Shimano GRX800 1x11 vs New CUES U8000 - Pro's & Cons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

I have asked about the new Shimano CUES 1x11 system previously on another thread, however, it's a little old now and I wanted to focus down on a specific situation and choice.
I am proceeding with my plan to have the 105 drivetrain replaced with a 1x set up, and I have sold in principle, my 105 set and will be completing that sale once it's removed from my bike.
In other words, this thread is not about if I should do it, that ship has sailed, it's happening. I am now asking for advice on which set up to go for when I do.

My budget is a max of £500 (Inc. fitting etc.)
As I see it (open to correction) I have two choices.

Shimano GRX800
GRX chainset RX810 42t
GRX800 rear derailleur
Shift lever, existing 105 is compatible (no shifter req)
HG7011 chain
M8000 cassette 11/42

CUES U8000
Cues FC-800 chainset 42t
Cues RD-8000 rear derailleur
Cues SL-8000 shifter
LG500 chain
Cues CS LG-700 cassette (11/45 or 11/50 - to be decided)

Both can be done for around or under £500 all in.

Both will offer me the same or easier low gears for hills etc. The CUES 11/45 or 50 will obviously give me even easier gears, whereas the GRX 11/42 will give me the same 1:1 as I get with my current 105 34/34 in the easiest gear combo.
Both will reduce my high gears vs the current 105 50/11 hardest gear.
Note: I need to know how much I'd lose on the harder/high gears with both options, vs my current 105 50/11 highest gear. I accept some will be lost, and I'm not too bothered providing I'm not spinning out at 15-20mph for example.
I have looked at calculators but they ask for input that I don't know or understand so any help would be appreciated in getting a 3-way comparison?

Both options may feel a little less 'smooth' than the 105 (although my experience it's not that smooth TBH) but the CUES may be a little less smooth than the GRX?
Both should provide positive changes but the CUES will have a slightly slower/delayed change due to the way Linkglide works (every other rear cassette tooth for a lift off point, rather than every one on the GRX/105 etc.).
CUES is supposedly better (even perhaps happier) at shifting under load, whereas GRX, like 105 is best if you ease off when shifting. A small change in riding/shifting methods may be required.
So, to summarise, will a novice, fitness/recreational rider like me, riding undulating country lanes and not interested in competing or clubs, notice a significant drop in shifting quality and noise/smoothness etc?
Will CUES feel more 'agricultural' than GRX, or will they feel about the same, and will they both feel noticeably more clunky and agricultural (to me) than the 105 for example?.

My main drivers are:-
  • Convenience/simplicity (more about the ride itself than faffing about with front/rear gears and bike settings)
  • Eliminating clunky and noisy chain/cross chain issues
  • Min 1:1 low end and as little loss on the high end as possible.
So, it's happening, but please can you help me decide the best way to go?

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I would go for grx 800 which has an ultegra level rd...

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/groupsets/shimano-grx-review

The shifter will make as much difference as the Rd too.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Should have also mentioned that it is for a flat bar (Giant Fastroad Advanced 1 2022), so the GRX brifter will not apply to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Although, one LBS told me that most of the 11 speed thumb shifters will work with the GRX 42-11/42

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Cues seems to be substantially* heavier.
*Subjective obviously.
Not the question you asked I realise.

Yes I’ve heard that. I suppose it depends on how much heavier it is. I’m not fussed about a few grams here or there, I’m not that good a rider to care, unless it’s a lot more that I’d definitely notice of course.
Upside is that it supposedly lasts 3x longer than the other stuff. Time will tell of course.
It’s originally designed for e bikes so if it can cope with those loads I can see how it just might last a lot longer on standard mechanical bikes ridden by old farts like me.

I’m more concerned with how noisy (or not) it is and how easy and smooth it is (or isn’t).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Both will reduce my high gears vs the current 105 50/11 hardest gear.
Note: I need to know how much I'd lose on the harder/high gears with both options, vs my current 105 50/11 highest gear. I accept some will be lost, and I'm not too bothered providing I'm not spinning out at 15-20mph for example.
I have looked at calculators but they ask for input that I don't know or understand so any help would be appreciated in getting a 3-way comparison?
Both the GRX and U8000 are 42/11 top gear so this is just a 2 way comparison.

Here's how fast you would be going at a cadence of 110 rpm. That may not be quite "spinning out" for everyone but it's getting uncomfortably high (for me it is anyway)

50/11: 40 mph (63 km/h)
42/11: 33 mph (53 km/h)

Or put another way, how fast would you be pedalling at 20 mph (32 km/h)
50/11: 56 rpm
42/11: 67 rpm

So I think you're right not to be too bothered.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Yes I’ve heard that. I suppose it depends on how much heavier it is. I’m not fussed about a few grams here or there, I’m not that good a rider to care, unless it’s a lot more that I’d definitely notice of course.
Upside is that it supposedly lasts 3x longer than the other stuff. Time will tell of course.
It’s originally designed for e bikes so if it can cope with those loads I can see how it just might last a lot longer on standard mechanical bikes ridden by old farts like me.

I’m more concerned with how noisy (or not) it is and how easy and smooth it is (or isn’t).

Take with a good pince of marketing salt.

In my experience the better quality groupsets last longer than cheaper ones, but it's hard to see differences between two which are close together. More expensive ones tend to be polished not painted, shifting improves as you go up the hierarchy...

Jameshow

Veteran
Slicker less notchy which isn't surprising as you go from sat 8-10 or 11 speed the distance the chain moves is less.
The shifters will be made to a higher spec I expect.
Looking at weights DA and ultegra are close whilst tiagra and 105 are similar so I would expect materials to be somewhat similar in each groupset.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Interesting thread.

Next bike (some way off) will almost certainly be 1x12 or whatever Shimano/SRAM are turning out then.

Fed up with fiddly FD's requiring settings to 0-0.5mm tolerances.

Looking foward to some 'in use' updates once this project is completed. :bicycle:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Any reason you're not considering using SRAM NX or Rival? I've got a couple of flat bar bikes with NX on one and Rival on the other and an ebike with NX and not had a problem with either spinning out or having enough gears at the other end. There's not much difference between the two systems, but personal preference would be for Rival.
For info one flat bar is on a 46t chainring and 11-42 cassette (Rval), the other flat bar is on a 42t chainring and 11-34 cassette and the ebike is 42t chainring and 11-42 cassette (both NX).

Top Bottom