Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA

Not done much exercise since been 18' now 43 ! Bought Triban 3 on Tuesday

first ride, round the block,flat, uphill, downhill, then uphill back home, maybe 3 miles...nearly killed me !
Wednesday, cycled parents house, uphill climb, failed got off and walked for a minute or two, before gritting my teeth and carrying on, 6 miles....felt reasonable .
Thursday, old railway line, 8 miles mainly flat with final uphill climb, had to stop half way for liquid and breather, then carried on in bottom gear.
today...did 10.5 miles on undulating road, then long slow climb into kidsgrove, before final steep climb home, same hill vdidn't beat me, but my god did my legs and lungs burn !

Enjoyed every day non the less, and I want to get better, target is to be able to turn in a reasonable ime in a 10 mile TT .... that's a long way off...not sure how to get there training wise...Think I will join the Kidsgrove Wheelers, only concern is that I'm too slow, today's ride took 50 mins ! haha

Ian

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

first ride, round the block,flat, uphill, downhill, then uphill back home, maybe 3 miles...nearly killed me !
Wednesday, cycled parents house, uphill climb, failed got off and walked for a minute or two, before gritting my teeth and carrying on, 6 miles....felt reasonable .
Thursday, old railway line, 8 miles mainly flat with final uphill climb, had to stop half way for liquid and breather, then carried on in bottom gear.
today...did 10.5 miles on undulating road, then long slow climb into kidsgrove, before final steep climb home, same hill vdidn't beat me, but my god did my legs and lungs burn !

Enjoyed every day non the less, and I want to get better, target is to be able to turn in a reasonable ime in a 10 mile TT .... that's a long way off...not sure how to get there training wise...Think I will join the Kidsgrove Wheelers, only concern is that I'm too slow, today's ride took 50 mins ! haha

Ian

Keep plugging away and you will be amazed at how quickly you develop.

IanA

how much training is too much ?

I read about over doing it, and as I've personally pushed hard for the last 4 days and now my legs feel dead, as does my ass from the seat, then I start to think, do I push harder every day, or do I spin.....

I really have no idea !

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
how much training is too much ?

I read about over doing it, and as I've personally pushed hard for the last 4 days and now my legs fell dead, as does my ass from the seat, then I start to think, do I push harder every day, or do I spin.....

I really have no idea !
Everyone is different, when your legs and arse ache have a day off.

Ian
Ditto the previous comments, already improving, but it's important to have days off too.

is there a training thread ? For absolute beginners ?
You dont really need, just do what you can for at least a few weeks (some will say a few months), then you will have an idea where you want to go with it.

IanA

One problem I have is working away from home for 6 days....and no , can't take the bike with me. Any tips for gym work to benefit.... Guess training bikes will be obvious, but I hate those things, go no where see nothing and no breeze to cool you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom