Rear derailleur...which screw to adjust?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

How much more movement is there on the rear mech? Doesn’t look that tight.
I'm not sure how to answer that.
By hand, I can push the mech quite far back. Trying to push it forward there is only a little movement because the mech clashes with the largest cog.
I also tried to put an S-bend in the chain using finger and thumb (see pics).

Attachments

• IMG_20240906_182639.jpg
    IMG_20240906_182639.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240906_182647.jpg
    IMG_20240906_182647.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240906_165350.jpg
    IMG_20240906_165350.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240906_165354.jpg
    IMG_20240906_165354.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 9

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Looks like there’s enough to take the links out. Push the bottom derailleur wheel forwards as far as it can go. Take a photo if you can.

Here is a photo from the manual for my bike on what it should look like in big big and through the derailleur as a setup method. The bottom derailleur wheel should always be able to move forward a little from this position. In other words that should not be the limit of ho far forward it can move and the teeth still engage the chain.

IMG_0527.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Looks like there’s enough to take the links out. Push the bottom derailleur wheel forwards as far as it can go. Take a photo if you can.

Here is a photo from the manual for my bike on what it should look like in big big and through the derailleur as a setup method. The bottom derailleur wheel should always be able to move forward a little from this position. In other words that should not be the limit of ho far forward it can move and the teeth still engage the chain.

View attachment 744205

I pushed the bottom jockey wheel by finger. I could push it until it could go no further, because it clashed with the chainstay...
IMG_20240906_190957.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
If I were you I'd take a link out.

I'd hazard a guess that taking two out might be even better.

But it's up to you now, nobody here can give you any more advice.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Remove one one inch link: no more. Then you'll find cage points at about 4 o'clock. And in small/small given that the wrap requirement of your set up is within the RD-4700's spec, the return section of the chain should be clear of the bit round the tension pulley wheel. But as said before, it doesn't matter if it isn't. Any noise is the nudge to shift to the large ring and to try a bit harder to avoid small/small.

fransky

There is never a need to go on those two, it puts to much bend in the chain for one thing.

Yes that’s true

Top Bottom