Shimano GRX800 1x11 vs New CUES U8000 - Pro's & Cons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Never heard of CUES (then again I pay little to no attention to anything from Shimano) but GRX is fitted to lots of bikes, as is SRAM 1x stuff

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Best going for grx as it's better spec and it fits!

Yeah, I think so.
The CUES U8000 will fit but only if I use a different chain set, not the CUES chain set (which isn't compatible with my bike).
However, the 42t GRX RX810 chain set will fit and work perfectly apparently, although at just under £220 it's not much cheaper than the £250 44t Easton chain set.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

If there's a SRAM option, within budget, of the required spec, then I'm all ears.
I think it would have to be Rival or upwards to equal the GRX though, but please do educate me as I know nothing about SRAM stuff TBH.
I presume they do thumb shifters for their 1x sets?

Jameshow

Veteran
Yeah, I think so.
The CUES U8000 will fit but only if I use a different chain set, not the CUES chain set (which isn't compatible with my bike).
However, the 42t GRX RX810 chain set will fit and work perfectly apparently, although at just under £220 it's not much cheaper than the £250 44t Easton chain set.

Why does it not fit! If it's ht2 I would fit with spacers to suit a road frame, hardly a bodge.

Anyway grx is better imo.

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'm sorry but it sounds like your LBS is talking utter cobblers. Having a look at the Shimano specs for the Cues crankset you can clearly see it is suitable for 68 or 74 mm bottom bracket widths.

If you have a 68mm BB, then you just space it out, this has been standard for the last 20 years or more. It's not a bodge at all and recommended by Shimano themselves. As for creaks and increasing the chance of failure, what rubbish, i expect that there's a lot of folk on here that have spacers on their BB's to accommodate the crankset. I had a a MTB triple chainset on my old Dawes Super Galaxy and that was spaced out as standard from the factory, I rode thousands of miles on that bike with no problems.

The only other issue I could see was with the chainline, but CUES has a standard 50mm chainline, so again, no issues there. I really don't see what the issue is with fitting it to your bike.

Shimano CUES chainset Specs:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/cues-u8000/FC-U8000-1.html

Jenkins

Legendary Member
If there's a SRAM option, within budget, of the required spec, then I'm all ears.
I think it would have to be Rival or upwards to equal the GRX though, but please do educate me as I know nothing about SRAM stuff TBH.
I presume they do thumb shifters for their 1x sets?

I don't think there's a Rival flat bar shifter, but there is an Apex one and this works perfectly with the Rival x1 rear derailleur as both are 11 speed exact actuation.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Can Anyone here comment on how the GRX 800 shifts, especially under load, which is supposedly one of the traits of CUES (shifting well, even better, under load).
Is the GRX more forgiving than 105 for example or do I still need to ease off the pedals/load to shift?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Anyone?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I'm sorry but it sounds like your LBS is talking utter cobblers. Having a look at the Shimano specs for the Cues crankset you can clearly see it is suitable for 68 or 74 mm bottom bracket widths.

If you have a 68mm BB, then you just space it out, this has been standard for the last 20 years or more. It's not a bodge at all and recommended by Shimano themselves. As for creaks and increasing the chance of failure, what rubbish, i expect that there's a lot of folk on here that have spacers on their BB's to accommodate the crankset. I had a a MTB triple chainset on my old Dawes Super Galaxy and that was spaced out as standard from the factory, I rode thousands of miles on that bike with no problems.

The only other issue I could see was with the chainline, but CUES has a standard 50mm chainline, so again, no issues there. I really don't see what the issue is with fitting it to your bike.

Shimano CUES chainset Specs:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/cues-u8000/FC-U8000-1.html

I don’t know the BB size or how to find it. I’ve looked online but can’t find a definitive answer on the size. I know it’s an FSA Press fit though.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Can Anyone here comment on how the GRX 800 shifts, especially under load, which is supposedly one of the traits of CUES (shifting well, even better, under load).
Is the GRX more forgiving than 105 for example or do I still need to ease off the pedals/load to shift?

I like the idea of shifting under load with the CUES, but would go for GRX if it also shifted well under load, at least better than the 105 does anyway.
Anyone?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

No, I’ve made up my mind that despite a couple of possible plus points (slightly better gear range, and shifting under load) there is just too much uncertainty with CUES and not enough real world reviews.
playing it safe and going for the GRX812 1x11 11/42 and associated 42t GRX chain set etc.

Top Bottom