"Smart" phone not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Is anyone else as concerned as I am, that these highly unreliable devices are becoming apparently mandatory?
Nay, in 20 years of using mobile phones I only had a problematic one.
After several years of use, it developed a software fault.
Sounds like you have no signal.
Check the bars top right of your screen, no bars or a cross over them means no signal.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
It's unlike @Andy in Germany to leave us all waiting on what's happening

It looks like the connection is intermittent. Goodness knows why it just started playing up. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, sometimes I'll be sitting in my apartment and it will suddenly decide "Emergency calls only" which implies a SIM card problem, other times it shows no bars. RIght now it's working, but for how long?

I've ordered a new SIM card. If that doesn't work I'll change carrier. Not what I needed while changing job and apartment.

Nay, in 20 years of using mobile phones I only had a problematic one.
After several years of use, it developed a software fault.
Sounds like you have no signal.
Check the bars top right of your screen, no bars or a cross over them means no signal.

Mine have been very creative in malfunctioning. The current one refuses to accept messages within any reasonable time frame. I've spent a couple of days trying to activate a Signal account; by the time the phone registers the message containing the code, the app had long since stopped working.

Suddenly refusing to charge is a staple which killed at least three prematurely.

Randomly switching off and resetting then demanding a SIM Pin number.

Refusing to accept a SIM unlock number even though it's the one printed on the SIM.

Randomly insisting there is no SIM card installed...

I very reluctantly got my first "smart" phone five years ago and they seem to die very quickly. I didn't realise they need to be kept in one place, packed in foam.

Phones are basically a disposable item

Sad but true - from a security POV you should not really be using one once the security updates stop as then it can be hacked

and once the battery needs charging every day then it is hardly worth replacing it - especially as nowadays you can;t just slip one out and another one in

Once it start getting to be a nuisance then it is time to get a new one

Which is why I only ever get cheap Android ones - keep it for a few years and get another more up to date one

Also see if it supports calls ocer wifi, it the standard phone service is dead. Could be a useful stopgap.

How can I find this out?

Are these new phones Andy or secondhand, and how old are they?

Some were new, some 'reconditioned'. The most common problem I seem to have is that they refuse to recognise the charging plug, followed by random SIM card issues. To be fair most problems were the last year or so, but it's the reason I refused point blank to use the "digital train ticket": I'm not getting a 60 € fine and possible criminal record because my phone chooses to expire at the crucial moment.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Refusing to charge might be down to now defunct USB 'A' connector which was known to be problematic. All phones now have USB 'C' charge and data connectors which are more reliable.
Couldn't you buy on a 'contract' where you pay monthly for a phone and data bundle to spread the cost and would likely carry a guarantee?

Gwylan

Veteran
Another field where I have an opinion, not much skill and less knowledge.
I'll refrain from offering advice.
Recourse instead to my, well concealed, touchy feely side.

How does this make you feel?
I'll listen to your answer and reflect it back to you.
I shan't offer solutions, just sympathise with your frustration.
What my wife calls listening.

My skill is judging the moment to leave as you start looking for items that you might try hit me with.

Seriously good luck. We take these things for granted until the moment they stop delivering.
Bit like my wife and me.

Top Bottom