dad) then my youngest and boyfriend paid a visit..
Nice..

classic33

Leg End Member
It bought plenty 1974ish....
a marriage that wouldn't last I think.

Busy day, youngest of the clan down (with their mum and dad) then my youngest and boyfriend paid a visit..
Nice..
Not as much now, which is the "surprise".
Yer'll have had yer fish and chips, with pickle egg on the side.

Did they come bearing gifts of cake and chocolate?
They interrupt your plans of a day doing nothing. Negotiations aside.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Not as much now, which is the "surprise".
Yer'll have had yer fish and chips, with pickle egg on the side.

Did they come bearing gifts of cake and chocolate?
They interrupt your plans of a day doing nothing. Negotiations aside.

Nay pickled egg, non, niet, no
Of course, fizz and choc..
Good to see some of the family after such a Xmas period....
Oh well..
Another day, another dollar they say..

Top Bottom