Tea? (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lullabelle

Banana
Well done to Mark Cavendish

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
:hello:

Just back from Blandings Apley Estate where they've been having a jousting event plus falconry and a display of herding...Indian Runner ducks. Good fun! Here's some pics:

HPIM1236Edit.jpg

The falconer didn't bring the usual selection of birds: Bald Eagle.

HPIM1240Edit.jpg

A rather wilful Vulture.

HPIM1268Edit.jpg

The jousting was quite good too.

For those wondering about my earlier quip, Apley Hall is believed to be the place that Blandings is based on.

Arch

Married to Night Train
The chap in blue and yellow won the jousting and the vulture found and ate someones dropped bacon sandwich.:smile: According to the falconer's tales, the same vulture raided the barbecue at a previous event.:laugh:

NT and I saw a falconry display that had a vulture, and that one didn't do exactly as it was told. I wonder if it was the same one, or if all vultures are recalcitrant.

A friend told me that the ends of modern jousting lances are made of bunches of dry spaghetti, so that in a direct impact, it splinters harmlessly, like a sort of crumple zone, I can't remember which English king it was, who was killed in a joust when a splinter of solid wood got through his visor and into his eye.

<google>

No, it was Henry II of France, not England. But Henry VIII was nearly killed in a joust when he fell off.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
NT and I saw a falconry display that had a vulture, and that one didn't do exactly as it was told. I wonder if it was the same one, or if all vultures are recalcitrant.
It could be the same one as they are Yorkshire based. There were a couple of vultures and both were being awkward.:giggle:

A friend told me that the ends of modern jousting lances are made of bunches of dry spaghetti, so that in a direct impact, it splinters harmlessly, like a sort of crumple zone.
That sounds about right, it surprised me how the small ball at the end of the lance splintered dramatically on impact.

I can't remember which English king it was, who was killed in a joust when a splinter of solid wood got through his visor and into his eye.
I recall one of the modern jousters died the same way about 4 or 5 years ago.:ohmy: That was with a balsa lance. Very nasty!:sad:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Or a lickle bunny

BJW_jDpCEAAGb6y.jpg
You don't want one of them, they grow you know!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIRfVJfBBUPhX_l1RU73P2V33xjPYg5KZPXMSlyyQ5fzNayBLp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom