Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[quote="Nigelnaturist, post: 2116728,
It depends how far from Swadlincote you are Chris, looking at a topographical map of the area it looks similar to where I live, I also seem to remember a few steepish hills there.[/quote]

I live pretty much in Swadlincote itself, there are a few steepish hills around but mainly in Burton or, going the other way, between Ashby and Coalville. Cheers for the info I may look into that!

JohnMc

Regular
Average about 35 miles each run but have done a few over 50. All done on a hybrid within the last year. Best run was 34 miles average speed 18mph, but that was a calm day on a flat route.

JohnMc

Regular
Now that's impressive! :becool:
it was hard work, but was chuffed to get the 18mph average, previous best was 17.3mph

Now I just need to get to work on some hills and I'll be ready for my first sportive once the weather clears after winter.
I have my hybrid set up on a turbo trainer now and a few sufferfest vid's have been purchased to help me continue to gain fitness. Have lost 2 1/2 stone since April and am looking at approx 1/2 stone more to reach the target weight which I intend to maintain.

it was hard work, but was chuffed to get the 18mph average, previous best was 17.3mph

Now I just need to get to work on some hills and I'll be ready for my first sportive once the weather clears after winter.
I have my hybrid set up on a turbo trainer now and a few sufferfest vid's have been purchased to help me continue to gain fitness. Have lost 2 1/2 stone since April and am looking at approx 1/2 stone more to reach the target weight which I intend to maintain.

That's fantastic! I'd kill to be able to average 17+ on my hybrid! I'm hoping to be outdoors as much as I can over winter to prepare myself for some audaxes next year. Then, as my fitness improves (and bf% drops) I may look to participate in a sportive.

Congratulations on your weight loss as well, I managed to lose a stone earlier in the year through a combination of kettlebells and walking over winter (I didn't need to lose a massive amount anyway) Sadly the excesses of my Vegas trip last month and stupidly long working hours meant I regained half of it, back to the grind......

JohnMc

Regular
That's fantastic! I'd kill to be able to average 17+ on my hybrid! I'm hoping to be outdoors as much as I can over winter to prepare myself for some audaxes next year. Then, as my fitness improves (and bf% drops) I may look to participate in a sportive.

Congratulations on your weight loss as well, I managed to lose a stone earlier in the year through a combination of kettlebells and walking over winter (I didn't need to lose a massive amount anyway) Sadly the excesses of my Vegas trip last month and stupidly long working hours meant I regained half of it, back to the grind......

The hybrid is a Cannondale Bad Boy which is quite an aggressive ride for a hybrid and I have it set up so my arse is pointing to the sky and my head is looking back through my legs :eek:.

Well done best I ever managed was 16.1 over 31 miles but there was only 25f per mile climbing, my last few rides have been nearer to 13.5 but twice the climb rate.
Oh I dunno, if I did a 36 miler I couldn't maintain 14+......not at my current level! That's pretty good going!

Today I adopted a slightly more hilly (not so much steep as long) with emphasis on lower gears and higher cadence maintaining 70+ rpm on each climb- it paid off!
Thanks.
My avg cadence over my last 7 rides has been 77 I had been averaging low 80's but the hills are steeper, but I think my avg speed is going back up a little, the last 14 miles I did on Wed I did at just over 15mph. with 633ft of climb.
I hope to do 40 miles Fri (well 35 as I have to ride 5 mile to the hospital, for an appointment) but for the whole distance hills included using this as a formula (distance x ft climbed per mile x avg sp)/1000 assuming my avg sp to be 13.4 like Wed it will be one of my most difficult rides this year.

RWright

Guru
Some nice progress for all of you. I decided I am not going to press for better times for a while but I am going to up my normal daily route from 10 miles to 16 miles with a little more elevation change. I will still time myself and log it but i am just going to relax a little more, listen to a little music and not watch the clock as much for a bit. I think this will still help my speed in the long run.

Reece

Veteran

Great job on the avg speed and also nice one on the weight loss.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
You guys that are trying to bring up your speed and cadences, are you running clipless? If not it'll make a huge difference to your efficiency and rhythm (once good technique is learned)

Gaz Vickers

After making huge progress last Sunday - I feel i have wasted it by not having anytime to go out since!
Quite annoying really. I'm not even going to get much time this weekend! :angry:

You guys that are trying to bring up your speed and cadences, are you running clipless? If not it'll make a huge difference to your efficiency and rhythm (once good technique is learned)
I have clips.
After making huge progress last Sunday - I feel i have wasted it by not having anytime to go out since!
Quite annoying really. I'm not even going to get much time this weekend! :angry:
No you wont have I took nearly two weeks off end sept and I found hills were a litter better, still only 13-14 mph avg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom