Tea? (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Squire
You 2 are making me confused. Then again, thats not hard to do. Thought I'd get that in before one of you did.
Nobody wants to be seen stating the obvious. :smile:

MikeG

Guru
Anyone else here need an audience when in the bath?

No, not me. My wife. She gets thoroughly disgruntled if there is no-one sitting in the bathroom chatting whilst she soaks. So, I gotta go........

classic33

Leg End Member
Good Night Everyone and Good Morning Mr C.............off to bed :hello:
Sithi

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Well, I'm glad you asked, because I've been needing to get this off my chest all day. Reddon and Hurd (2009) investigated the relationship between boldness and cerebral lateralisation (the preferential use of one hemisphere of the brain to perform certain cognitive functions) in convict cichlids (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus). They found a significant positive correlation between the degree of laterality a fish possessed and how bold it was in a familiar environment. This was not the case in novel environments; however the degree of lateralisation in familiar environments could predict levels of boldness later in novel environments. Barth et al. ( 2005) (cited inReddon and Hurd (2009)) found that in the Frequent-situsinversus strain of zebrafish (Danio rerio) behaviours that are often lateralized to opposite hemispheres in wild type fish tend to co-occur in the same hemisphere. This may explain why they are bolder in novel environments than wild type zebra fish.

The HPA axis, otherwise known as the Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, is a system that connects these components of the neuroendocrine system and, amongst other activities, controls behaviour. High HPA axis activity within an individual can be measured by increased levels of hormones such as corticosteroid and ACTH present as both are produced via this axis and/or by a higher amount of reactivity in the parasympathetic nervous system (shown by an increased bradycardia response to an unpredicted stressor)(Koolhaus, 2007). Low HPA activity on the other hand can be detected by higher levels of adrenalin and noradrenaline along with higher heart rate and blood pressure (Koolhaas et al. 1999).

There, I feel so much better for sharing that.........
The Iran v Nigeria game might not be as dull I was thinking.

stephec

Squire
No. That'll be much more to do with their desperate fight for the one flake of fish food you give them each month, I reckon.
They get the finest frozen food, bloodworms and a ciclid mix, that's why they're big fat fish.

The plecostumus doesn't do too bad either, a tasty bit of cucumber to nibble on and at least three vege tablets a day, that's why he's at least ten inches long and nice and thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom