Reflectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
My new Ribble arrived without reflectors of any kind, either attached or in the box.
My new bike DID come with a red rear reflector in the box. Unfortunately it doesn't actually fit anywhere on the bike - the seat post is one of those ones that has a "fancy" design/shape to try and reduce road vibration and it won't fit round that, and everywhere else I've tried to place it, it's come loose long before the end of my ride - usually it's hanging on facing completely the wrong way within a few miles of riding.

I did fit reflective strips to the backs of my (SPD) cycling shoes to make up for the lack of pedal reflectors, but I have no idea whether they'd be doing any good or not.

Alex321

Guru
I think it is a legal requirement for retailers to fit them but I dont think you are braking the law if you remove them.

Maybe someone can confirm that for me

You are in breach of the Road Vehicle Lighting regulations if you ride after dark without pedal reflectors (unless your bike was manufactured before 1st October 1985), even though a large majority of clipless pedals sold have no facility to fit reflectors.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/1
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/20

Https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/4 (this is the bit that says the regulations don't apply to pedal cycles between Surnise and sunset)

Alex321

Guru
I have a set of those somewhere. Bought then just in case their was a clampdown on the matter. Have a feeling the old highway code was not specific to "at night". Hybrid and ebike both have proper pedal refector MTB pedals.

Possibly the Highway code wasn't specific, but the law is, and has been since at least 1989, that the rules on obligatory lights and reflkectors do not apply to pedal cycles between sunrise and sunset.

Alex321

Guru
Not a built/complete bike when sold. Which is why some shops take the simple step of not fitting the pedals at the time of sale.

When they do, it is always the cheapest flat pedals, which normally do come with built in reflectors.

They don't usually fit pedals to anything but the cheapest bikes because they know that any serious cyclist is just going to want to change them immediately.

classic33

Leg End Member
When they do, it is always the cheapest flat pedals, which normally do come with built in reflectors.

They don't usually fit pedals to anything but the cheapest bikes because they know that any serious cyclist is just going to want to change them immediately.
It's actually a workaround the current regulations, as the bike was incomplete at the time of sale/purchased.

It's actually a workaround the current regulations, as the bike was incomplete at the time of sale/purchased.

MTB's have a similar workaround here: if they don't have lights we have to write "Does not comply with road regulations" on the price tag but we can still sell it. I did have a customer try and claim a refund on the basis we hadn't told him this (we had; and there's a sticker saying this on the handlebars) and then when I refused a refund on these grounds, he claimed I had to pay him back because the bike was "under guarantee" (it wasn't) and the bike had a puncture.

My Keo's don't have built in reflectors, but I always use ankle "Slap Bands" if planning to be out in twilight or later.
I also use them on ankles & wrists, as l will this evening, leaving work at 22:15
(on meal-break as l type)

LIghts & reflectors
The CGR frame 'died', but barring the reflective (frame) tape, all lights/reflectives are the same om the Biscuit
Lighting. 28.JPG

Lighting. 25.jpg

Lighting. 30.JPG

Lighting. 32A.jpg

Just iPhone flash.
(front mudflap also reflects)

Mudguards. CGR. 10.JPG

Reflectors. CGR. 11.jpg

Top Bottom