Tea? (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member

classic33

Leg End Member
Merry Christmas everyone :snowball:
Happy New Year.jpg

MikeG

Guru

Well, I'm glad you asked, because I've been needing to get this off my chest all day. Reddon and Hurd (2009) investigated the relationship between boldness and cerebral lateralisation (the preferential use of one hemisphere of the brain to perform certain cognitive functions) in convict cichlids (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus). They found a significant positive correlation between the degree of laterality a fish possessed and how bold it was in a familiar environment. This was not the case in novel environments; however the degree of lateralisation in familiar environments could predict levels of boldness later in novel environments. Barth et al. ( 2005) (cited inReddon and Hurd (2009)) found that in the Frequent-situsinversus strain of zebrafish (Danio rerio) behaviours that are often lateralized to opposite hemispheres in wild type fish tend to co-occur in the same hemisphere. This may explain why they are bolder in novel environments than wild type zebra fish.

The HPA axis, otherwise known as the Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, is a system that connects these components of the neuroendocrine system and, amongst other activities, controls behaviour. High HPA axis activity within an individual can be measured by increased levels of hormones such as corticosteroid and ACTH present as both are produced via this axis and/or by a higher amount of reactivity in the parasympathetic nervous system (shown by an increased bradycardia response to an unpredicted stressor)(Koolhaus, 2007). Low HPA activity on the other hand can be detected by higher levels of adrenalin and noradrenaline along with higher heart rate and blood pressure (Koolhaas et al. 1999).

There, I feel so much better for sharing that.........

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Well, I'm glad you asked, because I've been needing to get this off my chest all day. Reddon and Hurd (2009) investigated the relationship between boldness and cerebral lateralisation (the preferential use of one hemisphere of the brain to perform certain cognitive functions) in convict cichlids (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus). They found a significant positive correlation between the degree of laterality a fish possessed and how bold it was in a familiar environment. This was not the case in novel environments; however the degree of lateralisation in familiar environments could predict levels of boldness later in novel environments. Barth et al. ( 2005) (cited inReddon and Hurd (2009)) found that in the Frequent-situsinversus strain of zebrafish (Danio rerio) behaviours that are often lateralized to opposite hemispheres in wild type fish tend to co-occur in the same hemisphere. This may explain why they are bolder in novel environments than wild type zebra fish.

:music: :reading::popcorn::eek:

classic33

Leg End Member

The HPA axis, otherwise known as the Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, is a system that connects these components of the neuroendocrine system and, amongst other activities, controls behaviour. High HPA axis activity within an individual can be measured by increased levels of hormones such as corticosteroid and ACTH present as both are produced via this axis and/or by a higher amount of reactivity in the parasympathetic nervous system (shown by an increased bradycardia response to an unpredicted stressor)(Koolhaus, 2007). Low HPA activity on the other hand can be detected by higher levels of adrenalin and noradrenaline along with higher heart rate and blood pressure (Koolhaas et al. 1999).

See you gave the shorter version, making no mention of the effect on seperated hemispheres.

MikeG

Guru
See you gave the shorter version, making no mention of the effect on seperated hemispheres.
Well, you have to take account of your audience. This nominally being a cycling forum, I wondered whether too in depth an explanation could get some of the readers a little bored. However, I did give the references, so anyone interested might go and read up the original science. :smile:

stephec

Squire
Wa

Was any public money wasted on that? :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom