Shimano GRX800 1x11 vs New CUES U8000 - Pro's & Cons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Any reason you're not considering using SRAM NX or Rival? I've got a couple of flat bar bikes with NX on one and Rival on the other and an ebike with NX and not had a problem with either spinning out or having enough gears at the other end. There's not much difference between the two systems, but personal preference would be for Rival.
For info one flat bar is on a 46t chainring and 11-42 cassette (Rval), the other flat bar is on a 42t chainring and 11-34 cassette and the ebike is 42t chainring and 11-42 cassette (both NX).

No reason other than knowing next to nothing about SRAM and their offerings.
I need a min 1:1 low gear for hills (as I currently have on my 105 2x11 - 34/34) so those options will not work for me.
11/42 with a 42t chainring would (as per the GRX 11/42)

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

The LBS tell me that the CUES crank/chain set is designed for the wider MTB frame, and my bike is essentially a flat bar road bike carbon frame.so they will need to use spacers etc to 'pack it out'. I'm told that this could increase the risk of failure and noisy creaks etc.
Anyone had experience of this?

Jameshow

Veteran
The LBS tell me that the CUES crank/chain set is designed for the wider MTB frame, and my bike is essentially a flat bar road bike carbon frame.so they will need to use spacers etc to 'pack it out'. I'm told that this could increase the risk of failure and noisy creaks etc.
Anyone had experience of this?

Ht2? a few spacers Less that 5mm?
Hardly going to cause a creak unless Chris Hoy!

Drago

Legendary Member
Every extra interface is an opportunity for failure.

Why go to the effort of designing and introducing 2 piece cranks to reduce the number of interfades and thus opportunites for movement or failure, only to then use an extra spacer to graft the chainset onto a frame it will work on but for which it was never really intended?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Every extra interface is an opportunity for failure.

Why go to the effort of designing and introducing 2 piece cranks to reduce the number of interfades and thus opportunites for movement or failure, only to then use an extra spacer to graft the chainset onto a frame it will work on but for which it was never really intended?

Because, and don't go into the sale/not sale of 105.

GRX is better than CUES in the line up, so base it on budget. GRX is probably more suitable.

Drago

Legendary Member
Because, and don't go into the sale/not sale of 105.

Sorry Foss me old mucker, you lost me.

I was talking purely about the technical consideration, nothing more.

The issue I cited is likely one of the reasons GRX is marketed as a higher end product. Its designed from the get go for that purpose, not bodged into a use it was never quite intended for

To return to the original question, for that sort of reason I'd go GRX, and Indeed did.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I think that providing the fast gears were not reduced too much, I'd go for the GRX.
I have tried and got myself utterly confused trying to work out what my 'top speed' is/was with the 50t/34t - 11/34 105 set up, compared to for example a 42t 11/42 GRX?
The hill gears are the same 1:1, so that's fine, nothing lost there, and I reckon there's some speed I'll never use in the 105, so can afford to lose some of it, but how much can I lose, before having a bike that's only good for hills and gravel, with no road speed capability of note.
I don't know my cadence, but basing it on an average range of 60-80rpm, can anyone tell me what speed I'd be spinning out at on the flat with the GRX 42t 11/42 set up?
700 wheels with 32 tyres.
I'm not a fast rider, but I don't want to be spinning out at 15mph or even 20mph, but 25mph+ would be OK.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Ah yes of course, apologies, having a brain fart moment.
Very helpful, and it seems no need for concern with an 11/42.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Yes, roughly.

80rpm would give you 28mph with a 50/11 and 24 mph with a 42/11.

Great thanks, I can live with that.

Just had a call from a LBS, and they tell me that they have spoken to Shimano and that the CUES crank/chain set will not fit my bike without some bodging/spacers etc. So that's out.
However, I could still get CUES but fit an after market crank/chain set that will fit my BB, or possibly a GRX one.

They also threw a spanner in the works by suggesting a SRAM APEX 12sp 11/44 although I think they are all electronic, and although I'd love that I think it will be way over budget. I'd apparently still need to have a new BB though as the SRAM crank/chain set uses a 'DUB' set up (means nothing to me).

GRX is looking more and more likely as I dive into this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

So, another LBS email to say that there are no reasonable or cost effective chain set options to allow CUES on my bike.
Best they can suggest is an Easton chain set with a 44t chain ring, cost £250 plus fitting. This starts to ramp up the cost and viability of CUES.
I think it's going to be GRX.

vickster

Legendary Member
Doubt SRAM Apex is electronic, it's their first level road groupset (Tiagra/105 equivalent generally).
What's the issue with GRX - there are different levels of that if budget an issue?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Doubt SRAM Apex is electronic, it's their first level road groupset (Tiagra/105 equivalent generally).
What's the issue with GRX - there are different levels of that if budget an issue?

No issues with GRX, and it's still looking like it will be the one I go for.
The SRAM stuff was mentioned so I was just tentatively/half-heartedly exploring it.
I am getting very confusing and often conflicting information from LBS's on the CUES viability, more specifically with my basically road bike frame and BB allowing for the CUES chain set.

Top Bottom