Tea? (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
New amp is interesting. It has a gazillion presets but seems to have no 'clean' setting so I unplug the guitar and then plug it into the Yamaha amp which has on/off gain/clean :laugh: The new Fender amp is really fun though, I do need to do a bit of the old RTFM, I will in a bit but experimenting is such fun. If the manual fails to help, I'll pop down to Cookes on Monday and throw myself on their mercy for advice.

Guitar teacher (Leigh) and I get on really well. I have been on the planet twice as long as he has but technically he is twice as old as I am. We laugh a lot - mostly at me. I regularly turn up in tee-shirts older than him and am at pains to point that out. He's a great teacher, a real laugh but incredibly talented. We have lots in common and him being very easy on the eye doesn't hurt either.
We spent a good half an hour with guitars on racks while we surfed youtube and looked at his main competition on the web - as you do. I've been known to take beer when I've not had to drive back home. I've threatened to teach him to cook but he's learned how to cook noodles now so he'll not starve. He thinks that cooking is dark magic and best to be avoided at all costs.
We do actually play our guitars, for at least half an hour each friday. 3 hours is about the norm, it's the giggling that takes all the time.

Homework this week is CCR - Proud Mary.
Oh I love a good bit of CCR, although not heard them for a while, will have to dig some out + the Allman Brothers band & some Lynnrd Skynnrd too.

I think I may have told you this before but anyway, my tutor used to do this "Oooh, nice bit of jazz" thing every time I hit a bum note/chord & change the titles of songs like 'Enter the Cabin Boy' for Mettalica's - Enter Sandman etc.

He was a proper laugh, might have to get back in touch & pick up where I left off at some point in the near future. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Oh I love a good bit of CCR, although not heard them for a while, will have to dig some out + the Allman Brothers band & some Lynnrd Skynnrd too.

I think I may have told you this before but anyway, my tutor used to do this "Oooh, nice bit of jazz" thing every time I hit a bum note/chord & change the titles of songs like 'Enter the Cabin Boy' for Mettalica's - Enter Sandman etc.

He was a proper laugh, might have to get back in touch & pick up where I left off at some point in the near future. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I might have to pinch the 'nice bit of jazz' comment. Leigh calls 1 Direction, '1 erection' and he positively blanches if Justin Bleeber or whatever his name is gets mentioned :laugh:.
Last week I taught myself Romanza, which is a completely different style of playing for me, so he hands over 'part 2' of it and said "off you go then, you'll have that sorted by next week". I like a challenge. My Epiphone Dove got to work quite hard last week, playing Romanza on the Strat, for the first time, was different. Not nearly so hard work.
All guitars, except for the Yamaha acoustic, are now on the new stand. Very lovely they look too.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Hello mikey & SL, Saluki, stephec, Bobby Mhor, Choo Choo La Rue, MikeG & victor of Victoria & anyone else on their return. :thumbsup:
'Lo Ste:thumbsup:
I remember buying CCR 'Green River' album:music:...to think they were late 60s
:hello:
Have just been creating an album of photos from the ride yesterday. 50 miles and 46 photos. I may be a bit snap-happy.:shy:

On our trip to the Buchaille Etive Mor a fortnight ago, I said to my son to take the photies...
218 later he handed me the camera back....

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Post your favourites up here Rickshaw, be nice to see some of what you saw, see saw. :laugh:
Okay, here's a few:
DSC0001372.jpg

About 9 (ish) miles in, Gav and Doug posing in front of the very elegant Plaish Hall.

DSC0001381.jpg

"You're taking us up there?!"

DSC0001386.jpg

Yup, I was and they did make it: Doug crests the climb.:thumbsup: The camera struggled to cope with the light conditions under the trees, but it actually created a nice speed blur effect on this one.^_^

DSC0001391.jpg

Watching the trains go by at Bridgnorth. One of my favourite engines.

DSC0001397.jpg

We followed the path on the old trackbed towards Ironbridge. This is the old station at Coalport.

DSC0001404.jpg

DSC0001405.jpg

Not the end of the ride just yet but drinks were definitely earned.

The ride report is here if you like these

Last edited:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
At the time I effectively stopped playing (just after the birth of our one & only) I was/still am heavily drawn to the Blues & have always been into classic rock, lately I have been taking an interest in some more modern country rock.

It's good I think to have a little foray into other genres occasionally.

I am now minus 1 guitar since I sold one of my PRS guitars but I still have plenty to occupy me, should I ever get the time.

Every now & then I might give you a shout on here recommending a band or track that might interest you if that's o.k ?

How is the new Manics album, I haven't got round to getting it yet ?

Went to see them around 6/7 years back at the M.E.N, cracking gig.

Use the "bit of jazz" thing & claim it as your own Saluki, I won't say anything as I have been plagiarising it for years now.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hours from death MikeG...

It's horrible innit...

I have had Man Flu too. ;)
G.R..jpg

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Okay, here's a few:
View attachment 51562

About 9 (ish) miles in Gav and Doug posing in front of the very elegant Plaish Hall.

View attachment 51563
"You're taking us up there?!"

View attachment 51564
Yup, I was and they did make it: Doug crests the climb.:thumbsup: The camera struggled to cope with the light conditions under the trees, but it actually created a nice speed blur effect on this one.^_^

View attachment 51565
Watching the trains go by at Bridgnorth. One of my favourite engines.

View attachment 51566
We followed the path on the old trackbed towards Ironbridge. This is the old station at Coalport.

View attachment 51567
View attachment 51568
Not the end of the ride just yet but drinks were definitely earned.

The ride report is here if you like these
What are those two guys doing (top picture) scoping out my gaff ? :angry:

My gardener's missed a bit too. :tongue:

classic33

Leg End Member
Working today Ian, so no time for hard ass cycling + my back is still shot, not as shot as last week but not great.

Lots of cyclists out today including 2 boys of around 10 + 11 yrs with their Dad (presumably) tackling a long climb up the A6 Chorley Old Rd through Horwich up & over the tops towards Bolton, this climb is about 6k long & gets fairly steep in parts too so Chapeau to them.

Also on the return trip from Chorley I spied a white van & a car in a bus lay by, (naughty, pet hate) but easily forgiven when I saw Cycle for Sarah emblazoned all over it.

Sure as eggs are eggs, I then saw around 30 + cyclists all seemingly headed off the same way in groups, really good to see, despite my jealous streak a mile wide.

Wish I was out there with them.

Instead I am stuck here with Betty Swollocks. :cry:

What were the van & bus upto in the layby then?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
At the time I effectively stopped playing (just after the birth of our one & only) I was/still am heavily drawn to the Blues & have always been into classic rock, lately I have been taking an interest in some more modern country rock.

It's good I think to have a little foray into other genres occasionally.

I am now minus 1 guitar since I sold one of my PRS guitars but I still have plenty to occupy me, should I ever get the time.

Every now & then I might give you a shout on here recommending a band or track that might interest you if that's o.k ?

How is the new Manics album, I haven't got round to getting it yet ?

Went to see them around 6/7 years back at the M.E.N, cracking gig.

Use the "bit of jazz" thing & claim it as your own Saluki, I won't say anything as I have been plagiarising it for years now.
The new Manics CD is great. I had it on pre-order for ever. I got the 'deluxe' version, which has a CD with all the demos on, the album is signed as well. I did the same with the last one too.
I did mention to Hubster that he now has 4 guitars to my 2. Hubster has his Les Paul, Peavey Zodiac EX Bass, Takamine acoustic and the Yamaha acoustic that was given to him. I'm not keen on the Yamaha acoustic, it sounds funny to me, even when it's in tune.
I have my Squier Strat (1989 Korean, nice early Korean one at that so it has all the Japanese Fender parts still) and my Epiphone Dove. I'd like an American Fender Strat but cannot afford one, happily that Squier sounds fantastic and it's beautifully put together.
Here he is, with his original scratchplate and pickup covers on. They have been changed now for pearlised white and very gorgeous he looks now. I've kept the originals, obviously.
DSCF7340.jpg

Recommend away. I love listening to stuff that I've not come across before. We are looking forward to Brickfest in Norwich at the end of August. Lots of local bands and sponsored by my guitar teacher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom