Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA

I hadn't ridden since Tuesday, since I was feeling too ill. However yesterday ventured out with my 7 year old girl and 5 year old boy, and next door, with their 2 young ones, and went along the old railway track. We went at lightning pace !

6.7 miles in 1:15 mins.....hahaha but we all enjoyed it, had to get the 5 year old collected by the wife after 1 mile, his little legs had totally given up, even with me giving I'm a push as we rode.....

But the rest of us carried on, and we all enjoyed it.

I just need to get back into it now, if I can risk it....I'm recovering from my cold, but today, and all next week is so cold again....and wet at times.....I wish the wether would improve and fast !

Goldcoast

Typical, first nice day in two weeks and I only had a spare 30 minutes. Really didn't want to waste it (stupid weather, stupid virus) meant this would be only my second ride.

I didn't have much time so just decided to do some laps, managed 6 miles but very stop/start

https://www.strava.com/rides/44912110

I'm really tempted to rearrange a conference call I have later so that I can get out again :smile:

IanA

Went to a decathlon this morning and bought a few goodies !

A pair of Shimano SPD. PD-M520 mountsin bike cleats, reason for the MBK type was their double sided mechanism.

and a pair of Shimano R064 shoes....

So burning question, if, weather permitting, I get out the next few days, how many times do I fall off because I fail to de-clip quick enough ? ?

Also, I see this Strava tracker used. Does this app work by tracking you via the iPhone or galaxy etc, then you just down load the data ? ? if so, then I need to bin the blackberry and get an iPhone or galaxy thingy !

cheers

Ian

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Also, I see this Strava tracker used. Does this app work by tracking you via the iPhone or galaxy etc, then you just down load the data ? ? if so, then I need to bin the blackberry and get an iPhone or galaxy thingy !

cheers

Ian
If you're happy enough with the phone you have, you would be cheaper getting a Garmin Edge 200. No fancy maps or anything but enough to log and compare all your rides on Strava.

If you're happy enough with the phone you have, you would be cheaper getting a Garmin Edge 200. No fancy maps or anything but enough to log and compare all your rides on Strava.
it will also follow a preplanned route, not sure about turn info like on the 500.
Went to a decathlon this morning and bought a few goodies !

A pair of Shimano SPD. PD-M520 mountsin bike cleats, reason for the MBK type was their double sided mechanism.

and a pair of Shimano R064 shoes....

So burning question, if, weather permitting, I get out the next few days, how many times do I fall off because I fail to de-clip quick enough ? ?

Ian
As many times as you want, dont think that way though, I started with clipless two weeks ago, I haven't yet, never did with clips either, IMO theres not much between them when your stopping, though I am finding it better to clip in, though not fully sussed that due to not being out much last week.

IanA

Just hope blind nuts in the shoe are anchored well ! As I fitted he cleats i couldn't help thinking that my powerful 'chicken legs' might rip the cleat from the shoe .....haha

Reece

Veteran
Well now the evenings are staying lighter longer I was planning to get out after work. Need to get miles in the legs throughout the week not just weekends.

Unfortunately plan failed. Car I was working on had a few issues on a software upgrade which ended up causing me to finish work an hour later thus missing the daylight. Oh well there's always tomorrow.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Well now the evenings are staying lighter longer I was planning to get out after work. Need to get miles in the legs throughout the week not just weekends.

Unfortunately plan failed. Car I was working on had a few issues on a software upgrade which ended up causing me to finish work an hour later thus missing the daylight. Oh well there's always tomorrow.

That's a shame, roads are quite dry now. This morning was fun, had to keep stopping to de-ice my glasses

Reece

Veteran
That's a shame, roads are quite dry now. This morning was fun, had to keep stopping to de-ice my glasses
Roads and weather were quite good on my way home too. I'm planning on riding bede park to glen parva on the GCW the to the quiet back roads of blaby and back along the GCW to bede park. May even cross paths with you if you ride that way on your way home.

Boon 51

Veteran
Excellent! Was it a bit painful towards the end or could you have gone any further? My, erm, saddle area would really suffer I think!

It was a bit paiful but not the way you would imagine..

I had just about10km of my ride to go and my nose was streaming, so I stopped by the road side with my feet still clipped in and me and the bike leaning on a crash barrier, as I was reaching into my back pocket for some tissues to blow my nose my hand got stuck and then I got cramp in my hand while still in the back pocket all at the same time.
It seemed like forever to get my hand out and it was really sore, so I unclipped and as I stood there one of my legs got cramp as well..
After a few minutes the cramp lessened and I got back on the bike and rode home but it was all very sore..
The last bit seemed to take forever..

But yes I could have gone futher had that not happened and I have just got myself a new saddle which never let me down... I'm just tired really..

Looking forward to the next ride.. :thumbsup:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Roads and weather were quite good on my way home too. I'm planning on riding bede park to glen parva on the GCW the to the quiet back roads of blaby and back along the GCW to bede park. May even cross paths with you if you ride that way on your way home.

I'm on it everyday so likely. I'm the big bloke on the black hybrid, normally have a yellow jacket and rucksack with yellow pack cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom