Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
First time I have given up on a ride, didn't think it was that cold till I got out there and turned into the wind. Ouch. Wouldn't be surprised if it snowed today.
Like all of you I can't wait for the warmer weather and longer days.

Snow is forecast for the midlands over the weekend. Temperature between now and Monday isn't going to get above 3c, factor in the wind chill and we are probably looking at below zero. Had my winter gloves and thickest socks back on for this mornings ride into work.

I felt a bit of a wimp for turning back, but the blast of cold air when I turned into the wind took my breath away. I arrived home frozen and had only done about 2 miles !

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I felt a bit of a wimp for turning back, but the blast of cold air when I turned into the wind took my breath away. I arrived home frozen and had only done about 2 miles !

No shame in turning back when it gets so bad. I kept going in it yesterday morning and was miserable with my hands being so cold and numb, and then when the feeling came back when I got indoors it was agony.

Long term forecast for us at the moment is bright during the day but bitterly cold. I've ordered yet more gloves to try!

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

No shame in turning back when it gets so bad. I kept going in it yesterday morning and was miserable with my hands being so cold and numb, and then when the feeling came back when I got indoors it was agony.

Long term forecast for us at the moment is bright during the day but bitterly cold. I've ordered yet more gloves to try!

I'm thinking of getting some new gloves too. The only ones I have are thin castelli gloves which are great for when it's about 6- 12C but my fingers go numb when it's close to freezing. I did look at Sealskinz but they were about 50 quid so I've been trying to get through the winter without buying a pair. Plus they look really bulky.

Chain reaction seem to have quite a few pairs with a heavy discount right now. The campagnolo ones look really nice and pretty good quality for 24 quid (discounted from 60).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=1544&SortBy=DiscountDESC

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm thinking of getting some new gloves too. The only ones I have are thin castelli gloves which are great for when it's about 6- 12C but my fingers go numb when it's close to freezing. I did look at Sealskinz but they were about 50 quid so I've been trying to get through the winter without buying a pair. Plus they look really bulky.

Chain reaction seem to have quite a few pairs with a heavy discount right now. The campagnolo ones look really nice and pretty good quality for 24 quid (discounted from 60).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=1544&SortBy=DiscountDESC

I stumbled across an old review on Bike Radar of these so have ordered a pair. Review said they would do down to minus 5 but I am sceptical but should arrive tomorrow so I will see what they are like.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290823782...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I don't blame you in this weather, it's so unpleasant out there. We're both going to have to step up our training for the Shakespeare 100 though. It's only 6 weeks on Sunday. I've just been looking at last years route and I am a little worried!

http://app.strava.com/segments/2339888

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

None of the gloves I've looked at have any kind of size guide which is annoying. Mind you the castelli ones had exact measurements and they still came up way too small...

I don't blame you in this weather, it's so unpleasant out there. We're both going to have to step up our training for the Shakespeare 100 though. It's only 6 weeks on Sunday. I've just been looking at last years route and I am a little worried!

LOL, so am I !
I know the weather will get better and more rides in the evenings.
They don't release the actual route to be taken till much nearer the time and looking back on past routes they have not always used Saintbury hill. Maybe they will give it a miss this year :sweat:

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

LOL, so am I ! I know the weather will get better and more rides in the evenings.
They don't release the actual route to be taken till much nearer the time and looking back on past routes they have not always used Saintbury hill. Maybe they will give it a miss this year

That's true. When I first started I could barely manage 8 miles at 10mph but within about 6 weeks I was doing 15mph and doing 30+ miles so hopefully if the weather improves and I can cycle 5/6 days a week like I was then I can see more of an improvement in fitness until the event.

As for leaving out Saintbury, well we can always pray. :laugh: Mind you it could be worse, Willersey looks an even worse way to get up there.

AndyPeace

Navigation doesn't seem a strong point of yours Andy.
I'd say it's my biggest milestone to get past, as I have ambitions on taking my cycling abroad but if I can't even get round local roads without getting lost it won't be much fun. I can read an os map but struggle to keep myself orientated on the roads... I suspect it has a lot to do with never learning to drive. I'll just keep at it, as with all things cycling it can only get better with more miles!

I put myself in for this over xmas... can't believe it's only 6 weeks away!

Kins

Über Member
New bike yesterday (to me) so went for 8/9 miles (was meant to be more) in the sunshine for a pleasant ride. Turned into a right old slog. Head wind all the way out that almost had me stopped on a couple of strong gusts.

Then to add insult to injury, mile from home my first puncture and blow me down if I hadn't forgot to put my mini pump in my rusksack. :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom