Reflectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
But I wouldn’t want a careless motorist (or his insurer) to get off on tributory negligence.

That‘a all water under the bridge

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The reflectors thing bugs me. I don't have pedal reflectors (except on my Brompton and on my dedicated turbo bike :smile: )

I do always have multiple Cateye Omni rear lights at night, mainly for redundancy because I'm unlikely to notice if one fails. I also have patches of retro reflective tape on my rack and mudguards. When riding in the dark I also normally have reflective flashes on my shoes and a reflective right ankle band and my rack bag has big retro reflective patches.

That's all well and good but I still don't have amber pedal reflectors, or a proper red rear reflector. So I don't think I'm technically legal. The possibility of this being held against me in the event of an accident bugs me.

Especially the pedal reflectors thing. Wouldn't it be better to change the law given that it's so widely ignored and offers no benefit over what has become common practice - to have reflectors on shoes.

Mike_P

Guru
Just Eat and Deliveroo ”cyclists” bring a new meaning to the word cyclist - menaces on two wheels. No respect for any other road users, road markings, traffic lights or signals. Absolute menace. Good for Derek !!

Probably an illegal ebike anyway. Would suggest its not necessarily stopping cyclists from riding on pavements, its ensuring that hierarchy of highway users is not fouled. Quite clear from the video that was a location with too many people about and wheeling the bike would have been appropriate.

Reactions: C R

Lone Wolf

Über Member
Probably an illegal ebike anyway. Would suggest its not necessarily stopping cyclists from riding on pavements, its ensuring that hierarchy of highway users is not fouled. Quite clear from the video that was a location with too many people about and wheeling the bike would have been appropriate.

Bloody menace around Cardiff, and yeah, all riding badly TIG welded El Cheapo ebikes.

Reactions: C R

presta

Guru
I don’t have any reflectors.
Re. Pedal reflectors, I use Shimano M520 SPD & Look Keo pedals, you can’t fit reflectors to either.
Me neither, they've all got taken of at one time or other, for one reason or another. Even the tyre reflectors are so tired they're invisible.
a red rear reflector in the box. Unfortunately it doesn't actually fit anywhere on the bike
There's probably a connection there.

My Ribble did come with a rear reflector (integrated into the optional mudguards I'd added using the bike builder). But it was supplied sans pedals so not sold as a complete bike.

I've added a front reflector.
I also added a rear rack with a Cateye Reflex Rack rear light that met BS and StVZO standards.
I also equipped the bike PD-M520 SPD pedals to which I'd added the platform inserts to one side with the pedal reflectors.
Despite buying several types of BS6102/2 wheel reflectors, none would fit the wheels.

I've now removed the rack to save weight and that which means I'm making do with Cateye Viz 350 as the sole rear light (and a helmet light)
I've also swapped the pedals for single sided SPD-SL pedals.

But I'm only using the bike in daylight. I guess I'll tweaking it back if I use it at night.

Both the hybrids have the full compliment of reflectors, lots of blinky lights - at least one rear on both being compliant with either or both BS6102/2 or StVZO and tyres with reflective sidewalls.

I am of the opinion, you can't have enough blinking lights.

It is all quite weird. With club road cyclists it has a mandatory feel not to wear hi viz.
Yet with horse riders it feels the exact opposite.
Except hi-viz doesn't appear to work, or at least big blocks of it don't work:

https://road.cc/content/news/232944...s-can-increase-chance-collision-while-cycling
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2214140516303796

It appears big blocks of hi-viz means at a distance, motorists identify cyclists as street furniture. I read somewhere that the best thing for conspicuity (at night) is helmet torch and retro-reflectives on the ankles.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Except hi-viz doesn't appear to work, or at least big blocks of it don't work:

https://road.cc/content/news/232944...s-can-increase-chance-collision-while-cycling
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2214140516303796

It appears big blocks of hi-viz means at a distance, motorists identify cyclists as street furniture. I read somewhere that the best thing for conspicuity (at night) is helmet torch and retro-reflectives on the ankles.

I find white shoes bouncing up and down on the pedals get me noticed.

Top Bottom