Specialized...you may want to rethink this one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snailracer

Über Member
Specialized is deliberately misspelt to avoid issues with copyright. It's ironic they didn't do the same with their Roubaix line.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
The biggest problem is that the shop could probably successfully defend themselves in court, but can't afford to do so. So S********* have won purely on account of their size and muscle.

In my opinion this what's wrong.
BMW have done it to small garages dealing in old BL minis - Drop the Mini or see you in court, Harley Davidson have also stopped businesses from using certain words in their descriptions. In some cases I can understand it. The independent "Harley trading post" just became "The trading post" after being threatened, but the Mini dealer trading in vehicles that bear no relation to BMW vehicles? - bonkers.

He who has the most expensive lawyers wins!
:banghead:

If you read some of the posts on FB you will see theres a post offering services from one of Canadas top law firms for free, people are donating to the cause but best bit is, people are boycotting S*********d and spending their cash elsewhere as I have already done so, I think S*********d have really upset the apple cart this time.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Funding a lawyer to fight a case is just mind-numbingly stupid.... only an idiot would do that. On the basis that any advertising is good, the cafe/ bike shop is doing very nicely thank you.... certainly the free publicity and the warm fuzzy feeling people will have for Cafe Roubaix, in his home town area, will more than fund the new branding and put the new name high on the list and get him international PR.... to be that clever/ savvy the cafe owner might even have done it deliberately.....:whistle:

Last edited:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I'm off down my local Spech store to spend a few quid to help pay the legal fees. Won't stop me buying there stuff I dare say this stuff goes on with plenty of other firms that we all unknowingly use.

22klqu.jpg
@Tanis8472 ^_^

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The biggest problem is that the shop could probably successfully defend themselves in court, but can't afford to do so. So S********* have won purely on account of their size and muscle.
Says who? I can't find anything in the original article that says any such thing. The closest is: "Richter says his lawyer thinks they have a good case to make", which (a) isn't quite the same thing, and (b) comes from, er, let me see now...'his lawyer' - ie, the guy who stands to make craploads of money 'making a case', win or lose.

IP law exists for two basic reasons, both in my view perfectly valid.

One, if I've invested the time, effort and money - both by investing in the name and by working my balls off to ensure that goods sold under that name are the dog's bollocks - to make 'Bobo's' a name people trust and will pay a premium for - why should you be able to capitalise on that investment by selling your goods as 'Bobo's'? Earn your own goodwill, don't parasite on mine.

Two: what if your Bobo's aren't much cop, and stories start going around (and Lord knows, stories can 'get around' these days) about how 'these Bobo's aren't all they're cracked up to be'?

In short, why should you be able to cash in on my investment, and what gives you the right to put that investment at risk?

And that applies whether 'you' are another corporation, a mom & pop store or an ex-vet. Them's the rules, and they're there for very good reasons. If you don't like 'em, don't play the game.

PS And that, being my position as clearly as I think I can state it, is where I withdraw from the fray. Disagree by all means; I'm outta here.

Lincov

Says who? I can't find anything in the original article that says any such thing. The closest is: "Richter says his lawyer thinks they have a good case to make", which (a) isn't quite the same thing, and (b) comes from, er, let me see now...'his lawyer' - ie, the guy who stands to make craploads of money 'making a case', win or lose.

PS And that, being my position as clearly as I think I can state it, is where I withdraw from the fray. Disagree by all means; I'm outta here.

I based that statement on two quotes in the article:
Richter says he has a good case to keep the store name, but is capitulating because he can’t afford a legal fight in court.
Richter says his lawyer thinks they have a good case to make, but the fight could cost upwards of $150,000 in legal fees, a price too steep for his small company.

Talk about selective quoting!

I can't be bothered to argue at length if you're "outta here", but neither of your points stand in this case. You could have a point if the shop had manufactured a mid-range road bike called Roubaix, but they haven't. No one is arguing against IP law in general, just the ethics of this particular situation.

Top Bottom