Solar panels….?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We're on 11,780 since February 2022 (15 months)
Not surprised as your installation over twice the size of ours (3.9Kw)

Buck

Guru
Well, after a complete (and long) nightmare with my last solar install order (long story not for here but ended up with company going bust and me eventually getting my deposit back!) I have now taken a big breath and placed a new order for solar and batteries.

Just waiting for the G99 approval (fast track application in) then install hopefully early July.

20 panels over 2 elevations 8.40kWp
5kWh Inverter with EPS
9.5kW battery - potential to add more if required.
Preliminary work for EV charger for whenever I get one!

Already with Octopus and spoken to them - they have confirmed I will be able to move to Flux once installed and start getting paid for excess production.

I will be adding Home Assistant to better manage charge/discharge etc. with Flux

So you can blame me if we get very cloudy days in July and the beautiful weather disappears. :becool:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have a question about roof angles and solar panels.

The front roof of this house is at an angle of approx 75 or even 80 degrees. The rear roof is about 30 degrees, from horizontal.

Neighbours with solar panels have their panels on the rear roof, even though it faces north west, approximately.

The man on the phone doing the first part of the survey (on the phone) could not understand this concept, even though his company are part of the initiative of the local council encouraging people to install solar panels.

Alex321

Guru
I have a question about roof angles and solar panels.

The front roof of this house is at an angle of approx 75 or even 80 degrees. The rear roof is about 30 degrees, from horizontal.

Neighbours with solar panels have their panels on the rear roof, even though it faces north west, approximately.

The man on the phone doing the first part of the survey (on the phone) could not understand this concept, even though his company are part of the initiative of the local council encouraging people to install solar panels.

What is your actual question?

It isn't all that uncommon to have houses with different pitch front & rear - our last house had a much shallower pitch at the rear than at the front.

The best angle for the panels is between 30 and 40 degrees, depending on just where you are in the country. And South is definitely the best direction.

There is a chart (a fair way down the page) which gives % of ideal for various angles, and for directions between East and West (through South). South at 70 degrees is still better than West at 30-40 degrees, and North or North-West will be even worse.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
What is your actual question?

It isn't all that uncommon to have houses with different pitch front & rear - our last house had a much shallower pitch at the rear than at the front.

The best angle for the panels is between 30 and 40 degrees, depending on just where you are in the country. And South is definitely the best direction.

There is a chart (a fair way down the page) which gives % of ideal for various angles, and for directions between East and West (through South). South at 70 degrees is still better than West at 30-40 degrees, and North or North-West will be even worse.

I apologise for missing out my question. Is it practical to have solar panels on a roof with a 30 degree angle facing north west?

Following your reply it seems that more accurate measurement are needed, which is definitely not possible in a phone call.

There's a web site that will calculate the likely yield from whatever direction, size and pitch of roof you have.
Let me see if I can find it.

Buck

Guru
I apologise for missing out my question. Is it practical to have solar panels on a roof with a 30 degree angle facing north west?

Following your reply it seems that more accurate measurement are needed, which is definitely not possible in a phone call.

You will still yield from a north or even north facing roof, it will just be less than a south facing one, making the return on any investment longer.

In terms of roof pitch then the ideal will change depending upon the season but c.30-35 I was told is the ideal but in winter a pitch of nearer 40 is optimal.

Buck

Guru

This is the solar calculator I mentioned before.

https://www.pvfitcalculator.energysavingtrust.org.uk/

My roof faces south west but the north east aspect would apparently get 73% of the solar benefits.

Foolishly we forgot about our kitchen roof that's also south west facing. We could possibly add panels there but I'm not sure if that's worth doing? Should have done it all in one go. Doh.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
This is the solar calculator I mentioned before.

https://www.pvfitcalculator.energysavingtrust.org.uk/

My roof faces south west but the north east aspect would apparently get 73% of the solar benefits.

Foolishly we forgot about our kitchen roof that's also south west facing. We could possibly add panels there but I'm not sure if that's worth doing? Should have done it all in one go. Doh.

Thank you for that link.

I was able to enter a few details and get some answers. The local council are subsidising about 30% of the cost of installation. I think it will be worth getting a surveyor on site, and getting more details.

Top Bottom