Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Another week of riding. Now up to 280 miles in 4 weeks. Had my first big crash to a bit bruised but I'll get over it.

The biggest news is that I've ordered my new road bike so as long as the test ride goes well, I'll be off the mountain bike and on a shiny BMC streetracer next weekend :smile:
Just had a big (for me) weekend. In-laws were looking after daughter whilst me and the wife went into Cambridge (aka land where I nearly had a melt down because nearly every cyclist did something wrong).
They live near Peterborough and we live just outside Northampton. Wife and Daughter went in the car and I biked it.
36 miles there on Saturday (with a hangover as wife went friday night so my mate took me to the pub).
36 miles back Sunday (with hardly any sleep as little one was ill during the night) which was mostly into a strong wind :sad:
Great fun though and my legs aren't feeling it too much today.

Hey, well done both of you! :bravo:

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

So until today I had done 25ish miles quite a few times but only broken the 30 mile barrier once (34 miles). Today I equalled that but on a more difficult route. I would have gone further were it not for the 18mph headwind which followed me around on the entire ride. :cursing: I remember there was a 10mph wind the day I first did 34 miles but today just feels like I have done about twice that distance. Hopefully come the weekend when I next get a chance for a long run, I'll be able to break the 40 mile barrier.

I was determined not to let that bloody wind bring down my average speed and in fact I improved to 15mph this time:

http://app.strava.com/rides/25200065

Reece

Veteran
So until today I had done 25ish miles quite a few times but only broken the 30 mile barrier once (34 miles). Today I equalled that but on a more difficult route. I would have gone further were it not for the 18mph headwind which followed me around on the entire ride. :cursing: I remember there was a 10mph wind the day I first did 34 miles but today just feels like I have done about twice that distance. Hopefully come the weekend when I next get a chance for a long run, I'll be able to break the 40 mile barrier.

I was determined not to let that bloody wind bring down my average speed and in fact I improved to 15mph this time:

http://app.strava.com/rides/25200065
Nice one Typhoon. Glad you didn't let the headwind bring you down.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Thanks a lot :smile:

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Another week of riding. Now up to 280 miles in 4 weeks. Had my first big crash to a bit bruised but I'll get over it.

The biggest news is that I've ordered my new road bike so as long as the test ride goes well, I'll be off the mountain bike and on a shiny BMC streetracer next weekend :smile:

Changed my mind on the BMC and went for a Specialized Roubaix. Picking it up on Friday. Can't wait :smile:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Quite pleased with myself. Not been out quite so much due to horrible weather here. Usually like going first thing in the morning but it cleared up and ended up a lovely afternoon so decided to have a quick hour before tea and ended up with a new pb on one of my regular routes. Finally hit 14mph. Not fast compared to some on here but for a 53 year old female only cycling regularly since end of August I am quite chuffed.

Part of the reason for a better time was probably due to the difference in going out first thing in the morning without anything to eat and when it is cold both for muscles and breathing in cold air. Compare that with a pleasantly warm afternoon where the muscles are already warm and I had eaten so muscles would have been fuelled I suppose.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my small progress.

http://app.strava.com/activities/25382481

Reece

Veteran
Quite pleased with myself. Not been out quite so much due to horrible weather here. Usually like going first thing in the morning but it cleared up and ended up a lovely afternoon so decided to have a quick hour before tea and ended up with a new pb on one of my regular routes. Finally hit 14mph. Not fast compared to some on here but for a 53 year old female only cycling regularly since end of August I am quite chuffed.

Part of the reason for a better time was probably due to the difference in going out first thing in the morning without anything to eat and when it is cold both for muscles and breathing in cold air. Compare that with a pleasantly warm afternoon where the muscles are already warm and I had eaten so muscles would have been fuelled I suppose.

Nice one on the ride and PB

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Changed my mind on the BMC and went for a Specialized Roubaix. Picking it up on Friday. Can't wait :smile:

Nice bike!

14 mph is brilliant Mo, especially as you only started regularly a couple of months ago. Well done!

I also find it's easier in the afternoon as I've had chance to have lunch and get some decent carbs into my system before I go out.

Nosaj

i've been cycling properly for 4 months, and did a 42 miles ride today to get to know my new road bike, on the coast (making up around 38 miles of the ride) i was riding between 15.5 and 19.0mph, is this any good? good enough to start races? my most common speed was 16.5mph i'd guess, maybe 16.0

It is probably not quick enough to win a Cat 4 race the few that I have done I have been blatting along on the flat at about 27mph (that is a lot easier in a group holding someones wheel than doing it on your own) but as long as you have a bit of common sense and are Ok riding in close proximity to other riders in a group then why not start racing it will up your average speed no end

There are other types of racing apart from bunch stuff Time trials are very common and as long as you can ride 10 miles which you can, give a local club a call, get yourself along and join in. I;m quite slow my best average was 23mph for a ten and that would put me in the middle of my club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom