"Smart" phone not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
My "smart" phone has decided it is not going to send or receive calls. If I try to call it just sits there until I "end" the call, and if I try to call the phone I get "Number not available". Oddly, when I do this, my phone later sends a message saying I've "missed a call".

I know I have money in the account, and I've tried taking the card out and replacing it. I've even ordered another SIM card when it did this a month ago. Now it's doing the same. Any ideas?

Is anyone else as concerned as I am, that these highly unreliable devices are becoming apparently mandatory?

Is it a recent model? Some older smartphones will be shuffling towards obsolescence, in the UK most networks have retired or are in the process of retiring their 3G network, equally you could simply have a damaged SIM card or your local cell is malfunctioning, or your phone is failing. Also consider that a different network might provide a better service than the one you're receiving.

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Problem with that is the version of Android (other operating system are available)

I gave up an old phone a while ago inspite of it being much better for me (smaller, lighter etc) because
a) the battery life got to below one day
b) many apps would no longer work as they required a newer version
c) I was often connected to the system at the school where I worked and the security problems were worrying me (I was the IT Technician among other things)

So it was not worth getting a new battery as it was only going to get worse

FInal straw was trying to pay for parking on holiday once and I could never get the app to load and was always having to ring up and spend ages and ages waiting in a queue when I should have been wander ing around enjoying the place

Yeah. I don't use any apps though. Calls, texts and the camera work. I need nothing else.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yeah. I don't use any apps though. Calls, texts and the camera work. I need nothing else.

pretty similar , the only apps i use are 2 work apps i need , waze and chrome.
My phone is pretty basic but i dont like how most phones seem to be around 6.5 " screen as their a bit big for jersey pockets for me to feel happy about it even though i havent dropped it ....... yet.

I have started shopping around more but I refuse to have loads of "loyalty" cards in my wallet

so I have to have the apps instead

also have apps for Flightradar24, MetOffice, Windy (weather radar), WhatsApp for family stuff, BBC news, Guardian news, Google News, Strava, a car finder for parking in strange places, MyFitnessPal, Kindle, apps for the solar panels, apps for "smart devices such as the air filter and robot vacuum clearer, some security stuff and network apps, a pub quiz thingy for when we wanr to embarass ourseves at the loca lpub, Waze for satnav becasue the car one doesn;t do traffic, and a few others

Oh and Whale Track that I got when on holiday a while ago on a small boat around Mull - going back there ina few months so I'll leave it

rather a lot when I think of it most only used occaisionally

It is annoying that the version of Android will not connect to the car system as it is apparently AndroidGo - which is a chopped down version

anyway - it is OK so far but the battery only lasts one day so at some point it will have to go

Top Bottom