Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Why convert to kph, this country operates in mph, only for the fact it looks faster or further, why do we have to be conformists to mainland European standards.

Probably just an age thing for me, but I am inclined to agree Andrew. If I read that someone has ridden 30 kms the first thing I do is a quick mental conversion back to miles. Any gadgets I have always get set up with Imperial measurements and I still like stones, pounds, gallons, feet and inches, etc. No doubt if I was twenty years younger I may have been taught differently in school and may have found metric just as easy. Hard to change now though.

doctornige

That may be true but were in the beginners section, alot of people are just getting back or starting off into cycling and familiarities of mph and miles usually carries over from driving cars or motor bikes.

Good point.

Probably just an age thing for me, but I am inclined to agree Andrew. If I read that someone has ridden 30 kms the first thing I do is a quick mental conversion back to miles. Any gadgets I have always get set up with Imperial measurements and I still like stones, pounds, gallons, feet and inches, etc. No doubt if I was twenty years younger I may have been taught differently in school and may have found metric just as easy. Hard to change now though.
I can do both, makes no odd's to me, the truck I drove was limited to 85Kph or 56 mph (or rather 53.125mph, makes a big difference those extra 3mph or 4.8kph), avg temp yesterday was 48.4F or quickly 9C or more accurately 9.1C.
If you quickly want to convert F to C take off 30 and half it, the other way is double it and add 30. Its actually 5/8 th's and 8/5 th's to be exact.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Brrrr, just got frozen to the bike. :cold: Did my normal training loop but in reverse. I'll save my legs for a longer run tomorrow as it won't be so cold and windy then!

http://app.strava.com/rides/26208131

Going to have to invest in some warmer cycling gear I think. First stop: some long fingered gloves. These fingerless weightlifting ones I use have served me brilliantly but really weren't up to it today. My fingers were numb!

RWright

Guru
Imperial and Fahrenheit is the way my brain thinks.

I am getting ready to go ride in the hurricane! Normally we get the brunt of them here in NC but these last couple have been going up to the North. It is only overcast and breezy here so far so Rule 9 doesn't apply.

It is 66 F and I am going to go ride about 16 MILES. The Wind: N/NE at 10-25 mph is the part that makes me a little nervous. :ohmy:

Brrrr, just got frozen to the bike. :cold: Did my normal training loop but in reverse. I'll save my legs for a longer run tomorrow as it won't be so cold and windy then!

http://app.strava.com/rides/26208131

Going to have to invest in some warmer cycling gear I think. First stop: some long fingered gloves. These fingerless weightlifting ones I use have served me brilliantly but really weren't up to it today. My fingers were numb!

Yeah I did £90 in decathlon last weekend and got winter coat, bottoms, gloves and wind jacket....best thing I ever did, they keep me so warm!

Not bottom of the pile anymore got this p.b. on my ride today well chuffed, Western AV

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Yeah I did £90 in decathlon last weekend and got winter coat, bottoms, gloves and wind jacket....best thing I ever did, they keep me so warm!

Nice! Just got myself some Castelli gloves and DHB thermal socks so my extremities shouldn't be so frozen in future! My body wasn't too bad as my jersey and bib tights kept me fairly warm. May need to get a baselayer and thicker tights for when it gets even colder though.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Not bottom of the pile anymore got this p.b. on my ride today well chuffed, Western AV

Nice one Nigel. I myself got into the top third on a segment today despite some idiot cutting me up and making me brake half way: http://app.strava.com/rides/26208131#468804739

I'm pretty pleased with that considering strava is mostly used by hardcore cyclists and I started less than 3 months ago. I might target it another day, if I could just increase my average from 21.4 to 23.4 I would be on the front page for that segment.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Nice one Nigel. I myself got into the top third on a segment today despite some idiot cutting me up and making me brake half way: http://app.strava.com/rides/26208131#468804739

I'm pretty pleased with that considering strava is mostly used by hardcore cyclists and I started less than 3 months ago. I might target it another day, if I could just increase my average from 21.4 to 23.4 I would be on the front page for that segment.

That's a nice loop :smile: quite a few lumpy bits in it!

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

That's a nice loop :smile: quite a few lumpy bits in it!

Yep it's my favourite route. :smile: You're right it is quite lumpy, that's cause it's around the base of a hill. In fact there's not really a single flat bit. But because it's around a hill it doesn't have a massive hill in itself! One day I will cycle up the hill itself though......one day!

Nice one, and thanks. Its just a matter of putting the miles in and climbing those hills, I found that coming up that hill today I could even accelerate a little at the end, something I have never been able to do, its not much in the grand scheme of things but the first section does take it out of you, and to be fair I didn't ride so far today, had to make up the last couple of miles around the estate.
I was 24 's quicker than yesterday thats 1.1 mph faster, and that was a record, 3 of my top 4 times on that stretch have been set in the last 8 days. The first time I timed it 31/8 I was 4' 8" at 8.4mph my slowest was 4'49" at 7.3 mph on 21/9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom