Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You do all those miles on flats. The reason I changed was I was feed up slipping even in clips.
Yep, every one has been done on flats. I use DMR V8s on the hybrid and V12s on the road bike - recommended to me by Mo. I then wear a pair of waterproof walking shoes (look like trainers), feet have never slipped yet.

boybiker

Guru
I completed the 100k sportive I came home in a respectable 13th BUT not everyone set off at the same time so I will have to wait and see what my true placing is when they put the times/places online :thumbsup:.The main "club group" was going at 17 MPH (ish) and I fell off the back of them so it was a sole effort for over half of it! Some of the boys pushing 17 MPH weren't even peddling and I was pushing a big gear just to keep up!! Although some of them had madones etc costing £4k+ so was happy to be just under 1 mph off their pace! I think it's time for new tyres and lighter wheels :tongue:. Joking aside I think if I had some more "racey" type tyres I would have been able to keep up so its something to get before doing another one. The main thing was the weather was brilliant and I had good fun doing it :thumbsup:.

I also made it over the 50% mark for April's challenge which is what I was aiming for ^_^.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yeah! Just like riding a bike, you don't forget. The only difference this time is the float, I think my last ones had none at all, these have 6 deg and feel a bit to loose. Just fitted them to the T3 so she's ready for a ride out.

I have SH56 Cleats and they are on the lowest setting. If I concentrate on the cleat/pedal interface whilst riding I can feel some slight clonking about. I hardly ever really ever notice though and on the odd occasion I do it doesn't bother me.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I completed the 100k sportive I came home in a respectable 13th BUT not everyone set off at the same time so I will have to wait and see what my true placing is when they put the times/places online :thumbsup:.The main "club group" was going at 17 MPH (ish) and I fell off the back of them so it was a sole effort for over half of it! Some of the boys pushing 17 MPH weren't even peddling and I was pushing a big gear just to keep up!! Although some of them had madones etc costing £4k+ so was happy to be just under 1 mph off their pace! I think it's time for new tyres and lighter wheels :tongue:. Joking aside I think if I had some more "racey" type tyres I would have been able to keep up so its something to get before doing another one. The main thing was the weather was brilliant and I had good fun doing it :thumbsup:.

I also made it over the 50% mark for April's challenge which is what I was aiming for ^_^.

Good effort - well done to you.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Well just weighed my camera kit, and it is more than half the weight of the bike at 7kg's. Perhaps you see why I don't carry it much, at least until now, just was never fit enough.

I know you menioned a G series Canon, but what about something truly portable which shoots raw which will give almost identical result sin most situations, like the S110? Brilliant camera, and a f/1.8 lens.

spooks

Realised how far I've come today. I took my best friend out for a ride on the new forest. It was only 14 miles and done at an embarassingly slow pace of 6mph and she was exhausted and walking every slight incline whereas for me it was like a stroll round the park and the "big hills" were just tiny slopes that needed hardly any effort from me. She has vowed never to agree to another bike ride with me again. Oops. I didn't think 14 miles would be that bad as long as we went slow. :sad:

Realised how far I've come today. I took my best friend out for a ride on the new forest. It was only 14 miles and done at an embarassingly slow pace of 6mph and she was exhausted and walking every slight incline whereas for me it was like a stroll round the park and the "big hills" were just tiny slopes that needed hardly any effort from me. She has vowed never to agree to another bike ride with me again. Oops. I didn't think 14 miles would be that bad as long as we went slow. :sad:
Hopefully she will realise how good it was and want to do it again soon.

spooks

Pretty sure she wont unfortunately. She says she will never ever buy a bike and that next time I can go on my own and she will read a book.

Pretty sure she wont unfortunately. She says she will never ever buy a bike and that next time I can go on my own and she will read a book.
thats a shame.

spooks

Its the same whenever we do any sort of physical activity together but each year I do manage to drag her outside for some form of exercise. By the next year she's usually forgotten about not doing it ever again and agrees to another go. Can't wait to get back on my road bike though. Hired mountain bikes with bouncy suspension are comfy but far too slow.

boybiker

Guru

Its funny how far and fast you come on with lots of ridding. There are roads around here I use to consider hills now they are just small inclines which I fly up without thinking about it. :laugh:

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Its funny how far and fast you come on with lots of ridding. There are roads around here I use to consider hills now they are just small inclines which I fly up without thinking about it. :laugh:

I went on a route I've not done for about 9 months the other day and said to lovely hubby when I got in "remember that massive hard-work hill near Quarrington? Well, it's not really a hill!' Just goes to show how I have progressed even though sometimes I can't remember to give myself the pat-on-the-back :smile:

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Hope you are ok.
Was that before or after your Bikefit?

It was after, but, to be fair, I've fallen off before the fit too. I was actually stationary, had my left unclipped and was leaning to the left, but could NOT get my right foot out, and the action of frantically twisting it, knocked me off balance and over I went! The group i was riding with were lovely though, someone gave me a tissue to mop up the blood, and somebody else gave me a plaster. Most said that they'd also had clipless moments! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom