Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reece

Veteran
How did you get on Reece?
I got on ok, bit peed off the epic was cancelled, but in a way pleased. 80miles of that wind may have been called torture lol! I enjoyed it though and happy to get the change of scenery to ride in.

At times I was riding leaning into the side winds to counteract it but still being blown a few feet across the road. My jacket also caught the wind, inflated itself and acted as a kite lol! Some scary moments but finished.

Here's the ride info on Strava; http://app.strava.com/activities/44611959

I'm pleased with the avg speed and time it took me to ride considering the wind. We all felt the route could of been a real fast pace if there had been better weather conditions.

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
I got on ok, bit peed off the epic was cancelled, but in a way pleased. 80miles of that wind may have been called torture lol! I enjoyed it though and happy to get the change of scenery to ride in.

At times I was riding leaning into the side winds to counteract it but still being blown a few feet across the road. My jacket also caught the wind, inflated itself and acted as a kite lol! Some scary moments but finished.

Here's the ride info on Strava; http://app.strava.com/activities/44611959

I'm pleased with the avg speed and time it took me to ride considering the wind. We all felt the route could of been a real fast pace if there had been better weather conditions.

Well done. The wind got me a few times too, that and those flipping puddles! I felt like a real beginner at times, but pleased to finish. You were probably one of the hundreds who passed me, so hope I didn't wobble while you were overtaking

I'm pleased I didn't have to stop on any of the hills, but it was touch and go at one point when the wind was blowing me backwards and I was in my lowest gear nearly standing still!

Back home now, had my bath and may have to do a little napping!

Reece

Veteran
Well done. The wind got me a few times too, that and those flipping puddles! I felt like a real beginner at times, but pleased to finish. You were probably one of the hundreds who passed me, so hope I didn't wobble while you were overtaking

I'm pleased I didn't have to stop on any of the hills, but it was touch and go at one point when the wind was blowing me backwards and I was in my lowest gear nearly standing still!

Back home now, had my bath and may have to do a little napping!
Well done for getting out there and doing it. What time did you start? I started about 8.15am, passed a few people but also some of the later starters also passed me lol. Some fast people out there.

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Well done for getting out there and doing it. What time did you start? I started about 8.15am, passed a few people but also some of the later starters also passed me lol. Some fast people out there.

Maybe about the same time, I'm not sure. Hubby was called out and had to go to work so I just joined the queue and set off. Ordinarily I would have used MapMyRide, but it drains the battery and I had to leave my phone with some life in it to sort out getting home at the end. Every time I saw somebody in my rear view mirror I celebrated the fact that I wasn't last! :-). Took me about 3 hrs 20 mins but I'm not certain as I pressed the wrong button on my computer at the finish. Doh! One day I'll get everything right x

Reece

Veteran
Maybe about the same time, I'm not sure. Hubby was called out and had to go to work so I just joined the queue and set off. Ordinarily I would have used MapMyRide, but it drains the battery and I had to leave my phone with some life in it to sort out getting home at the end. Every time I saw somebody in my rear view mirror I celebrated the fact that I wasn't last! :-). Took me about 3 hrs 20 mins but I'm not certain as I pressed the wrong button on my computer at the finish. Doh! One day I'll get everything right x
A respectable time.

I think some people were doing the route again as a lot of people were leaving out to ride when we got back, unless they rode to the event?

Leescfc79

Über Member
Well just got back, did it in 3hrs 10 mins. As others have said terrible conditions and the wind made it really tough and scary at the same time. Well organised and a good sense of achievement for getting out and doing it though so was worth it.

Will upload ride later, I'm having a bath then going the pub!!

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Well I bloody jinxed myself with that post about the weather didn't I? :banghead:5 miles in and the heavens opened. Took shelter on a bench under some trees outside a church but it showed no signs of letting up so I just headed home. Feet and hands were so numb when I got back that I couldn't undo the release for the ratchet on my shoes!

I remember the last time I sat on that bench, it was when I first started in August and I used to use it for a breather. I remember it being sunny and warm every time. Roll on summer!

http://app.strava.com/activities/44617024

Managed to get out for 29 miles, set 11 p.b's and 4 2nd's. most in the later half due to a slight tailwind (who says you cant plan a ride for it to help) well done those that have been out especially in the weather I have been reading about, it was quite pleasant here in comparison.
http://app.strava.com/activities/44624528
So far this month it's my fastest avg @ 14.23mph 0.7 quicker than last month and my fastest since Aug but with an extra 18.62ft/mile climb rate. avg grade in Aug was 0.6% this month 0.94% and an increase in gear length from 57.4 in" to 63.53".

AndyPeace

Well, that's the challenge completed and I think I will probably ease back for a bit. Weather is actually supposed to break down again this week anyway so good excuse. Last of the wintery flurries of snow to come then hopefully we will be shot of it and get some spring weather.

Good luck to all who have long rides, sportives, audaxes, etc planned for today.

Well Done! Still not there myself, but am only a hair away from completing it.

SWSteve

Guru
Well I'm on my way home now. Finished the 40miles in around 2hr30. Wind was horrendous and at times I was being blown across the road with barely any control of the bike. Scary moments indeed.

Annoyed with all this bad weather, is it always like this?

Like many people my plans got cancelled meaning I was only able to get in a cheeky hour to try and avoid the rain as I was in shorts/base layer and tee. I cannot wait until it's consistently dry and warm...then again I might need to move abroad to get that.

http://app.strava.com/activities/44619484

SWSteve

Guru
Not always. But the 2 planned rides (today's sportive and club audax in feb) have both been terrible weather. Just Sod's law.

I'm glad I got out and planning on riding the club early plus some extra miles tomorrow morning.

Fair enough, the forecast for tomorrow has brightened up. When I say brightened up what I mean is it looks like it might not rain! Great sports day planned, will be trying to get some good miles in

SWSteve

Guru
Progress made.

Went out in the drizzle on streaming wet roads. Managed 14.23m / 1h 7m 34s / 12.63mph average.

Quite chuffed I actually went out in the grotty weather.

Hope you all had a good time today - some impressive stuff going on in previous posts!

great going getting out in the poor weather, did you enjoy it? I still feel great provided it hasn't been chucking it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom