Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The cold is ok, just make sure you kit up right. Core, head, face, feet and hands warm.. Legs will take care of themselves if you wrap them in good tights.

It's the wind that's the worst thing about winter, not the cold.
The wind in winter is only colder than that in the summer, its still a f*** to ride against, winter or summer, the worst thing about winter is ice, thats what will stop me going out, since my new tyre has no tread on it, and I cant afford to get another new one just yet.
Edit I just found out I got a p.b. on the last 1km up western av. Still bottom in the mens section mind, but its the first time I have done it at 10mph+ and that was after 39 miles, so whilst the rest of the ride is down on avg, I am pretty cuffed with that, got a few more p.b.'s too.
I got 5 in total though 2 dont show as p.b.'s

andsaw

The wind is a killer, i can go on my usual and do on average 17.1 mph @ 1hr 3min against it and 18.4 mph @ 59 min for 18.45 miles when there's no wind or its with me, what do you put on your face to keep that warm, not one of those spider man thingys that motor cyclists have, id love to know. I went out today a bit cold in them Aldi winter tights with the padding taken out, in the wrong position, too far forward and pretty useless, but otherwise ok could do with a winter jacket, only using a long sleeved t-shirt and the Aldi cycling top on sale not long ago, brrrr.

The wind is a killer, i can go on my usual and do on average 17.1 mph @ 1hr 3min against it and 18.4 mph @ 59 min for 18.45 miles when there's no wind or its with me, what do you put on your face to keep that warm, not one of those spider man thingys that motor cyclists have, id love to know. I went out today a bit cold in them Aldi winter tights with the padding taken out, in the wrong position, too far forward and pretty useless, but otherwise ok could do with a winter jacket, only using a long sleeved t-shirt and the Aldi cycling top on sale not long ago, brrrr.
I found it ok today, bit nippy on the ears sometimes, but then I wasnt usually travelling that fast, and when I did warm up my ears helped keep me cool. Long sleeved cycling shirt and base layer, base underwear and Aldi winter leggings. The length of my hair these days helps with keeping my head warm (disadvantage in the summer though).

andsaw

I found it ok today, bit nippy on the ears sometimes, but then I wasnt usually travelling that fast, and when I did warm up my ears helped keep me cool. Long sleeved cycling shirt and base layer, base underwear and Aldi winter leggings. The length of my hair these days helps with keeping my head warm (disadvantage in the summer though).
How do you find them leggings, does the padding agree with you or not i got numb bum with them being to far forward so the back ends up between my legs that's why i took it out, wish i had hair the cold intensifies through the holes in me helmet, will have to get one of those skull cap thingys.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

The N+1 urge has really started to take hold of me in the past week or so. :whistle: With the nights drawing in and the clocks about to go back, I'm thinking of getting a hybrid so that I can nip out for quick rides before it gets dark on the occasions I get home from work before it goes dark. Plus I have always fancied a hybrid just as a bit of a runabout. A bike I can just step onto without the hassle of getting into my bib tights and cycling gear. I could also fit a lot of lights to it and not bother about having to take those off when it wasn't dark.

I have been doing a bit of research though and hybrids seem pretty heavy. Even Decathlon's most expensive model (£250) is 14kg. Boardman do a nice 10kg hybrid but it's £500. It does look very pretty though......damn this cycling lark is not cheap. :laugh: But then again, if I don't upgrade my car as a result of my cycling addiction, it's peanuts compared.

DaveyM

Über Member
The N+1 urge has really started to take hold of me in the past week or so. :whistle: With the nights drawing in and the clocks about to go back, I'm thinking of getting a hybrid so that I can nip out for quick rides before it gets dark on the occasions I get home from work before it goes dark. Plus I have always fancied a hybrid just as a bit of a runabout. A bike I can just step onto without the hassle of getting into my bib tights and cycling gear. I could also fit a lot of lights to it and not bother about having to take those off when it wasn't dark.

I have been doing a bit of research though and hybrids seem pretty heavy. Even Decathlon's most expensive model (£250) is 14kg. Boardman do a nice 10kg hybrid but it's £500. It does look very pretty though......damn this cycling lark is not cheap. :laugh: But then again, if I don't upgrade my car as a result of my cycling addiction, it's peanuts compared.

My mate collected one of these today, had a go on it and it is pretty good

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/pro...-12?bct=browse/bicycles/commuter-hybrid-bikes

Don't know if there is an Edingburgh bike coop near you.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

My mate collected one of these today, had a go on it and it is pretty good

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-courier-race-disc-12?bct=browse/bicycles/commuter-hybrid-bikes

Don't know if there is an Edingburgh bike coop near you.

That looks pretty good. It's a bit heavier than the Boardman but it's a cheaper and they do a 22" version whereas it seems the max of the Boardman is 21". I'm not sure how hybrid sizing compares to road bikes but they seem a little on the small size. I am 6'2" and I still have a 21.5" MTB which I got when I was a kid. When I dug it out of the garage a couple of months ago, it felt small to me. My 60cm Triban 3 (which is 23.6 inches) fits me a lot better.

Unfortunately though their nearest store is Sheffield which is about a 5 hour round trip. So it's a hell of a drive unless they deliver!

Sillysimon10

Like i said last night Brian...I enjoy every ride I get to do, I work 12-13 hours and get a day off in a week...This is why I need to get into night riding. Purely off my inconveniences....
Just keep your chin up, dont compare to anyone, your limits are your own...
If you feel youve done well, youve done well!!
We're here for support, and advice not to boast or gloat, well, thats my opinion anyway everyone seems very supportive!!...Just keep those legs moving when you can!! You'll see your own progress soon enough!!

doctornige

Can we please convert this into kilometres for true Velominati?

How do you find them leggings, does the padding agree with you or not i got numb bum with them being to far forward so the back ends up between my legs that's why i took it out, wish i had hair the cold intensifies through the holes in me helmet, will have to get one of those skull cap thingys.
Took mine out too, I was going to reposition it, but finding I am ok with either shorts or the base underwear beneath, I guess I am getting used to the saddle.

Can we please convert this into kilometres for true Velominati?
Convert it to Roman numerals if you want. Just multiply by 1.6 if you want a French measurement.
I forgot the spreadsheet does that to, (though not the roman numerals)
km.JPG

I haven't done elevation in meters, buts easy enough.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Agreed, I have no desire to own a hybrid but that Boardman turned my head.

Yep they are gorgeous bikes. I was sorely tempted to buy the road bike version when I first started but I decided to go for the Triban since I didn't know whether I would get into cycling or not. Someone on here is selling one which looks even better with the wheels he's added: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a-very-nice-boardman-comp-2012-size-large.116315/

I think I will try and resist though as my Triban is a great bike and I know that inevitably I will end up with a full carbon Pinarello or Bianchi when I get fit enough to be able to get up a proper hill without being knackered at the top!

Although if people saw how dirty my Triban is, they would probably say I shouldn't be allowed nice things. :blush::sad:

doctornige

Why convert to kph, this country operates in mph, only for the fact it looks faster or further, why do we have to be conformists to mainland European standards.

Heh. That's not the problem for me. I think about cycling in kph and km because that is how it is described on Tour coverage, and it's the method by which all the great monuments of cycling are measured (Pro Tour stages, Mont Ventoux etc.). Also, if you flip a cycling computer over to imperial, you can end up with irritating stuff like pounds and Fahrenheit. So, now, I think about driving a car in miles and mph, but riding a bike in km and kph.

For me, it's not about conforming. It's more to do with being able to make easy comparisons.

Horse for courses.

andsaw

Heh. That's not the problem for me. I think about cycling in kph and km because that is how it is described on Tour coverage, and it's the method by which all the great monuments of cycling are measured (Pro Tour stages, Mont Ventoux etc.). Also, if you flip a cycling computer over to imperial, you can end up with irritating stuff like pounds and Fahrenheit. So, now, I think about driving a car in miles and mph, but riding a bike in km and kph.

For me, it's not about conforming. It's more to do with being able to make easy comparisons.

Horse for courses.
That may be true but were in the beginners section, alot of people are just getting back or starting off into cycling and familiarities of mph and miles usually carries over from driving cars or motor bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom