Recumbent Rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
18/7/24
My Ride Today-Recumbent Ride
Trip to Tattenhall on the Spirit recumbent.

As usual I started with the best of intentions, hoping to get going by 0800 but the usual slippage occurred and I didn’t get going until 0850. My original plan had been to join up several shorter rides which I’d done previously to see how far I could go by say, 2pm to give me time to get home in good time. If things went well it might even be possible to go beyond the end of the Chester Greenway to get to Flint or further, though that would involve getting back after dark.

It was overcast with the occasional spell of sunshine which was already quite strong at this early hour of the day.

From Home to Wrenbury
I set off including a turn round the block just to top up the mileage as I probably wouldn’t feel like it at the end of the day if I needed to round it up. Then along NCN 551 in the direction of Nantwich. It started well, with the lights at Darnhall bridge being unusually at green as I approached downhill. Up the other side, I felt rather underpowered, as if my effort wasn’t being efficiently used. I put it down to not having done a good long run recently. Also there was a slight but pernicious headwind, as there often is in this direction.

I continued through Wettenhall. Something still wasn’t right. I stopped in a field gateway and found that the seat had slowly reclined itself by a few degrees since I’d reset it a few weeks ago. Once sorted, it immediately felt better. I’d fitted some different pedals since the last long trip, and I couldn’t help thinking that the seat might benefit from being set back a little. I pressed on. It’s always slow going here, as it looks like a gradual downhill but isn’t, and I always make better progress in the opposite direction. As if to rub it in, two cyclists came the other way, going well.

After passing the marina at Cholmondeston I came across a sign. “Road closed due to Emergency Work”. I carried on, hoping that a cyclist might squeeze through. I made better progress here, and although the sun was out, it was shady in this lane. I came across a truck with some workmen tidying up and putting equipment away, with a long queue of vehicles behind it. As I passed it, it got going, followed by the tailback, in the direction that I’d just come from.

I carried on, feeling a bit more relaxed. I came to a road works sign facing the other way. A car was stopped by it. As I came level, the driver’s window opened, and a woman asked if I’d just come through, and if she could get through by car. I told her what I’d seen, and she thanked me and went on her way.

I came to a downhill leading to a bridge, beautifully resurfaced, and got into top and pedalled madly to get enough momentum to get up the other side. I got up there feeling better about my performance.

Out on to the Chester-Wrexham road, I turned left for Nantwich rather than wait for a gap to get across to Welshman’s Lane. Just before I reached Reaseheath College I pulled in to let the following traffic past then a little further on went right onto a pavement cycle path to avoid the busy roundabout ahead. Soon after that I turned right on to a shared path alongside the river Weaver, then under the road to come out on a path near Town Bridge. Waiting for the lights, then on to Welsh Row, left on to Queen’s Drive to follow NCN 451 to Wrenbury. 451 is relatively harmless with no big climbs but in this direction at least it is a gradual speed sapping incline along Queen’s Drive, over the canal bridge, down and up a couple of dips, through Ravensmoor. It is only in Wrenbury itself that it levels out or allows a slight downhill. I know from experience that it’s a lot faster and easier in the other direction.

Wrenbury to Cholmondeley
I joined NCN 45 at Wrenbury then I came across a traffic queue waiting for the canal lift bridge to rise. I went to the front then pulled in alongside a pub to wait for it all to clear. A boat went by, the bridge came down, the traffic lights let the traffic through in turn, and off I went. Much more countrified from here on, but a steady rise.

Somehow it felt easier being able to see the road rising and dipping as it ascended than just plodding along up an unnoticeable incline making you feel underpowered. The high hedge banks helped to break up the steady headwind that had been in my face until Wrenbury.

I was passed by a couple of cyclists and then ahead was another Road Closed due to Emergency Repairs sign. The two cyclists never came back so I assumed that they’d got through. Further along I came across a road maintenance truck. It looked as if they’d been filling in potholes and were just tidying up. I got through between the truck and a hedge bank and found a car stopped and another one turning around in a gateway.

I carried on. Ten minutes later the truck came past me. A little further on I came to the matching road closed sign facing oncoming traffic. A bit more uphill, a long cooling dip then another climb and I was at the A49.

On the other side I was in Cholmondeley with its unseen castle and surrounding woodlands full of tall scots pines. Despite the road being another stealth climb it was shady here and with the rustling of these ancient trees and their piney smell, very pleasant. There were many large brown dragonflies whizzing about. I imagined there must be a lake nearby. I was aiming for my first refreshment stop at Castle Farm shop and cafe, after about 27 miles. A couple came the other way on bikes, the lady on something electric, though she seemed to be struggling.

I passed the turning for Malpas on the left, then came to some temporary traffic lights at the top of a short climb. There was some work going on at the roadside. As I came to the lights they changed to green and I rolled over the summit. The entrance to Castle Farm was just beyond and I turned gratefully into it.

There were some outdoor tables with umbrellas but they were full. There was a bench in a corner in the shade by a hedge so I locked the bike to it. I had a cheese and ham toastie and a full fat coke thinking I could do with a sugar boost. It was mid day by now. If I’d been at a table with a plate I might have photographed my exotic feast.

Having slowly but surely gained height over the last couple of hours I felt that once I’d got to Harthill the going would be much easier. Following the road that I was on would keep me on the NCN 45. I’d looked at the map before setting off and thought that despite the health warnings about the road to Malpas I could go part way along it then turn right towards Larkton before reaching Hampton Heath then join the Bickerton road and meet up with NCN 45 again in the interest of adding a few more miles to the route.

I was also tempted by the thought of just going back the way I’d just come: downhill towards home with a following wind had its attractions. But no, I told myself. I’m made of sterner stuff. I lingered in the shade for longer than I’d intended and it was 12:40 by the time I got going again.

Cholmondeley to Harthill
Downhill back the way I’d come, right at the junction for Malpas. I was disconcerted by the gradual downhillery of the road, squandering some of the height I’d so painfully gained earlier. Then the road climbed and dipped, and climbed again. Fifteen minutes later I was sheltering sweatily in the shade of an overhanging hedge bank wondering when this frigging hill would end. It was definitely too hot for this stuff. Having cooled off a bit with breathing and heart rate nearly back to normal I got going again. Up and up, slower and slower, hotter and hotter. Finally I came to a crossroads. The road on the right plunged steeply downhill. I’d better be sure that it was the right one because I didn’t fancy coming back up it. Larkton was on the signpost: Bickerton wasn’t. There didn’t seem to be any alternative routes. Looking at the map in the blistering sun made this the most likely road. This must be it. I just hoped there wasn’t an equivalent hill on the other side of wherever this road went.

Up with the stand, on to the bike, off with the brakes, and wheee, casually discarding the height I’d just gained in a mad rush downhill. The road gradually levelled out, no monster climbs, and I came to Ashton’s Cross, turning right for Larkton, then following the main route when a minor road forked off left for Larkton. This was a busier road than before, and undulated a fair bit so I was able to get some speed up on the dips, crawl over the summits, and repeat. Eventually it became more level, a sign for Bickerton appeared then signs for the NCN 45 which joined from the right. Downhill, then suddenly at a crossroads with the A534.

Straight across on to Harthill Lane then gradually climbing again. This was still the NCN 45, and at the next T junction a sign directed me right. Then started a stiff climb up to Harthill. The heat was oppressive, no wind, and it got progressively steeper. I stopped to cool down about halfway up. It was hot when I last came this way, on the Linear, and cycled to the top without stopping but it was a dry heat then, whereas today the very air felt heavy. I carried on, and arrived at the church at the top of the hill.

I stopped to cool down, and I had a look at the Church of All Saints, Harthill. To the left of the lytch gate is a sign stating that there are commonwealth war graves here. Surprising, in a remote wayside church.

P1030113.JPG

Above the porch is an inscription, “RONDVLL PRICKETT CHVRCHWARDEN:EVER SINCE 1600 VNTILL 1611”.
P1030112.JPG

There are many ancient gravestones in the churchyard, and a low family mausoleum near the road. Perhaps in former centuries Harthill was a more influential place than the sleepy village it now appears to be.
P1030110.JPG

P1030111.JPG

Harthill to Tattenhall
Feeling better, I hit the road again. The road leads downhill to the Cheshire Plain and Tattenhall. Last time, I hurtled past the right turn to Burwardsley instead of following NCN 45. For the sake of completeness I intended to turn right this time. I just let the brakes off and gravity did the rest. 35 point something flashed up briefly on the Garmin before I had to brake for an oncoming SUV. Shortly afterwards I turned right following NCN 45. This didn’t look good. I could see a steep downhill but then a steep uphill across a small valley, to a road about level with the one I was on.

Ah well, it couldn’t be that bad. I’d got up the hill to Harthill O.K. To my right a couple of tractors were making a lot of noise in a field, probably getting the hay in. I hoped to be up the other side before they left the field. Down I went, pushing in top to to cover as much distance as I could before I had to start grinding up the rest of other side in low gear.

The road levelled then round a bend appeared an extremely steep hill. I ground up it, hoping that it would ease off soon. Another bend, another steep stretch. This was ridiculous. I was heating up again. I stopped to cool off a bit, then had another go. Then I got off and pushed. If I’d been on my upright bike I’d have got off and walked. If I’d been walking, I’d have got out and walked, if that’s even possible. To add insult to injury the Garmin only recorded a max speed of 29.8 mph from my recent downhill from Harthill. When I checked the route on Bikehike after getting home it showed an uphill gradient of 18% here.

I carried on walking up this cliff of tarmac, on the sunny side of the valley at the hottest time of day with the tractor-y noise in the background, stopping to cool off at intervals, until the gradient eased. Fortunately, after a few mild ups and downs the long downhill through Burwardsley to Tattenhall began. I felt thoroughly wrung out after that experience. I certainly wouldn’t recommend this stretch. The route to Tattenhall that I accidentally took last time was much more accessible despite some climbs.

After the looong downhill I found myself on the outskirts of Tattenhall. After taking the Huxley road I came across a park where I found a bench and took a break. It was about school finishing time with mums and kids about. Tattenhall seems very pleasant. Nevertheless, it would soon be time to turn for home as I’d well exceeded my deadline for turning back. I’d found today slow going. It was only a few miles to Huxley where I could have turned left for Waverton and Chester or right for the route home. An hour or so earlier and I might have decided to carry on further.

Tattenhall to Tarporley
So, to Huxley. Not a bad road despite the traffic. I climbed the high bridge over the Chester -Crewe railway line then another one over the Shropshire Union canal. Soon I came to the right turn for Huxley then another one in the village. The road near the school was crammed with cars, naturally jumbo sized ones but once past this point there was a stretch of downhill to take it easy for a bit. Once beyond this the trend was gradually uphill. It looked as if I would reach Four Lane ends at the start of the rush hour, which would make the narrow road to Eaton fairly unpleasant. I looked at the map and saw that I could branch off to Tarporley then take a minor lane directly to Eaton from there.

I came to the sign for Tiverton and Brassey Green then opposite the entrance to Hulgrave Hall I turned left into Crib Lane. A gradual uphill in the full sun with intermittent shade from trees led to some more heating up.

I stopped before a steep climb up to Birch Heath which narrowed uphill under some trees, waiting for a gap in traffic (or more realistically, a gap in the sound of approaching traffic) and went for it. It wasn’t too bad under the trees, and as the road opened out again into Birch Heath it levelled. Soon afterwards I passed over the A49 far below on a high bridge and was soon in Tarporley. I turned left into the old high st which must have originally been the A49 before the bypass was built.

It was busy with people and traffic and looked the way many main streets in many towns must have looked years ago before they were hollowed out by out of town retail parks and online trading, with pubs, hotels, shops and businesses all looking well attended. It was like a time warp to when I was a young man.

I proceeded up the gradual hill looking for the turning on the right that I needed. Into Forest Road, some more uphill. If it had been cooler I would have appreciated them more, but there were some impressive houses on this stretch of road. I had to keep stopping to cool off despite the shady trees hereabouts. Fortunately there were some open stretches of greenery between the houses where I could stop to catch a breeze. After stopping and starting a few times I could see the summit and plodded steadily towards it. Once the road levelled and I was cooled by my own breeze I started to feel better.

Tarporley to Home
I turned right at the top then after checking the map turned left down Sapling Lane. This went steeply downhill so I just let it rip despite the surface and only slowed down when a car came the other way. Once past, the speed rose again, and even when it levelled out I kept pedalling to keep the speed up over the next rise. In no time I was in Eaton, well cooled off. I stopped to take a picture of a floral display,
P1030114.JPG

P1030115.JPG

then came to a war memorial and a junction. I went straight across, the downhill continued, I pedalled up another rise, more freewheeling. As I passed Dogmore Lane on the left I noticed that someone had been having fun rearranging the signpost arms. Fortunately I knew where I was, but someone less familiar with the area would have been misled.

More freewheeling and easy pedalling along Hickhurst Lane to Hall Lane where I turned left for home. I felt with gravity and wind assistance I’d been going quite well, but slowed down considerably when left to my own meagre resources. Approaching Darnhall, a couple of cyclists with small panniers sped past me as if I was standing still. Well, that’ll teach me. I stopped at Darnhall Village Hall to have a brief sit on a bench and a handful of jelly babies before I trundled on to Darnhall bridge, waited for the lights, sped downhill, and ground up the other side.

Soon I was approaching my back gate, looking forward to a cold drink and a shower.

I’m beginning to have more doubts about the Garmin readings when used as a bike computer, particularly the average and max speed readings. I had better averages previously with several wired bike computers, and they would register even transient max speeds more reliably.

A morale boost:- 5th metric half century this year.

I definitely don’t do heat.

A bit of fine tuning of the seat/pedal distance before the next outing, methinks.

Distance 45.41 miles. Max speed 29.8 mph. Average speed 7.1 mph. According to Garmin.
Ascent 1497 ft. According to Bikehike.

It occurs to me that this should be in Recumbent Rides. A slip of the Finger! I hope the moderators will indulge me if I also post this in there. Will get it right next time.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
1/8/24
Recumbent Ride
Whitegate Way, some shopping, and a haircut.

I’d transferred pump, lock and some tools to the bag on the Linear yesterday with a view to using it today. I’d had a tooth out at the beginning of the week but not so much pain as a feeling of being wiped out for the last couple of days. I haven’t been on the Whitegate way for months, needed a haircut and some shopping so I thought I’d combine them all in this, the first ride since being at the dentist.

I’d squirted some oil and checked the tyres yesterday so was good to go. It was cooler this morning than it has been recently but it was still t shirt and sun hat weather. Out through the back gate in the direction of Swanlow Lane, to the uphill traffic lights. A brief stop en route to book a haircut. It was an early appointment this afternoon so I could call in on the way back from my ride. Off down Swanlow Lane, up to the mini summit. I keep forgetting how comfortable this bike really is.

Juggling the possible routes in my head, I headed for the A54 roundabout. Straight on, or round to the right and downhill? A line of traffic in the left hand lane made my mind up for me, and as there was no traffic approaching I went round and the lights obligingly changed to green. Down the long dual carriageway hill, into a painted cycle lane before the lights which were red, then left on to the pavement through an obstacle course of posts for various signs, then on to the road again on Grange Lane.

I’ve become very used to the suspension on the Spirit but apart from the very worst potholes (which you tend to avoid anyway), the long frame and 700C rear wheel of the Linear combine to soak up the majority of the road bumps without raising an eyebrow. Perhaps there’s something to the saying, “Keep it Simple, Stupid”. No additional parts required. A bit different on very poor surfaces but still pretty good.

Soon I came to the point where Grange Lane turns right through an estate then out into the country. Plenty of shady trees provided shelter from the strengthening sun. I dawdled along the lane as it gradually steepened towards a dip. I saw that the potholes that had previously lain in wait at the bottom of the dip had been filled in, though there was still a lot of roadmending gravel about. I increased speed to get up the other side easily. I would have to remember this on the way back.

Before I knew it I was at the old bridge abutments of the Whitegate Way. I turned left through a barrier and up the ramp that leads to the trackbed.

This was a pleasant prospect, with its dappled shade, gentle breeze and birdsong. Many walkers with and without dogs came and went. The surface scrunched beneath my front wheel As I came to the bridge at Dalefords Lane a horse and rider appeared, but they turned off along a bridleway.

It all felt like a low effort ride, despite the gradual uphill trend. Maybe because I hadn’t ridden it for a while, I felt some of the magic of my early days with this bike. I got a ridiculous amount of pleasure from dinging my remote control cable operated bell, as I approached walkers from behind. It was one of the first things I made or modified when I got into recumbenting.

I stopped for some photos at Whitegate Station.
P1030116.JPG

P1030117.JPG

Then I carried on through the station bridge to make up some mileage. There were numerous piles of horse droppings for me to navigate, but I’d only seen one horse.

A farm crossing with the rails still in place.
P1030118.JPG

A little further on, a bank of wild flowers.
P1030119.JPG

I thought I might reach Kennel Lane bridge before turning back but time was running out. I reached a series of meres and decided to turn back there. Just before I decided to turn back, a couple on small wheeled fat tyred e bikes went past. I heard the tyres before I saw them.

Once I’d turned round I made good progress and was soon back at Whitegate.

After a brief stop to inspect the plumbing I carried on, trending downhill. Pedalling and freewheeling at intervals I was soon at the exit ramp to Grange Lane. Downhill again, through the dip and a good way up the other side before having to change down significantly. I wasn’t trying too hard as I didn’t want to overheat. Today’s ride felt easy.

I don’t know if it was the lower temperature today or the Linear but the last two longish rides I made on the Spirit were on hot days and I found them hard. They might have been just as hard if I’d been on the Linear. I’m quite tempted to do the next longish one on the Linear as a comparison.

I came to the point where Grange Lane bears left into town, and turned right into the sports complex. A bunch of adults on foot and small children on tiny wheeled scooters went by then I turned into the car park and headed for a path in the far corner.

I followed the path between the playing fields to the familiar “A” frame exit barrier. The barrier and gate alongside looked different from the last time I passed through. I wondered if the barrier had been changed, but they had just been spruced up. The slope is as steep as it gets just before the barrier. I wriggled through and launched up the lane behind with no problems. It was pleasantly shady here. I came out on an estate road, turned right uphill and gradually gained speed as it levelled off. At a T junction with Delamere St. I turned left. A little further on I stopped at a mini market for some mini groceries then pressed on across the A54 roundabout to Swanlow Lane. Near the far end I was a bit early for my haircut but didn’t have time to get home and back. I turned into a residential side road to use up some time then turned round in a cul de sac to go back, feet up, without stopping. Someone working in their garden called out “skill!” I smiled and raised my hand then carried on. Recognition at last!

I turned up for my haircut, then trundled off home to cool off and have my lunch.

Distance 11.67 miles. Max speed 27.6 mph. Average 7.3 mph. According to Garmin.
Ascent 257 ft. According to Bikehike.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I am a bit envious of those who have accessible pleasant places to ride but while I have neglected to write up my recent runs I have managed a few short trips on the Kettwiessel.
Last run was on forest tracks on a section I used to cycle on regularly on 2 wheels off a private road which I have access to.
Nice sunny morning with just enough wind to keep the midges down and an uphill start which is not ideal as it takes my legs a couple of miles to get warmed up. A reasonable surface to start and then a bit with fist size stone surface before reverting to crushed scallop shells. They were a problem a few years ago as caused lots of punctures but the years and weather have tamed them. After this a rocky surface again which rattles your eyeballs and I was thankful for my Marathon Plus rear tyres.
At the top of a rise I could see this rock surface going on for ages so decided to abandon this route and went back to a T junction and turned off to another rough surface which was not as bad as I expected before it became fairly smooth. I thought of doing a circuit but since I did not expect to be on a main road and had no flag it did not seem a good idea so turned back on the same track and then on to a different one I had been on recently which is not too bad but comes eventually to a dead end.
This latter track will, probably be impossible soon as the trees look like being ready for harvesting and the road has been reinforced in parts.
Road cycling is better but I have no roads here nowadays which are not polluted by masses of tourist traffic on single track which while mostly not dangerous is no pleasure to be constantly alert and no time to look at the scenery.
Last run a total of 12 miles but average speed about 4mph due to the surface conditions.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Recumbent Ride
3/8/24
Little Budworth

Not a bad late afternoon so I thought I’d do a few miles on the Linear. There are notices announcing the closure of Hall Lane, due to work on Darnhall Bridge, so naturally being the nosy git that I am, I had to go and have a look, and if possible squeeze through and continue my ride in that direction. I put a bit more air in the rear tyre, forgetting that last time I pumped it up to the max the minimal clearances resulting from a wide 700c tyre in a frame meant for 26” led to slight but irritating occasional contact between tyre and mudguard if dirt had built up inside. Sure enough as I got under way a rhythmic sound came from the rear. I stopped, gave the mudguard a tap, some debris dropped out and silence was restored. A surer way to avoid contact is not to inflate the tyre above about 50 PSI but once this one wears out I will look for a suitable narrower tyre. This one is a 700 by 42C but measures as 38mm wide. Perhaps a 35mm next time.

Anyhow, on I went until I reached Darnhall Bridge. It was barriered off leaving only a narrow pedestrian access. Part of the parapet had been removed and some metal bracing supported the adjacent stonework.
P1030120.JPG

As I stopped to take a picture the pat pat pat pat of a runner’s footsteps got louder until he passed me. I rolled forward and carefully pedalled through the narrow access.
P1030121.JPG

As I stopped to take a photo from the other side a man and a young girl walked by. People certainly seem to be taking advantage of the traffic free situation here to enjoy travelling on foot.
P1030123.JPG

It’s going to be closed to traffic for another month. Just before I got going the runner came past me again in the other direction.

I trundled on uphill enjoying the car free ambience until I reached the right turn to Hickhurst Lane where another “road closed” sign diverted traffic. There were more vehicles as I rolled along here into a gentle headwind, but they were still few and far between. Lolloping along on the lengthy Linear was very relaxing. I’ve recently fitted a slightly bigger front ring to the Spirit as despite the saying “you can never have too many low gears” I found the gearing a little too short and hoped to capture the more relaxed feel of the Linear by doing so. Only shorter trips so far since the change. Meanwhile the Linear was doing its LWB thing today.

Soon I came to the turning for King’s Lane. Should I turn right here or turn right further on at Dogmore Lane? A stocky figure on a mountain bike appeared ahead, pedalling furiously in my direction. I turned right into King’s Lane and after a while the mountain biker appeared in my mirror. It turned out to be a girl who stormed past me and disappeared in the distance. Perhaps this is part of her regular circuit. Who knows?

I’d noticed that the friction adjuster on the front gear changer was becoming a little slack but I though I’d see to it when I got home. Approaching a dip I changed on to the bigger ring but found the chain attempting to climb off the other side of it. I stopped and turned the crank forward while I wheeled the bike forward and with finger pressure on the chain avoided it falling off completely. The Linear has an awful lot of chain. I got back on and carried on down the dip. I would have to watch that next time.

Before long I was at Rushton Lane where I turned right and enjoyed a bit of downhill alongside the ancient red brick wall of Oulton Park. I turned left on to Brownhills Road which is in reality quite a narrow lane. From my early days of riding a recumbent on this route I knew that there was an unofficial unmarked speed hump near the drive to one of the houses on this lane. Probably got fed up with cars belting past his house. You don’t have to be going very fast on a bike to get an unexpected jolt. Having got over that I came to a high hedgebanked crossroads.

Here I turned right on to Eaton Lane which went downhill, passing the pool for Oulton Mill on the left before a short sharp climb then a longer more gentle climb through a wooded area, passing the entrance to Oulton Park motor racing circuit on the right. All quiet, no events on today.

I came to the village of Little Budworth. I had thought of taking a break by the church but I was enjoying rolling along too much. After passing through the village there was a cooling downhill before a steady climb to Park Road where I turned right. I quickly came to the A54 where I went straight across to Clay Lane. Another downhill, curving right between hedgebanks then levelling out before curving left uphill. Another long gradual climb then right before Whitegate Station bridge into the car park and through a barrier on to the rail trail.
P1030124.JPG

From here a few miles of gradual downhill along the old railway route, surrounded by trees and greenery.
I tried to take an arty shot in the mirror but ended up with a fine view of my elbow. A better shot would have followed, but the battery expired.
P1030125A.JPG

Down the exit ramp, right into Grange Lane, into a dip and a good way up the other side before getting into lower gears. These last few days of cooler weather have boosted my meagre performance. Everything feels so easy.

Right at the point where Grange Lane goes left, into the sports complex car park, along the path between the playing fields to the exit barrier, up a steep lane into an estate road, right uphill to a T junction on Delamere St. Left here, into high gear and lazily windmilling along, the road gently undulating with a downhill trend, easy speed with little effort, feeling superhuman. This is the best thing about riding a recumbent bike, when it all comes together at times like this.

At a junction on the left, what I thought was a lad on an MTB turned out to be something else, as he shortly passed me without pedalling. As he went by en route to 30 mph he laughed and said, “that bike is just soo sick!” He hadn’t turned a pedal by the time he disappeared, weaving through the traffic. No disguising that it’s an illegal over powered ebike. Here we are in the town that hosts Cheshire Police HQ and I would bet that the chances of him being stopped are immeasurably small.

I had the satisfaction of knowing that no electrons were harmed in the course of this ride (unless you count the ones that died screaming when I typed this up).

I reached the A54 roundabout and was able to carry on without stopping, in top gear, which must be a first. I carried my speed over to my turn off on Swanlow Lane, and continued to trundle on easily.

Before I knew it, I was at the lights at Townfields Road, then rushing downhill to make my uphill turn off easy. Then a lazy freewheel through the lanes to my back gate.

The Linear rests from its labours. The battery had recovered enough to make this picture its last gasp.
P1030126.JPG

A really enjoyable ride today.

Distance 14.05 miles. Max 24.1 mph. Average 8.1 mph. According to Garmin.
Ascent 398 ft. According to Bikehike.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
This morning a short trip from Connel Bridge on the A828 up the Bonawe Road for a couple of miles before turning up Moss Road. For those who may not know a moss is a Scottish term for a marsh or bog. At the top of the Moss Road the Main A828 is rejoined briefly.
The trick is to wait till all the traffic from the lights at Connel Bridge has gone hammering past and then make a dash northwards before the lights change again and the next lot appear behind before you can get on to the cyclepath.
From here I took a short visit to the village of Benderloch before returning through a campsite on an ex railway line. This leads eventually to North Connel but no planes were currently taking off or landing so back to base after about

52B6912C-79E9-4A40-884E-2B5156EB602A.png

52B6912C-79E9-4A40-884E-2B5156EB602A.png

20 miles with watery sunshine snd virtually no wind.
All the traffic I met was courteous and gave me plenty of room and waited in passing places till I passed when necessary.
A couple of pics showing the Moss Road and a bit of the cycle path.

A38B7438-FDFA-4E97-AF6A-92BA9447115B.png

This morning a short trip from Connel Bridge on the A828 up the Bonawe Road for a couple of miles before turning up Moss Road. For those who may not know a moss is a Scottish term for a marsh or bog. At the top of the Moss Road the Main A828 is rejoined briefly.
The trick is to wait till all the traffic from the lights at Connel Bridge has gone hammering past and then make a dash northwards before the lights change again and the next lot appear behind before you can get on to the cyclepath.
From here I took a short visit to the village of Benderloch before returning through a campsite on an ex railway line. This leads eventually to North Connel but no planes were currently taking off or landing so back to base after about

View attachment 740274

View attachment 740274

20 miles with watery sunshine snd virtually no wind.
All the traffic I met was courteous and gave me plenty of room and waited in passing places till I passed when necessary.
A couple of pics showing the Moss Road and a bit of the cycle path.

View attachment 740273

Starting to look a bit autumnal there, guess it comes a little earlier up where you are.
It's something I miss here, the changing of the seasons. We just get hot, hotter and hottest!

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
24/8/24
Little Budworth and the Test Hill of Doom on the Linear

The weather had been a bit variable earlier today but it looked promising for an evening ride. I hadn’t intended to go far, as I was going to go out earlier but was laid low by an unexpected migraine episode. It was just going to be a twirl round the block to get my head straight.

I set off in the direction of Darnhall Bridge, still closed to traffic due to repairs.
P1030150.JPG

P1030147.JPG

The recent wind has been blowing the barriers about.
P1030148.JPG

I enjoyed the traffic free road until I turned right on to Hickhurst Lane. I hadn’t planned on going further but it was so pleasant I decided to make a round trip of it.

There still wasn’t much about, a slight head wind, the sun getting low on the horizon, some moody cloudscapes.
P1030149.JPG

I turned right into Kings Lane after a couple of miles then right into Rushton Lane, downhill past the red brick wall of Oulton Park then left into Brownhills Road. At the next crossroads with high hedgebanks restricting the visibility I carefully turned right into Eaton Lane. There was a good rush downhill then up again, then a gentle climb through woods, passing the entrance to Oulton Park on the right. Soon I was in Little Budworth.
Little Teeny Tiny Budworth. Not many miles away is Great Budworth. Sounds as if you might be able to see it from space, but that's tiny, too.
P1030153.JPG

I rolled easily through the village, passed a pub full of noise and laughter, took some photos by the church,
P1030152.JPG

swopped my sunglasses for clear ones then pedalled downhill past the old mill and steamed up the other side. My momentum carried me up most of the other side. A couple of cars came up behind and gave me plenty of room as they passed. A little more climbing and I came to the junction with Park Road, where I turned right.

Within a mile or so I was at the crossroads with the A54. Straight across to Clay Lane through a gap in the traffic, down a narrow high hedgebanked lane, hoping not to meet anything coming the other way until it opened out. A distant car light appeared in my mirror but as I was belting downhill, sweeping right, then left as the road started to climb, he didn’t attempt to pass until I was back at my usual uphill trundling speed. Another dip and climb, and I was approaching the summit of Clay Lane at Whitegate Station bridge. The lights cycled green, then red then green again just as I reached the bridge, getting up speed down the other side. I passed a couple of modern thatched cottages then crossed Dalefords Lane on to Cinder Hill, AKA The Test Hill Of Doom.

This I named from the time when I first went down here after acquiring the Linear and finding the hard way that the rear brake that came with it was OK for everyday use but was alarmingly feeble if you wanted to stop from any higher speeds downhill. Since the weight bias is to the rear on a LWB bike, this suddenly became Very Important Indeed. This problem was solved through a helpful member of CC, and it now has a very effective olde skool BMX rear brake, which has made a huge difference.

I rode on to a stopping point before the downhill, put my flashing lights on, took my cap off, and sat on it just to show I meant business. It’s said that you should scream if you want to go faster, but I can scream until I’m hoarse, and it doesn’t make much difference. Perhaps I’m doing it wrong. The light was fading, and I was on the shady side of the sunset. No traffic about, so off I went, into high gear until I could pedal no faster, and let gravity do the work. I kept off the brakes, the wind whistled in my ears and my eyes began watering. A bit shady under the overhanging trees, would have felt a bit happier with a bit more definition of the road surface as it wound about. The speed began to decline as the slope ended, and I turned right into Grange Lane. Grange Lane itself turns right again becoming a bridle way while the lane continues straight on as Mill Lane. I was tempted to go straight on for the longer way home, but it was beginning to get dark so I took the more direct, unsurfaced route. It occurred to me that I hadn’t been this way since the beginning of this year, perhaps the end of last, so it made a change.

Grange Lane started quite well as a tarmacked entrance to some cottages, then came a barrier with an open space beyond it. Unfortunately it soon became a narrow path through a wood, almost choked in places by eye level undergrowth. I realised that it was August. Where had the rest of the year gone? I rode where I could, paddled along upright in the seat where I couldn’t. The height of the undergrowth would have made no difference if I’d been using a bike with over seat steering as the prickly, scratchy stingers were at eye height in places. I pressed on in the gathering gloom wondering how long this would go on.
P1030155.JPG

Would some passer by discover my bleached bones in the undergrowth when spring came round? The dry path became puddled, though the grip was fine. Would there be a sea of mud when I came out on the lane? I came out of the woods to find the lane was dry, with plenty of light. It was easy going, though uphill. It didn’t take long to come out on to the tarmacked road again, past the bridge abutments of the Whitegate way. I was soon passing through an estate on the way to the sports fields.

It was definitely darkening by now. Passing through the sports fields not far before the exit barrier I came across a dog walker on the phone. He pulled his dog to one side, not paying much attention until I’d got past. “Hey! It’s one of those lying-down bicycles! You don’t see those very often!” “I replied, “Well, when you get to my age, it’s nice to put your feet up.” I got through the barrier and started off again. He carried on talking to whoever was on the other end, “Yes, he’s just gone past, straight up the hill!”. That’s the trouble with an audience, just when you want to take it easy, you have to make an effort for your public, so I spun furiously until I was out of sight.

I came to an estate road where I turned right, then left on to Delamere St. I stopped to check that my rear light was still working then got going to the A54 roundabout. Although there was traffic stopped to the right on the roundabout my way was clear so I kept going until I slowed down on Swanlow Lane, then gradually built it up again. Some steady rolling then a sprint through the Townfields Road traffic lights to get me through my uphill turn off brought me home.

Sometimes, the unintended rides work out better than the carefully planned ones.

Distance 15.06 miles. Max speed 32.2 mph. Hmm. I'm gonna need a longer hill. Average 7.4 mph. According to Garmin.
Ascent 451 ft. According to Bikehike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
27/8/24
Recumbent Ride
Home to Connah’s Quay and back.

From Home to Wrenbury

Alas, not an ideal day. Some chance of showers, and a westerly wind.

Anyway, round the block, through the road works at Darnhall bridge, plodding doggedly to Wettenhall, left at the Chester -Wrexham road to Nantwich, then on to a pavement cycle path opposite Reaseheath College. I then followed a cycle path alongside the river Weaver, which was very pleasant. A passer by randomly said “That’s a fine tool you have there”. Under a road then up on to the pavement to the lights at Welsh Row. Right into Welsh Row, then eventually left into a minor road which led to the Canal bridge and the road to Wrenbury. Back into the persistent headwind again, which together with the gradual climb did nothing for my speed.

Wrenbury to Harthill
Once beyond Wrenbury, a feeling that at least the high hedge banks between here and the A49 were helping to keep the wind off, and certainly the climbing felt better. Once across the A49, through Cholmondeley, past a wooded area of ancient Scots pines. The tall trees moved majestically as the wind rumbled through them, but I couldn’t help wondering how often one of them came down. Further in, things were calmer, though the uphill was still noticeable between the reddish trunks. Soon I came out on an area with more widely spaced deciduous trees on the right, and fields with high banks on the left. The high banks kept the wind off, but the sibilant leaves were loud over the rushing of the wind. Finally I reached a summit, and the trend became downhill towards Bickerton. I was still on NCN 45. After a right turn at a T junction came a sign for Bickerton, and the road sloped downhill to a cross roads with the A534.

Once across, a gradual uphill then a steady downhill to the junction with Harthill Lane, following NCN 45 right. The climb to Harthill began, a long fairly steep climb from the junction, round a left hand bend and a short sharp pitch to the summit. The small spire of the Primary School came into view, then the low mausoleum in the churchyard, then the vista of All Saints’ Church with a similar, but much older, spire. It is so theatrical that someone could have planned the approach up the hill for dramatic effect.

Harthill to Waverton
I continued over the top without stopping and was soon getting up some good downhill speed, constrained only by the limited visibility between high hedge banks, and a winding road. I was rapidly approaching the next climb. It was steeper than the one at Harthill. Another sharp left hand bend. A truck and trailer came up behind and I pulled over and waved them past. Once round the bend the summit was visible and I spun over it. There was then a clear downhill run for several miles, after what had felt like endless uphill and headwinds, where I was able to enjoy striding along in high gear towards the muted Georgian elegance of Tattenhall. Once in Tattenhall, right at the next two junctions then left for Huxley. After crossing the railway and canal bridges in short order, some more gradual downhill speed past the turn off for Huxley heading for Waverton. I thought I was doing rather well until the downhill levelled out and a grim faced road bike rider stormed past, mostly in black. I wondered what it took to make him smile?

Once across its high traffic light controlled bridge I was accompanied on the right by the Shropshire Union Canal with its colourful boats most of the way into Waverton. Non stop so far. Definitely time for a Pie Stop at Waverton, at 32.82 miles.

Waverton to Connah’s Quay
After a welcome break, off I went up Brown Heath Road, through some roadworks, left on to Plough lane to Christleton. Right into Village Lane, through a cross roads into Little Heath Lane. Some quaint older suburbs here, everything clean and well maintained as I dawdled by. Soon I was on Bye Pass Lane then Littleton Lane. This terminated at the A51. There was a pedestrian and bike crossing some way to the right so I wheeled down the pavement and pressed the button. The traffic stopped, I crossed, and was soon rolling on the gradual uphill on Hare Lane opposite. I made a mental note to return this way. Just before I was due to turn right into Bellvue Lane there were barriers and a road closed sign.
I seem to be seeing a lot of this sort of thing recently.
P1030157.JPG

There were two works trucks parked in front of the barriers. I leaned the bike on a telephone pole and spoke to a workman in one of them to ask about access for cyclists. He said no problem, they were just going to leave, and by the time I got back to the bike, both trucks had disappeared down the road.
I turned right down Bellevue Lane following a deep trench.
P1030158.JPG

The trench and barriers ended after a few hundred yards and soon afterwards the lane turned sharp left then came to a T junction at Guilden Sutton Lane. Left here, then about a hundred yards ahead on the right was a green sign -”Greenway Chester”. I followed the sign which led to an unpaved road then a rather overgrown bridleway, more like a footpath. I seem to be negotiating a lot of this kind of thing lately, too.
P1030159.JPG

I followed this downhill for about a quarter of a mile, under a bridge, sharp left and up a ramp. Here there was a sign, left for Mickle Trafford, right for Chester City Centre/Hawarden Bridge.

I turned right and set off at a steady pace towards Chester. The Greenway here was in a cutting with tall trees either side, and overbridges at intervals. The surface is good tarmac but does have some surprising dips and rises for a rail trail. I came to a park where many people were walking after which the trail was level or higher than the surrounding area.

It had been mostly dry up to now, a few rain spots when approaching Wrenbury and Waverton, but now it started to drizzle. I crossed the Shropshire Union Canal and continued through the old station at Blacon. The rain had set in by then, no mere shower, so I carried on, hoping it would pass. There was plenty of overhanging greenery to absorb the worst of it but by the time I got near to the old RAF camp at Sealand, that too was dripping steadily. My original intention had been to press on beyond the 50 mile point, hopefully to Flint where there was a McDonalds, maybe as far as Abakhan Fabrics at Mostyn, about 56 miles, before turning back but with the unexpected headwind my schedule had been pushed back. I thought I’d give myself until 14:00 before deciding, then stretched it to15:00. Despite being wet, I was feeling good, but if it was going to continue raining, I’d prefer to be home before dark.

I pushed on to the high bridge over the dual carriageway at Sealand, then zoomed down the other side back under the trees that lined the route.
P1030162.JPG

I turned off for Hawarden Bridge and was soon climbing the ramp that led to the station. Squeezing through the A -frame barrier that led on to the combined cycleway and footway on the bridge, a train rumbled past alongside me. I dawdled across, looking at the old wooden pilings and the polished brown of the water. It was low tide, and I could smell the mud. I squeezed through another A -frame barrier and followed a sign under the bridge towards Flint. I’d noticed that the local A -frame barriers were slightly narrower than the ones nearer home, and I had to wiggle to get the seat frame through, which was not a real problem, just that it added a slight delay each time.

I was now on the Wales Coast Path, which so far seemed to be well surfaced and signposted. There were A -frame barriers interspersed with staggered U -shaped ones, which were easier to negotiate. I came across a group of cyclists who seemed to be loading their bikes into cars after a ride. I said “hi” but they seemed nonplussed by the sight of this loon riding by on this weird bike in the rain. I came to Connah’s Quay Harbour where the trail joined the road for a bit. It was nearly 15:00 so I decided to go a bit further and rejoined the signposted path for a while. It seemed a bit indirect from here, might have been quicker to use the road. Anyhow, time to turn back.

I stopped at Connah’s Quay to take a few photos
P1030163.JPG

P1030164.JPG

then pressed on to Hawarden Bridge.
P1030165.JPG

I reached the 50 mile mark as I neared the bridge, and pondered whether to make the most of the tail wind and ride the Wales Coast Path which was dead straight and flat to Chester, or go back on the Greenway which was less flat but more sheltered. A fresh burst of rain as I was crossing the bridge made my mind up for me – the Greenway it was.
P1030168.JPG

Down the ramp and back under the trees, I trundled on, now pulled by the magnetic attraction of home. The tail wind helped some, even with the surrounding trees. I climbed the high bridge at Sealand, then pedalled steadily down the other side to keep my speed up as long as possible. The speed dropped to a steady trundle. The raindrops kept falling on my head (I know a song about that), the pedals kept turning, and the landscape rolled soggily by.

There seemed to be a long long gradual uphill until I reached the old Blacon station site then things became easier. As I got closer to Chester the rain eased, then stopped. I came to the bridge over the Shropshire Union Canal, then leaned the bike against the parapet and had a walk about and a peer over the side.
P1030169.JPG

It was noticeable that walkers and cyclists at the Chester end were much friendlier than at the Hawarden end. Whether this was related to the amount of rain that habitually fell on them I couldn’t say, but I certainly felt more optimistic once I’d reached Chester.

By the time I’d reached my turn off near the end of the Greenway my trousers had dried out. I turned down the ramp, right under the bridge then ascended the bridleway to come out on Guilden Sutton Lane. Here I had a quick look at my map before deciding to turn right here for Pipers Ash. A steady climb, with traffic queuing for the major road at the T junction at the top of the hill. However, I turned left here just beforehand through some Road Closed signs and enjoyed a traffic free ride to the other side of the barriers I’d come to earlier.

I followed the footway to an open space where it swopped to the other side of the road. Here I waited while a lady cyclist came the other way. She looked as if she was enjoying the traffic fee road too. I noticed she was riding a silver ladies’ Claud Butler. After passing through the rest of the barriers I carried on down Hare Lane over the M53 and came out on the A51 at Vicar’s Cross. I used the crossing as before and was soon on Littleton Lane, then Bye Pass Lane. Little Heath Lane, Village Lane, through Christleton then Plough Lane, right through some roadworks on to Brown Heath Lane to Waverton. Alas, the pie shop had closed but with Plan B and some supplies in my bag I turned right on Eggbridge Road then stopped at the canal by Egg Bridge to recharge on a bench. This is becoming a favoured stopping point. A couple of chaps fishing, some ducks coming hopefully out of the water when they heard the rustle of a crisp packet, walkers and cyclists passing by. No rain. All very pleasant.

Waverton to Home
I put the rear flashing light on before setting off.

The last leg now, alongside the canal until the road crosses the tall bridge and the canal wanders away. To the Huxley turn off, then towards Tiverton. A few spots of rain again but it didn’t live up to its threat.

I reached the A49 at Tiverton. I switched the front flashing light on and turned left uphill. The road levelled out, I lined up with the lane for straight ahead, all set to power through then the lights changed. Pfftt! Brakes, clunking down through the gears ready for the green, foot down, twiddling of the thumbs.

A green light then the launch, on to a quieter road away from the traffic. This road, to Eaton, has a series of humps and dips which give the chance to gain and lose speed dramatically. So off up the initial climb, with traffic noise from the A49 which turns away behind, then down the other side gaining as much speed as possible downhill before losing it by the next summit. Three peaks altogether, the last one in Eaton before turning right for Hickhurst Lane. Powering downhill, lighting up a speed indicator board on the next incline with a green smiley face at 18mph before it all leaked away uphill again. Then along a series of downhills through the quiet lanes, the reward for all the hard pedalling on the narrow, potentially fast -trafficked road to Eaton.

Losing momentum but still easy pedalling to the T junction where Hickhurst Lane meets Hall Lane, then left along the temporarily traffic free route to Darnhall Bridge. Through the pedestrian access, then climbing the other side at my leisure with no worries about traffic. Coming to the end of this stretch of road I saw that I’d only done 78 miles, and went round the block to round it up to 80 miles. Disappointed that wind and weather had stopped me from doing a hundred mile ride today, though consoled myself that I’d done a kilo -metric century (about 62 m), at least. Not being any sort of athlete, I suppose I should be happy with that. There’s still the possibility that I could do it before the nights close in in a month or so, given the right weather. I would certainly like a longer look at the Wales Coast Path around Flint. Perhaps on the Spirit next time, as I’ve been experimenting with the gearing.

I arrived at my back gate at 8pm. 12 hours door to door.

As I did a near 360 degree turn in the road to access my back gate, a man on a mobility scooter called out, “that is so awesome!” and I suppose it is, really. “Thank you!” I replied.

Distance 80.11 miles Max 30.5 mph Average 7.6mph. According to Garmin.
Ascent 1792 ft. According to Bikehike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
30/8/24
A Bimble up the Whitegate Way on the Spirit.

Feeling a cold coming on today. Decided to go for a short ride to boost my immune system. Transferred tools and pump to the Spirit, then out the back gate. First ride on the HPV Spirit since the end of July. I’ve been enjoying the Linear but the Spirit feels so handy to manoeuvre and to get on and off. My first impression after exiting the gate and setting off up the road was the relative height of the bottom bracket after the relaxed height of the Linear.

To Swanlow Lane, through the uphill traffic lights, up the small summit and down again to the A54 roundabout. Across to Delamere St, Chester Road, right to Dalefords Lane then at the bottom of the first downhill, left on to a path which connects up a steep hill to the Whitegate Way. Some pushing over tree roots, some riding, then finally bumping up some rough steps to turn right on to the rail trail. It was enough of a workout getting the Spirit up here. I certainly wouldn’t want to grapple with the Linear on this stretch.

I settled down to pedal gently uphill until I’d cooled off a bit. I went through a barrier into the car park then back on the trail and was soon at the old station building and platform. The car park was busy so I took a couple of photos and scarpered.
Spirit at Whitegate 1.jpg

thumbnaiSpirit at Whitegate 3.jpg

I’d left my camera behind so made do with my phone. I don’t enjoy using the phone camera as it just feels clumsy. My camera has a screen but also a digital viewfinder for those awkward situations.

I rolled on past the end of the platform under the station bridge. There were plenty of cyclists, walkers and dogs about, and the occasional horseperson. There were damaged branches from the recent winds lying around, and near the end of the trail there was a sizeable branch across it, though I was able to get the bike over without too much difficulty. I had been feeling a bit blehh for most of the ride, but was feeling a bit better by the time I negotiated the branch. A little further on I came to a picnic area so parked up and had a drink. There wasn’t much wind, though some could be heard in the treetops. It would have been so easy to doze off.
Spirit on bench.jpg

Despite the return route being apparently uphill it felt easier. I got over the fallen branch and continued my stressless journey. Much more rapidly than expected I reached Whitegate Station bridge and from here, when it wasn’t actually downhill, it was easy pedalling.

I stopped to let a trio of horses and riders pass. These horses were enormous, and one was rather unsettled.

I carried on to to where the ramp slopes down to Grange Lane, turned right, down a dip, through an estate then through the sports fields. I didn’t meet anyone on the path to the barrier. I wriggled through, climbed the lane and came out on an estate road. Right up a hill, then left at a T junction on Delamere St.

I got some benefit here having raised the top gear by 10” recently, and running downwind.

Stopped by traffic at the A54 roundabout, then getting across the best I could.

Before long I was on Swanlow Lane, rolling through the lights on Townfields Road, and getting up my uphill turn off. I arrived at my back gate feeling much better than when I set off.

Distance13.61 miles. Max Speed 22.6 mph. Average 7.5 mph. According to Garmin.
Ascent 375 ft. According to Bikehike.

The CLWB (compact long wheelbase) style is certainly very user friendly… I had two BikeE ATs for a bit, the main issue I had was that the steering was ahead of the bottom bracket and either I have proportionately longer legs than arms or shorter arms than legs, but it never felt quite comfortable enough. That and the BikeE seat gave me terrible recumbutt - it did feel terribly upright. I’d love to try a Spirit but can’t see the arrival of one in the garage being greeted with enthusiasm !

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
The Spirit is very convenient for hopping on and off, and around town. I've made changes since I bought it but the basic design is as original. I've done some 55+ mile trips on it this year, using it on towpaths, bridleways and rail trails, which is what I bought it for. It's a very underrated bike.

I can't help thinking that for a shorter person such as myself the weight distribution works out better too, with the seat well forward, as for a taller person with the seat over the back wheel any front end lightness will be exaggerated. It's a one size frame, reputedly heavy but not noticeable on the road as it's all low down. It's given me an introduction to bikes with suspension. I'm definitely sold on that idea.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Tiny Ride Today
(illicit ride No 1)
27/9/24

I've already posted this on tiny rides but maybe readers of Recumbent Rides might appreciate it too.

Since I’m now banned from cycling or other strenuous activities apart from gentle walks for a few weeks, I’ve interpreted that as doing the cycling equivalent of a gentle walk on wheels. Minimum effort, plenty of freewheeling. I needed to test ride the newly acquired Grasshopper after doing various adjustments. Fortunately I’d pumped up the tyres to 95 psi soon after I had it, and they were still at a good pressure. I wouldn’t like to think I was overdoing things by getting out of breath pumping up my tyres. Fortunately I have a track pump if it comes to the crunch.

I went out through the back gate, leaned the bike against the fence and shut the gate. I got on and waited while a middle aged woman came by with a small dog. It became absolutely terrified when it saw the bike, whimpering, crawling on its belly, rolling its eyes and straining at the lead to get away. I spoke to it, saying, “it’s just a man on a bike, you know”, but it made no difference. The woman got annoyed with the dog, saying, “He’s just being silly”. I’ve seen dogs that were afraid of bikes before but this was pretty extreme.

They went by and I dropped down on to the road. A couple of turns of the pedals and I was freewheeling steadily downhill. Well, this was very nice. I could feel that the bars moved a bit if I pressed down on alternate ends but in the normal horizontal steering direction they were fine. It mentions in the online manual that this is a “feature” to prevent damage to the bars and controls if the bike goes over. I did think that it might be a bit tighter.

I turned left into an estate road and followed it to a pedestrian barrier. I had to manhandle the bike and found that a bit more friction on the bar clamp was needed. Eventually I turned the quick release through 180 degrees as the tip was just touching the mounting block preventing it from closing fully. I set off slightly uphill and the bike felt rock solid.

The only part of the bike visible from the seat is the end of the boom with its cranks, pedals, and chainwheel. I wondered about using the existing front Jubilee clip to hold a mount for the Garmin which was temporarily hanging by its lanyard behind the headrest, bumping occasionally. I passed between garden fences until I reached a road.
P1030228.JPG

P1030229.JPG

I carefully bumped down, then up the opposite kerb on to another path between back gardens.

It was mid morning with nobody about, and even at the low speeds at which I was travelling the bike was quite steady on a variety of surfaces. I was able to take several pictures while on the move. This path continued with several potential turn offs but I continued straight on.
P1030232.JPG

Eventually I reached another road which I crossed to another path opposite. Many years ago I wondered why there were no lowered kerbs here, and I’m still wondering.

Continuing between gardens with tall fences, eventually the view opened out on the right with a field and small valley, with the backs of the houses on the nearby road visible. I stopped and leaned the bike on a fence for a photo opportunity.
P1030233.JPG
P1030234.JPG
Then I got on and rode to the road where the path came out.

Despite the variable surface, it had posed no problems for the Schwalbe Kojak tyres.

Once at the road, I turned left and freewheeled the few hundred yards to my back gate.
I felt ridiculously happy despite the miniscule mileage.

Distance 1.39 miles. Max speed 13.3 mph. Average 3.9 mph. According to Garmin.
Ascent 40 ft. According to Bikehike.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A few years ago I tried a Linear at an open day at a shop in Duns who imported them. Rather liked it but could not quite make the sum of £850 or thereabouts to buy one at the time and have regretted it ever since.
I cannot now ride an upright so on three wheels instead but have often wondered if I could balance a lower two wheel recumbent.
Has anybody got any similar experience?
Nobody within my general area that I know of has a recumbent so nobody localish to ask.

grldtnr

Über Member
I can't say ,as it does depend much on the rider, but I am inclined to believe lower LWB ones will be, shorter wheelbase high racer types are twitchy.
But it depends on the rider I think, seeing as your a triker it may be exacerbated, again by how long you been triking.

Top Bottom