RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Or at least pay particular attention to descents, and potentially dangerous points en route. Leith Hill's downhill really needs looking at IMO.

sleaver

Veteran
They should've never been allowed to get in a mess in first place!
Agreed. Maybe we should get the French over to show us how it is done. Oh, hold on, we won't be any better off as they will be on strike all the time :laugh:

carling

I'm a little confused with what the wave time is?

Wave time open 6.51 and closes 7.21 with a start time of 8.08.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm a little confused with what the wave time is?

Wave time open 6.51 and closes 7.21 with a start time of 8.08.

Same as me, the wave time is when your "pen" is open, what time you need to get in the queue ready for the start, your pen closes at 7.21 then from 7.21 you wait and slowly move forward towards the start and you set off at 8.08.

vickster

Legendary Member
I refer the honourable lady to my previous answer ;)^_^
I did just under 78 miles today, moving time of around 5h30, 14.2mph average. Obviously open roads, and the traffic was tricksy in places, but little climbing and the elapsed time was rather more with quite long breaks!

https://www.strava.com/activities/343905234/

I think I'll be ok on the basis of that especially as I had a very dry and sore throat all day (which did mean I drank much more than usual, a good thing) and I'm now all bunged up with a cold :sad:

Now I just need to figure out how to stop my feet hurting so much when they get hot and shoes tighten up!

Done on porridge, a slice of Victoria sandwich at the white Waltham church fete, ham and cheese sarnie, a nutty powerbar thingy and 2 lattes

Recovery banana, a few cherries and a Thai meal out with half a lager!

Last edited:

sleaver

Veteran
Now I just need to figure out how to stop my feet hurting so much when they get hot and shoes tighten up!
I read somewhere about curling your toes when you put your tighten your shoes up. When you uncurl your toes, your shoes may be a bit loose, but you have got room for when they get hot.

sleaver

Veteran
I also did a long training ride yesterday as the weather was nice and I didn't want to play chicken with it next weekend.

After about 42km, the punter fairy final struck when I suddenly heard air escaping pretty quickly out of my front tyre. Up until that point, I had only ever got flats at home or close enough to home where I could get home anyway. It seems something cut straight through the tyre :sad: Anyway, I got to finally use a CO2 canister that I brought at the RideLondon expo last year. So put the valve on, screwed the canister in, pushed down and nothing, checked the canister was screwed in, nothing.

So now I'm thinking that I have a pressurised CO2 canister attached to my still flat wheel that must have had its seal broken that I have to somehow unscrew :rolleyes: So I slowly unsure it until the gas can escape without the canister flying off across the road.

Turns out that some dope screwed the valve in when they inflated the new tube a bit to make it easier to put it in. I mean, what twit forgets the unscrew the valve again before they screw a CO2 canister on it :blush: :whistle: :banghead:

The rest of the ride was rather uneventful, but with nice scenery in the National Park until after I stopped at a little village shop to buy a sugary drink and where the nice woman offered to fill up my bottles for free. My knees must have seized up a bit because when I started to go up the next hill, I had a sudden sharp pain in my left knee overtime I pushed down on the peddle. If that had carried on, I was in trouble as I was basically half way and so the furthest from home and so would not have been able to get home. Lucky they warmed up again though because the first thought I had was the reaction I would get when I phoned someone to pick considering they would of had about an 80 mile round trip :whistle:

Every food really does get sickly after a while. I had brought some mini pork pies the day before as something savoury but they are not much good when you remember they are still in the fridge at home :rolleyes:

After almost 110km I went past the bottom of Leith Hill and thought about it to see what it would be like after that distance, but thought that I would prefer not to know :smile:

This was all the first time that I had approached Leith Hill where you turn left onto it rather than right. I like how everyone has been keeping that short and sharp incline right before it quite :smile:

https://www.strava.com/activities/343951951

vickster

Legendary Member
@sleaver on the basis of that you won't struggle :-)

Simontm

Veteran
I

After almost 110km I went past the bottom of Leith Hill and thought about it to see what it would be like after that distance, but thought that I would prefer not to know :smile:

This was all the first time that I had approached Leith Hill where you turn left onto it rather than right. I like how everyone has been keeping that short and sharp incline right before it quite :smile:

https://www.strava.com/activities/343951951
Oh, there's a ramp that's a sharp right before you left turn into Leith ;)
Also an extremely annoying ramp the other side :okay:
I'm actually reducing my training lengths now to around 50/60 miles as I ride 150 miles a week on commute anyway.
Saying that, I like @vikster route for a flattish ride. May do that next week -always turn round at Windsor, seems a natural point <shrug>.

sleaver

Veteran
Oh, there's a ramp that's a sharp right before you left turn into Leith ;)
I've been down it a few times and got up to a fair speed, but it never really occurred to me about doing it the other way and then about 100 meters later turning on to Leith Hill. Just to wet some peoples appetite as it wouldn't be nice to not share :evil: (Google Street View does make it look worse but it is still enough for the legs to notice and sit up.

Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 17.15.15.png

From the top (looking behind) just as you are about to turn on to Leith Hill. Where did the road go ^_^

Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 17.18.48.png

Also an extremely annoying ramp the other side :okay:
Do you mean the one back onto the A25? If so, that was mentioned a while ago and it is a bit of a wake up call after having a few easy km's downhill :smile:

I'm actually reducing my training lengths now to around 50/60 miles as I ride 150 miles a week on commute anyway.
Thats what I'm doing now and probably will only to about 50-60 Km on the remaining two weekends. I've contemplated with the idea of riding down to Brighton and then as I'm tapering,, I've got an excuse to get the train back :whistle:

I did just under 78 miles today, moving time of around 5h30, 14.2mph average.
If you did that with a cold (colds don't just appear after 5 hours), you'll be fine as well :okay:

philk56

Guru
Hi. Sorry if it has already been discussed here but having never cycled (or even driven) these roads before we are planning a recce over Leith & Box Hills next weekend. I have started planning a route but would like to avoid the A24 out of Dorking up to Box Hill. Does anyone have an alternative that is not too out of the way, or is the road not as bad as it looks? I'd like to do the hills in the same order as on the actual ride if possible.

Thanks

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Hi. Sorry if it has already been discussed here but having never cycled (or even driven) these roads before we are planning a recce over Leith & Box Hills next weekend. I have started planning a route but would like to avoid the A24 out of Dorking up to Box Hill. Does anyone have an alternative that is not too out of the way, or is the road not as bad as it looks? I'd like to do the hills in the same order as on the actual ride if possible.

Thanks

The A24 is a busy road, but there will be a lot of cyclists on it so you will be ok going up it, if I recall correctly there is a wide path along side the road (possibly a cycle path, can't remember) so you could ride up that. I expect you have similar busy roads in Barnet that you ride safely.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Thanks

It's not as bad as it looks. You'll be fine.

Top Bottom