Should Turbo miles for your years final total?

Do turbo miles count

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
I have to disagree with that - a good structured training block over the winter using a mix of turbo and out door will see your average speed increase.

My turbo sessions on trainer road are usually between 60-90 minutes with a mix of threshold, sweet spot and Vo2 max. Mix that in with a couple of outdoor rides per week and more than ready for the spring.

I'm absolutely certain a proper training winter training programme, whether indoor or outdoor, will deliver more than straightforward riding. I'm sure you're correct. I don't follow or have an interest in doing this though I do go spinning for 90 minutes twice weekly.

I had interpreted the poll as should miles on a turbo be counted as miles ridden, perhaps I was wrong to do so. In terms of riding a bike I don't think they count.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If I dream Ive done the miles. Does that count?

JuhaL

Guru
I count all the virtual kilometers. I have find many times that i ride harder effort indoors than outdoors. It’s hard work for me and thats why very reality as well.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I roll the car window down and hold the bike with one hand while driving .I couldn't that towards my Strava miles.

Someone once accused me of cheating but I told him it's ok coz it's not an e-bike.

CXRAndy

Guru
I voted "No" but happily accept it's an individual choice. I do believe winter road miles are much better prepartion for spring than a turbo.

I'd guess turbo work does hurt more as has been suggested by some. On the other hand I did 65 miles, 4500 feet, 14.9avg on Sunday. I think one would be hard pressed to replicate the benefits of that while pedalling in the garage for 4+ hours!!!!

You wouldn't need to ride for 4 hours to get tbe same or more TSS score. On a turbo you never stop pedalling. Freewheeling is a natural reaction to going downhill.

Ive done 4 hour+ rides on a turbo in group rides and clocked up 100 miles with non stop pedalling. Utterly exhausted the first time i completed one. Also ive done zone 2 for upto 4 hours. You cannot get the same intensity or TSS from outdoor.

That doesn't mean outdoor isnt pleasurable. I just use indoor to build fitness for outdoors. BTW I love indoor training :biggrin:

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You cannot get the same intensity or TSS from outdoor. :biggrin:
You really need to try harder on the road.:laugh::laugh:

JuhaL

Guru
Ended just before Mizen Head. Real thing is much better though you won't have the rough roads or winds or rain on your turbo.
Bkool Simulator wind conditions. With head wind resistance unit brakes and tail wind it loosens. You can clearly feel it but not for sure how realistic it is.

Top Bottom