Reflectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
I think all bikes in the UK are sold with front and rear reflectors and a bell but it looks like a lot of people remove them.

Are they pretty much useless with high vis and lights being a better option or is there still good reason to use them

I think all bikes in the UK are sold with front and rear reflectors and a bell but it looks like a lot of people remove them.

Are they pretty much useless with high vis and lights being a better option or is there still good reason to use them

We are required to fit them here, I don't know what the legal situation is in the UK.

Still a legal requirement, as are pedal (& spoke) reflectors, l believe

I go ‘above & beyond’ on my work-bike
2 x rear reflectors
Reflective mudflaps (f & r)
Shwalbe Marathon tyres, with a reflective band on sidewalls
Spoke reflectors
Front reflector

3 x front lights
4 x rear lights

And still the cock-wombles cut me up/come far too close

I even had one driver wind window down at traffic lights, suggesting my lights were too bright
He’d passed me, but caught up, after being held by another driver turning right

He wasn’t too happy when l pointed out his; lack of rear lights (on idiotic Daylight Running Lights), no seat belt, phone in his hand, & due to the wet road surface that l’d noticed a smooth shoulder to the front tyre

He shut up, when l suggested offering his registration & my helmet cam (don’t have one) at the local Police Station :whistle:

Mike_P

Guru
Highway Code

Rule 60​

At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen

63​

Sharing space with pedestrians, horse riders and horse drawn vehicles. ..
Slow down when necessary and let them know you are there; for example, by ringing your bell (it is recommended that a bell is fitted to your bike),

So a white front reflector and a bell are not mandatory but a red rear reflector and amber spoke reflectors are at night. Exactly what my road bike is missing, I take the Garmin Varia to acceptably replace the red reflector.

I also add extra stuff
Rear reflector/light combo is better than the one that came with the bike
Also added an extra 2 rear lights
and added 3 front lights

also I got hold of some very cheap reflective tape and have put tape on the rear mudguard (mostly red but with a central white stripe
and on all side facing surfaces

Should add that I have more than one light back and front because I feel that, especially at the back, it is easy for a light run out of battery and there is no way you would notice until you got home

so having 2 makes it almost certain that you have at least one working!

and I generally where a white/reflectibe helmet and normally a reflective vest or jacket

and still a builder van has just puller out in front of me when I was riding quite far out from the kerb!!!
so hardly invisible or not where he would be looking!!

Drago

Legendary Member

Mike_P

Guru
Top Bottom