Show us: your log burners and open fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
I’m in a fortunate position regarding firewood. In the last few weeks I've had eight ash trees, all suffering from dieback, and a willow taken down. I've had to build another log store (my third!), but I realise it’s nowhere big enough. I’ll split some now, the rest store on pallets under a tarpaulin until needed. I’ve got quite a few years worth, I reckon.
This is just one of the trees and the part completed store.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Some lovely cozy homes on this thread CC members have nice taste.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Quiet night in by the fire, Just a pity the price of wood is very high compared to heating oil at present or i would use the stove more often. Tend to just gather up old wood and burn it when i have enough to keep fire going for a few days.
Aye a pretty gel

What a beautiful tortie-tabby :wub: Please give her a chin tickle from me. (I do suffer rather badly from tortie-itis)
Yep a petty one :wub:

davidphilips

Phil Pip
Any one know if open fires or stoves may be banned? Just read on internet some rummer about sale of coal etc stopping from next year? Reason for asking am considering fitting another stove in small room?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Any one know if open fires or stoves may be banned? Just read on internet some rummer about sale of coal etc stopping from next year? Reason for asking am considering fitting another stove in small room?
Yep I've heard the same thing, I doubt BoJo could get that past his voters though unless we all go to Cumbria to test our woodburners like 'sCummings' would

IIRC that only applies to house coal.

I remember reading up about it when it was first mentioned, was it last year, as I'm on solid fuel here, and I don't think it affects smokeless or anthracite.

Banning all coals would be a major issue for rural households like mine, as they'd never pipe mains gas right out into the sticks. Some of my neighbours have oil heating, but I've no safe space to put a tank.

davidphilips

Phil Pip
Sounds great Reynard for me any way i dont use coal, so will go ahead with fitting another stove in the summer, only my view but the great thing about a real fire is it takes any dampness out of a house better than radiators and home seems to stay warm for longer even after fires out? Plus any old books can be recycled though them.

Sounds great Reynard for me any way i dont use coal, so will go ahead with fitting another stove in the summer, only my view but the great thing about a real fire is it takes any dampness out of a house better than radiators and home seems to stay warm for longer even after fires out? Plus any old books can be recycled though them.

Don't take my word for it though - always better to check. I burn mostly wood though, and I do make sure it's well-seasoned.

Deffo with you on a fire keeping a house warm compared to a radiator. Think it's because of the heat absorbed by the brickwork and then radiating it out once the fire has died down. Same principle as a storage heater, come to think of it...

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I think house coal will be banned, but you'll still get smokeless etc.
The sale of unseasoned wood is also to be banned at some time, which is a good thing I think. Although how it'll be policed is anybody's guess.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I’m in a fortunate position regarding firewood. In the last few weeks I've had eight ash trees, all suffering from dieback, and a willow taken down. I've had to build another log store (my third!), but I realise it’s nowhere big enough. I’ll split some now, the rest store on pallets under a tarpaulin until needed. I’ve got quite a few years worth, I reckon.
This is just one of the trees and the part completed store. View attachment 555694
View attachment 555695
You can certainly see the die back in those rounds.
Great log store by the way. And split by hand by the looks of it. Impressed.

Proto

Legendary Member
You can certainly see the die back in those rounds.
Great log store by the way. And split by hand by the looks of it. Impressed.

Thanks, yes, all split by hand , and a lot more to do. We sought advice and because of location and access it was decided to take them down. Close to the house and potential for serious damage if they fell. Dieback not too bad yet, but tree surgeons won’t climb them if it’s serious as the tree can collapse with them 30 feet up.

Here‘s the log store finished, two rows of logs stored, room for two more rows.

Heaping up stoves with fuel, closing the air inlets and letting them smoulder overnight is the worst thing you can do for pollution and your chimney.
Yeah but still hot in the morning and doesn't need to be relit. Kettles are still hot AND I dont need to turn on the central heating, which makes me cry. All I do is add some sticks to the half log (normally). Take the dog for a walk roaring fire when I get back. Chimney sweep says my Chimney is always okay not any worse than anyone else's. Only cleans it once a year. And i hate my neighbours anyway!

Top Bottom