"Smart" phone not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yep, that sort of thing, but your mobile service provider also has to support and permit it. Giffgaff here in the UK don't.

One of the reasons I have always stuck with Vodaphone. Works seamlessly.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm not getting a 60 € fine and possible criminal record because my phone chooses to expire at the crucial moment
I worried about that but then realised that I often have my Android tablet with me so I keep a backup on that.

You could always print a copy of the ticket?
On my Android (Samsung) I go to settings>connections and there is a toggle option to use wi-fi calling.
My phone supports it but my carrier (giffgaff) didn't until now. They are currently switching users over. That will be good for me because of the 5-6 weeks I spend a year at reception blackspot central (Devon village).

Alex321

Guru
Mine have been very creative in malfunctioning. The current one refuses to accept messages within any reasonable time frame. I've spent a couple of days trying to activate a Signal account; by the time the phone registers the message containing the code, the app had long since stopped working.

Suddenly refusing to charge is a staple which killed at least three prematurely.

Randomly switching off and resetting then demanding a SIM Pin number.

Refusing to accept a SIM unlock number even though it's the one printed on the SIM.

Randomly insisting there is no SIM card installed...

I very reluctantly got my first "smart" phone five years ago and they seem to die very quickly. I didn't realise they need to be kept in one place, packed in foam.

What on earth are you doing to them?

They really aren't usually that fragile.

I have had my current one for just over two years, the previous one I had for 3 years, before trading it in when the contract expired, but it was still working just fine at that point - and that was after cracking the screen two days into ownership when I dropped it before I got a case for it.

I did have to replace the screen on my current one last year, but that was after coming off the bike with it facing outwards in the jersey pocket that hit the stony ground first.

Alex321

Guru
Phones are basically a disposable item

Sad but true - from a security POV you should not really be using one once the security updates stop as then it can be hacked

and once the battery needs charging every day then it is hardly worth replacing it - especially as nowadays you can;t just slip one out and another one in

Once it start getting to be a nuisance then it is time to get a new one

Which is why I only ever get cheap Android ones - keep it for a few years and get another more up to date one

Mine always need charging every day, even from new. But that is because of the way I use it - it will be on and linked to my Wahoo whenever I'm on the bike, and I spend several hour per day playing one particular game (Clash of Clans).

Tenkaykev

Guru
One of the reasons I have always stuck with Vodaphone. Works seamlessly.

Their MVNO Lebara also offer it. I took advantage of a MSE deal a couple of years ago and have 10 Gb data plus unlimited texts and calls for £6.95 a month on a rolling 30 day contract. I blanch when I think back to what I used to pay for my work mobile.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Their MVNO Lebara also offer it. I took advantage of a MSE deal a couple of years ago and have 10 Gb data plus unlimited texts and calls for £6.95 a month on a rolling 30 day contract. I blanch when I think back to what I used to pay for my work mobile.

Do they get same priority as Vodaphone customers?

We currently pay £10.80 pm for unlimited everything - not that we use huge amounts of data/calls/texts.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
What on earth are you doing to them?

They really aren't usually that fragile.

I have had my current one for just over two years, the previous one I had for 3 years, before trading it in when the contract expired, but it was still working just fine at that point - and that was after cracking the screen two days into ownership when I dropped it before I got a case for it.

I did have to replace the screen on my current one last year, but that was after coming off the bike with it facing outwards in the jersey pocket that hit the stony ground first.

Mine was over 10 years old when we ran it over with the campervan :rofl: It still works but I thought it best to replace it before I cut my finger on the broken screen.

After considering all the new ones available and not liking how big they are I found a new, old stock, version of the same model.

Mine was over 10 years old when we ran it over with the campervan :rofl: It still works but I thought it best to replace it before I cut my finger on the broken screen.

After considering all the new ones available and not liking how big they are I found a new, old stock, version of the same model.

Problem with that is the version of Android (other operating system are available)

I gave up an old phone a while ago inspite of it being much better for me (smaller, lighter etc) because
a) the battery life got to below one day
b) many apps would no longer work as they required a newer version
c) I was often connected to the system at the school where I worked and the security problems were worrying me (I was the IT Technician among other things)

So it was not worth getting a new battery as it was only going to get worse

FInal straw was trying to pay for parking on holiday once and I could never get the app to load and was always having to ring up and spend ages and ages waiting in a queue when I should have been wander ing around enjoying the place

Tenkaykev

Guru
Do they get same priority as Vodaphone customers?

We currently pay £10.80 pm for unlimited everything - not that we use huge amounts of data/calls/texts.
We've never had any issues whatsoever.
My daughter is on it too. Heres a screenshot I just took.
IMG_5986.png

Top Bottom